Independant siding levers - distance from toe?

• RMweb Gold

Something I cannot find is the normal minimum distance a siding lever is from the toe of the point, and how much longer should the two switch timbers be that the lever is bolted to.

Gordon A

Far enough out to clear somebody riding on the step of a pilot - probably a few feet but i never bothered to measure (you don't when you walk past things like that everyday).

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andyb, your photos appear to show the levers closer to the rails than I expected.

Gordon A

There should be sufficient room for somebody to walk between a vehicle on the track and the handlever.  I think the only ones that might be closer in are much older two-way levers at ground level (as seen in Mick Nicholson's pic above although that example is spaced quite a way out).  I have never seen one way levers (such as those in the link - they are incidentally one way levers as the mechanism clearly shows) mounted close in apart from the ones that fold down completely to ground level and, again, some older examples of those tended to be closer in than is the case wit more recent installations.

• RMweb Gold

They are confusingly classed as 'treble leverage- 2way' pull levers. Makers stamped on the the top plates of the ones pictured in the link at Thirsk yard.

Very confusingly  - they are definitely one way levers judging by the mechanisms,  i.e. the lever is only pulled one way to move the points either way.  The spring is part of the mechanism to ensure that a shaped metal plate in teh mechanism moves over centre each time the lever is pulled and it changes the direction in which the drive rod moves (a very simplified descrition!).

• 2 months later...

Archived