Why Do You Need the Car Windows Open in the Chunnel?

edcayton

A friend has just been to France using the Shuttle. I'm just wondering why they tell you to open the car windows?

Cheers

Ed

It's in connection with two things. Firstly, it enables the on-board fire detection systems to detect smouldering from ashtrays etc within the vehicle. Secondly, it allows you to hear any safety messages that might be made over the PA system.

Pressure in the tunnel? quite a few car alarms are sensitive to it.

No. (sorry- didn't mean to appear abrupt) The pressure build-up one might expect is largely dissipated by the Piston Relief Ducts.

The reason is simple, having an open window allows British air to slowly leave the car as the journey progresses avoiding a sudden inflow of French air when the windows are opened in France.

The same regulations apply in all international tunnel and bridge crossings.

Sudden changes in air nationality are to be avoided and are regulated in the European Union by the  Air Directorate. 

I thought, for the time being at least, we had free movement of air? 

It allows you to get used to the whiff of garlic as you enter France.................and as you leave it allows fresh air in to remove the smell........yet another reason for Brexit................:     :rtfm:      signed Nigel.......

We've had the 'Lost Teddy' sketch- more annoying are the used nappies that inconsiderate passengers kick under their cars.

AS well as the smoke detectors (of two types), there are also UV spark detectors at floor and ceiling level, which is why you get asked to turn off headlamps and don't use flash cameras. The alarms work on the basis that a single source sets off a remote alarm, warning the crew. However, if there is already an alarm at this level of activation in the vehicle, then the gravity of the incident increases; dependent on the combination, either a layer of AFFF is discharged at floor level, or a Halon discharge, can take place, without intervention from the crew.

The reason is simple, having an open window allows British air to slowly leave the car as the journey progresses avoiding a sudden inflow of French air when the windows are opened in France.

Sudden changes in air nationality are to be avoided and are regulated in the European Union by the  Air Directorate. 

So if /When  this  Brexit  thingy  comes  to  fruition  what  will happen  then???,

Surely the windows have to left down for safety reasons in case the tunnel floods with water after it's been damaged by a dragging boat anchor in the Channel above - then it's easier to equalise the water pressure, open the door, get out and bob up to the surface. Err, hang on a minute... let me just think about that...

• RMweb Premium

It allows you to get used to the whiff of garlic as you enter France.................and as you leave it allows fresh air in to remove the smell........yet another reason for Brexit................:     :rtfm:      signed Nigel.......

As most garlic is produced in the Isle of Wight, our pungent supplies should be unaffected.

• RMweb Premium

It's in connection with two things. Firstly, it enables the on-board fire detection systems to detect smouldering from ashtrays etc within the vehicle. Secondly, it allows you to hear any safety messages that might be made over the PA system.

Wasn't it also to let the halon gas enter the cars in the event of a fire?

• RMweb Premium

As halon isn't allowed anymore, what is used now?

Andy G

I believe they get the French to line up at the entrance and give you a 21-bum salute.

Nothing like flatulence after manger les escargots ;)

• RMweb Gold

Sudden changes in air nationality are to be avoided and are regulated in the European Union by the Air Directorate.

So if /When this Brexit thingy comes to fruition what will happen then???,

The price of air will become more expensive.

So, when we finally remove ourselves from the happy family of Europeans and their laws, will we be able to keep our windows closed.

A slight aside here. I have previously mentioned the various fire detection systems, though there is one I have yet to mention. This is the Drainage Gas Detector, which lives below the grids along the centre of every wagon. It samples the air, and 'sniffs out' hydrocarbon vapours such as petrol or diesel fumes. It is more sensitive than most human nostrils, and will pick up not just fuel leaks, but over-full tanks- this is why you might have a crew member at your (hopefully open) window, inquiring whether you've just 'tanked up'.

As I said, this is a very sensitive system; on one occasion, I remember being asked by the Chef-du-Train to check an empty wagon, where the drainage gas alarm had just gone off. Upon opening the doors, a foul odour was evident. A fellow crew member had felt an imminent attack of flatulence, and had nipped into the empty wagon to 'relieve the pressure'; unfortunately, he had been standing close to the air-sampler when he let one rip.

• RMweb Gold

It's alright leaving the windows open, but what about the monkeys?

I've never been in a car in the Chunnel, but I was told there are monkeys. Or is that Whipsnade?

Archived