Footplate Crew

Over recent times I have been getting stick for running steam locos with no crew and am now trying to put this right giving priority to "open" footplates. I have acquired a few figures from various sources which I'm painting and weathering but it would be good to know what others think works best in terms of whose models they would recommend, which poses work well and which glue works best when fitting white metal figures to plastic footplates or already painted metal (kit built) footplates. Advice/experiences appreciated.

A little trick I use when adding crew to the footplate. I cut a copy of the cab floor in either plasticard or thin brass (with and without fall plates). I glue the painted crew to this false floor with superglue and paint it before fitting. If the false floor is a tight fit you can often get away without securing it to the existing floor. A small blob of blu-tack is sufficient to hold a more loosely cut example. One advantage of this method is that you don't mess up the floor of an expensive model. Another is that you can transfer crews from one loco to another fairly easily.

Dave R. 

• RMweb Gold

I use Falcon Masterpiece Figures by Martin Hill; their is no website for them but they have featured in a number of magazines over the past few years and appear regularly at shows.

They are always well reviewed and they tend to produce crew to fit specific RTR locos, but I have also used them to great effect in a large number of kit built locos.

I have no connection with them other than as a satisfied customer.

You can reach them and obtain a catlaogue from:

Mr M.R Hill
20 Millvale Meadows
Milland
Liphook
Hampshire
GU30 7LZ

01428 741426

Archived