Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

Cheers :)

The 8f simply looks (and is) powerful...

I'm still scratching my head about what to do with it long term...

I think that really I need to use large radius points and I'm thinking about just re-working the board with the points (going to 1.8m) and hitch will give the enlarged station but not much more goods.

But then I think-why not just build new boards on adjustable feet using 9mm ply and then transplant the viaduct arches onto those and use large radius code 100 throughout...

I reckon 90 percent of the layout can be transplanted, but what to do about goods....maybe a future lower level yard?

I'd say for the time being use the 8f as a stand in on passenger trains (always liked seeing pictures of them on carriages (i'm not clued up on such things but would they have seen use on parcels and milk at all?)), and then in the long run when you do change the layout and add the lower level goods yard it can quite easily move over.

• Like 1

I'd say for the time being use the 8f as a stand in on passenger trains (always liked seeing pictures of them on carriages (i'm not clued up on such things but would they have seen use on parcels and milk at all?)), and then in the long run when you do change the layout and add the lower level goods yard it can quite easily move over.

It does rather look like the 8F was not used on parcels, possibly because it was not built for speed, there are a lot of pictures of 5MT parcel workings.

I'm looking at several ideas but there will be a separate goods yard (prob coal or industry and that's where the 8F will come in :)

Stanier 5MT 44871 basks in the evening sun.   It will soon take the last UP Semi Fast of the day to Marylebone.  The scene is tranquil and the evening will be given to DMU's and a parcels service :)

If you don't mind me doing so, here's my take at an atmospheric photo, but not half as good as yours.

• Like 1

After much Anyrail trial and error... mainly error...

I have two competing designs:

1) Based on Borchester Market

2) Based on Clive Mortimore's Sheffield exchange with an ex GWR low level route

Design 2 feels more inner city..

Thoughts welcome?

Both have pros and cons, the Borchester Market Type seems to be larger and more expensive to build but includes goods of all types.

The version based on Clive's plan has a mainly passenger feel but with the lower level can accommodate ex gwr workings.

Both can be expanded in the future... the GWR lines can be taken under and round. Borchester can be expanded further as per the original plan

post-22023-0-18720100-1493121206_thumb.jpg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 3

After much Anyrail trial and error... mainly error...

I have two competing designs:

1) Based on Borchester Market

2) Based on Clive Mortimore's Sheffield exchange with an ex GWR low level route

Design 2 feels more inner city..

Thoughts welcome?

Personally I like the look of the 1st one more, not entirely sure what it is about it that appeals to me though. Could be the potential for a lot of extra interest brought in by the milk/parcels siding, and the loco depot, along with the longer platforms. That being said, the 2nd one has much more of a "Minories" feel to it. 

Just my personal thoughts though.

Peter

*Edited as pressed post too soon*

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia

Thanks for the feedback, I'm swaying towards plan one, but I have to hand it to Clive his adaptation off minories is cracking!

I'm also dreaming of Castles and Halls racing under the low level section... plan 1 feels more rural and plan 2 more urban but with the colliery branch it could be set north of Nottingham, maybe instead of Cleethorpes? Daily express to London? Semi fast to Nottingham? Coal hauled by WD's and 8f's? Bournemouth to Immingham service?

Thanks for the feedback, I'm swaying towards plan one, but I have to hand it to Clive his adaptation off minories is cracking!

I'm also dreaming of Castles and Halls racing under the low level section... plan 1 feels more rural and plan 2 more urban but with the colliery branch it could be set north of Nottingham, maybe instead of Cleethorpes? Daily express to London? Semi fast to Nottingham? Coal hauled by WD's and 8f's? Bournemouth to Immingham service?

So the low level is in a completely different location to the high level?

That's the ticket :)

To be fair there is no reason I still can't add the low level... but its a lot of track and the Borchester plan feels more rural... I'm thinking somewhere like Lincolnshire- the GC had Cleethorpes and Immingham so I would imagine that they extended the London Extension up towards Lincoln and then to Immingham?

That plan you posted is excellent.   It also shows that each Railway had their own goods facility separate to the Passenger Station.   This is something I can also address, by removing the Goods Shed and MPD's... but then a lot of the operational interest gets lost.

Edited by danstercivicman

I rather like that last version. Has variety in it.

Mike

I have received 2 left long radius points and have another box on order with the double slip.  That will be it for this month in terms of track.  I'm literally going to have to buy bits each month and then later in the year get the baseboards sorted!

I have received 2 left long radius points and have another box on order with the double slip.  That will be it for this month in terms of track.  I'm literally going to have to buy bits each month and then later in the year get the baseboards sorted!

That's what I intend to do too!

That's what I intend to do too!

It's so expensive now this hobby! The only way I can achieve this plan is literally month by month but I am quite happy with it, it blends Borchester with a layout with variety :)

I think it's good to have the MPD separate and the branch to the colliery gives a reason for it :)

I have received 2 left long radius points and have another box on order with the double slip. That will be it for this month in terms of track. I'm literally going to have to buy bits each month and then later in the year get the baseboards sorted!

Given that you come up with a new plan every other day, I suggest saving the cost of a couple of turnouts every month (bank accounts are easy to set up), and then buying them once you have settled on a plan. Compromising your eventual plan because you couldn't wait to buy switches would therefore be avoided.