Why Do You Need the Car Windows Open in the Chunnel?

edcayton

It's alright leaving the windows open, but what about the monkeys?

I've never been in a car in the Chunnel, but I was told there are monkeys. Or is that Whipsnade?

There aren't any fish, either..

In the early days, I had a customer complain that her little boy was very disappointed, because he'd been looking out of the window for the entire crossing, and hadn't seen any fish.

The then-current TV advert feaured some animated fish and crustascae,

• RMweb Gold

There aren't any fish, either..

In the early days, I had a customer complain that her little boy was very disappointed, because he'd been looking out of the window for the entire crossing, and hadn't seen any fish.

The then-current TV advert feaured some animated fish and crustascae,

There was an idea, possibly even a plan, at one time to do something along those lines.  A company in Switzerland had developed some sort of projection system which showed pictures on the adjacent tunnel wall as a train passed through and not only that but it was clever enough to 'move' the picture with the train so you didn't just zoom past it as a passenger.

The Swiss idea was mainly for advertising and someone in ET decided it would be a clever idea to raise extra revenue for the company and possibly also have a bit of fun with things like fish 'swimming' alongside the train.  As Jim's assistant was in Switzerland for the timetable conference she was asked to go and have a look at the Swiss system from a passenger viewpoint so she and I duly set off to have a look at it (plus of course a lunch on ET expenses for me ;) ).  It worked quite well on new concrete tunnel lining although it wasn't 100% and I think in the end Jim decided not to proceed as it was rather pricey and it didn't look profitable.

• RMweb Premium

It's OK having the windows open unless you are parked right next to the door of a very smelly loo.  SWMBO was adamant that no way was she going to sit there for half an hour with THAT smell coming into the car.

Jamie

There was an idea, possibly even a plan, at one time to do something along those lines.  A company in Switzerland had developed some sort of projection system which showed pictures on the adjacent tunnel wall as a train passed through and not only that but it was clever enough to 'move' the picture with the train so you didn't just zoom past it as a passenger.

The Swiss idea was mainly for advertising and someone in ET decided it would be a clever idea to raise extra revenue for the company and possibly also have a bit of fun with things like fish 'swimming' alongside the train.  As Jim's assistant was in Switzerland for the timetable conference she was asked to go and have a look at the Swiss system from a passenger viewpoint so she and I duly set off to have a look at it (plus of course a lunch on ET expenses for me ;) ).  It worked quite well on new concrete tunnel lining although it wasn't 100% and I think in the end Jim decided not to proceed as it was rather pricey and it didn't look profitable.

Thank God we didn't adopt that one. I've heard of similar ideas used on Metro systems; fine when all the trains run at the same speed, not so clever if they don't. Jim was presumably Jim Evans; who was his assistant? The only person I had anything to with in that department was Paul Kneller, who looked after freight; I did some rakes of typical wagons for his office bookshelf.

• RMweb Gold

Thank God we didn't adopt that one. I've heard of similar ideas used on Metro systems; fine when all the trains run at the same speed, not so clever if they don't. Jim was presumably Jim Evans; who was his assistant? The only person I had anything to with in that department was Paul Kneller, who looked after freight; I did some rakes of typical wagons for his office bookshelf.

Jim was indeed Jim Evans and his assistant was Susan Carey.

Archived