Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

Given that you come up with a new plan every other day, I suggest saving the cost of a couple of turnouts every month (bank accounts are easy to set up), and then buying them once you have settled on a plan. Compromising your eventual plan because you couldn't wait to buy switches would therefore be avoided.

True, although each layout has a common theme of needing sl-88's!

I'm going to stick with this plan now, which is probably a relief to everyone watching :)

I'd say for the time being use the 8f as a stand in on passenger trains (always liked seeing pictures of them on carriages (i'm not clued up on such things but would they have seen use on parcels and milk at all?)).

Not sure about Parcels but an 8F on milk would be unlikely as they normally ran at higher speeds to ensure they reached the smoke before the contents curdled. ;) A mixed traffic or even an express passenger loco would be normal fare on a milk train.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78492-minories-holborn-viaduct/?p=2470695

Does anyone have any photos of milk platforms?

Did someone call my name? :locomotive:

Yes, I have a few about. Hoses and pipes don't usually seem to have been left lying about exposed to the elements. As far as I can tell from the photographs, they were probably put away after use. One exception I can think of was Vauxhall where the milk was unloaded at the passenger station and the milk piped to the bottling plant next to the station. There were stainless steel pipes on the platform itself which can be seen here.

5375845579_36bb121a2f_b.jpg

Morden didn't have a platform, just a covered unloading area but did boast its own shunter.

5373989780_ed59186802_b.jpg

Marylebone had platforms which were also used for parcels and fish. I have not been able to find photos showing the milk being discharged. The photos are either taken from the "off-side" or were taken after the bottling plant had closed.

2650927_3cae1300.jpg

post-887-0-43554600-1427977339.jpg

post-887-0-42111600-1476266498.jpg

GMP_Slide17626_4498_35028_Marylebone_170

29491149825_81425b7ee2_b.jpg

8597696579_d25abf3705_b.jpg

• Like 5

The photos of the ones at Marylebone are just as interesting in their own right! Looks like the tender of a 'Black Five' with the Southern loco.

Yes, I believe you are right. The SR locos on the exchange trials needed tenders with water scoops as the SR did not like the idea of water troughs next to live rails. ;)

Here is a shot of the Unigate milk depot at Ilford. I believe this was taken in 1978 so only 2 years before closure. Sadly the image is too small to make out much detail on the dock itself.

3497767650_17c77fd0e0.jpg

• Like 1

Yes, I believe you are right. The SR locos on the exchange trials needed tenders with water scoops as the SR did not like the idea of water troughs next to live rails. ;)

Here is a shot of the Unigate milk depot at Ilford. I believe this was taken in 1978 so only 2 years before closure. Sadly the image is too small to make out much detail on the dock itself.

3497767650_17c77fd0e0.jpg

Your knowledge on Milk trains is impressive along with your posts on Marylebone and other items which I have scoured for references many times :)

I will be adding Milk and Parcels to the new layout.

Your right, I can find very few pics of 8F's on parcels.  It does seem that fish and parcels were mainly in the realm of XP engines which is a useful excuse for a Jubillee or Britannia :)

• Like 2

A busy morning on Hope St before work!

The Ivatt 2MT waits for the road ahead from Platform 3 with a local.

The Semi Fast stock awaits the 5MT to couple up for the 11:15 Marylebone, calling at Woodford Halse etc etc and arriving sometime around 14:00!  This is going to leave from its normal Platform 2 slot.

Meanwhile a DMU ticks over in Platform 1. 

In the loco spur the Pilot for the day a Stanier 2-6-4T Simmers awaiting its next duty.

post-22023-0-18562200-1493896705.jpg

post-22023-0-73150200-1493896705.jpg

post-22023-0-15630600-1493896706.jpg

post-22023-0-62120600-1493896706.jpg

post-22023-0-45527600-1493896707.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I got my adjustable feet from Station Road Baseboards.

Very good service, no connection etc. etc.

Paul.

Hi Dan, Most Shows have a Trade Stand that sells the feet, but I ain't found any that sells Mojo's yet, hahahha :no: :no: :no:

Good pics Buddy.

Cheers :) yeah the mojo comes and goes with layouts!

Paul.

Yep they have a good website :)

Paul.

Yep they have a good website :)

• RMweb Premium

When things got really busy on summer Saturdays, just about anything with a vacuum brake was pressed into passenger service, so there should be no problem using an 8F on the SO Hope St - Cleethorpes (summer timetable only).

When things got really busy on summer Saturdays, just about anything with a vacuum brake was pressed into passenger service, so there should be no problem using an 8F on the SO Hope St - Cleethorpes (summer timetable only).

Nice :) That's good info :) I guess it would have been old eastern and stanier stock?

Nice Shots Dan, and I'm NOT being rude when I say that I like the haziness of the Platforms in the last pic, so atmospheric mate, lovely.

Ta :)

It is just purely the natural light from the loft lights :)

I was just wondering- should I chop the water cranes down a touch? They seem quite high for the platforms?

I was just wondering- should I chop the water cranes down a touch? They seem quite high for the platforms?

Dan, in the first pic it looks much to high, but in the others, maybe just a little high, for me, it's difficult to judge.

• RMweb Gold

They are probably ones meant for mounting at ground level. This picture gives an idea of the height they should be when on the platform.  http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsa1510.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...