K's kit instruction help

I am currently packing all the contents of my house before placing it on the market and in the process have found a large number of models and kits I purchased in over the last thirty to forty years that I had totally forgotten about. 

Yesterday I came across one of the K's Milestones range, a LSWR 2-4-0 tender loco - a Beattie design I think but could be wrong. After a quick inspection the kit appears to be complete but with the box and instruction sheet/s no longer present. I can easily work out how the body fits together but I am at a total loss on how the cylinders etc. are assembled. Does anyone out in forum land have a copy of these instructions that they are able to scan and send via a PM?  

This model has the usual brass frames and K's wheels which call out for replacement. It was not supplied with a motor or gears when first released (no big loss considering the K's motors of the period) and could do with a modern brass gearbox and motor combination.

Also found at the same time were two other kits from the Milestones range. One was the L&M 'Lion' 0-4-2 which I had built in motorised form as the Titfield Thunderbolt and later dismantled as it was a poor runner. The other is the LNWR 'Problem' class 2-2-2 which I had started and then put away. With some of the other kits I found a couple of weeks ago this now gives me two 'Lion' and three 'Problem' class to build when I finally move.

Dave R.    

Dave

Sorry cannot help you with the instructions, though K's kit instructions were mostly in the form of an exploded diagram. Glad you are going to build them rather than sell, which is often the case these days.  I could be wrong but I have a vague idea the milestone kits were sold un-motorised, yes the wheels and motors of this era had changed for the worst.

It has been mooted several times that an archive of older instructions would be a super resource, hopefully some one may come to your rescue. Might be worth contacting the Nucast partnership to see if they have any copies but again vaguely remember it being reported that the Milestone range went elsewhere  

G'day John,

The Milestones range were all sold without the motors and gears. They advised on the box that you could purchase them from K's seperately though any sensible modeller would look elsewhere for these items. 

Thanks for the suggestion about the Nucast Partnership. I'll give them a try as they may have some of the old Keyser records and instructions. I believe that the Milestones range went to IKB Models - I know they re-released the Lion and some of the GWR models from that range before closing. What happened to the masters after that? I wish I knew as I had an order with a model shop here in Adelaide for some of the other Milestone models including 2 of the GWR 4-4-0 and BG Rover. The owner decided to retire and closed the shop when he could not sell it as a going concern after cancelling all outstanding orders so I missed out. I believe that the BG Society took over the IKB 7 foot gauge models but none of the rest of the range.

I have been building various K's, GEM, Finecast etc. kits since the late 1970's. Personally I can't see the point of buying a kit just to sell unmade at a later point in time. My philosophy is that they were designed to be built and built they must be! Sometimes I will sell off a completed model if I have built a better version later but I am always reluctant to part with anything no matter how crude it might be. I reluctantly had to sell part of my collection in the late 80's when unemployed after an accident and always regretted it later.  

The final motor supplied with the K's kits were not the most reliable. I used they K's wheels in some of the earlier kits I've built but I am slowly replacing them all with Romfords or Gibson. When my change of address is finally completed I may get around to dismantling some of my earlier efforts and give them a sypathetic rebuild.

Dave R. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently packing all the contents of my house before placing it on the market and in the process have found a large number of models and kits I purchased in over the last thirty to forty years that I had totally forgotten about. 

Yesterday I came across one of the K's Milestones range, a LSWR 2-4-0 tender loco - a Beattie design I think but could be wrong. After a quick inspection the kit appears to be complete but with the box and instruction sheet/s no longer present. I can easily work out how the body fits together but I am at a total loss on how the cylinders etc. are assembled. Does anyone out in forum land have a copy of these instructions that they are able to scan and send via a PM?  

This model has the usual brass frames and K's wheels which call out for replacement. It was not supplied with a motor or gears when first released (no big loss considering the K's motors of the period) and could do with a modern brass gearbox and motor combination.

Also found at the same time were two other kits from the Milestones range. One was the L&M 'Lion' 0-4-2 which I had built in motorised form as the Titfield Thunderbolt and later dismantled as it was a poor runner. The other is the LNWR 'Problem' class 2-2-2 which I had started and then put away. With some of the other kits I found a couple of weeks ago this now gives me two 'Lion' and three 'Problem' class to build when I finally move.

HI Dave,

Dave R.    

Hi Dave,

I have the exploded diagram and instructions you are looking for. Also the unmade kit.  Don\t know how to PM so need some other means of getting you a copy

Regards

Petertrains

Hi Dave,

I have the exploded diagram and instructions you are looking for. Also the unmade kit.  Don\t know how to PM so need some other means of getting you a copy

Regards

Petertrains

Hi Petertrains

I have sent you a PM. You should be able to reply via that.

Dave R.

Archived