Eastern Branch Line track plan help needed

Earl Bathurst

• RMweb Premium

As has I think be mentioned the GERS did produce a trackplans book in various formats, I have a softbound version from 1986, and you may be able to find a copy somewhere; ISBN 0 906669 02 2

post-12706-0-01806400-1483273238.jpg

The diagrams are small scale but cover virtually every bit of track on the GER at the timescale, and if nothing else help show that terminus stations are few in number compared to through ones, and even fewer are small in nature. Indeed it's interesting to see just how big most stations were in respect of sidings etc. whether on a main or branch line.

Perhaps the suggestion in post #3 to produce a 'generic' type layout with the buildings and stock indicating the layout era/region is the easiest solution if a particular station isn't being modelled. Especially as with a limited space it's often difficult to arrive at a track layout that will be significantly different to what others will produce. There is only a fairly limited number of arrangements that can be devised using a smallish number of points that will look right and work.

Izzy

old-maps.co.uk could be your friend:

gallery_23983_3473_128877.jpg

Goods only*, though, so no three-coach trains, and shunting on those wagon turntables would be...interesting.  Might be a challenge fitting the maltings on to 8'x2' anyway.  The end of the run-round loop extending over the public road could be interesting to model and operate.

UPDATE: There is a thread on RMWeb here by someone who had a go at modelling Snape in 2mm FS.  I'm not sure about the reference to a "passenger style platform". although there does seem to have been some kind of platform (there is a line drawn on the map, alongside the track in front of what appears to be the station building, which is usually how the OS represented platforms on the older style maps).

UPDATE 2: "The Snape Branch" by Peter Paye (ISBN 978-0853616412) is published by the Oakwood Press (now owned by Stenlake Publishing).  The Great Eastern Railway Society newsletter has also had a number of references to Snape over the years - you need to be (or know) a member to get access.

* Much to the disgust of a certain S.P. Chuter, as recorded in this letter of 1893.  According to Wiki a passenger station was also proposed for Snape Junction, and even appeared in timetables for a while, but was never built.

Looking at Norfolk, another one that might fit is Hunstanton.  I was recently researching the line between Kings Lynn and Sunny Hunny as we are moving to a house right beside the line in a couple of weeks. I did find a video on youtube by John Betjeman although the bit I was looking for did not feature.

A couple of other possible sources of inspiration.

Mildenhall

I really like Mildenhall - it's a bit different, although as previously noted quite sprawling. The vital elements of the trackplan could be retained however with some selective compression.

Peter Paye's book on the branch is a smashing volume too, inspirational and covered in incredible detail. I'd highly recommend it!

"Trains split at Thorpe-le-soken for Walton and Clacton so a three coach train pulled by a B12, D16 (LNER era) or a B1, B17 (BR era) are perfectly suitable for Liverpool st Trains. J15 on local services and goods. An N2 could be used in lieu of a N7 as station pilot Ivatt 2mt or L1 could also be suitable depending on timeframe. Walton-on-the-Naze also includes a turntable so it is well suited to 4-6-0s."

This confirms it!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=49UgGlR4DkA

As others have said, your proposed loco roster would be GE area of Eastern Region. The NE Region largely corresponded with the former North Eastern Railway pre-grouping, and stock as appropriate.

Regarding B12s / B17s, I've a photo, from the B17 society, of a B17 at Bury St. Edmund's shed towards the end of steam, which I believe was on a single track branch and fairly rural?, so a B12 shouldn't look that out of place on your proposed scheme, perhaps a through portion from London?

I lived in Bury St. Edmunds from 1944 - 1965 and commenced "trainspotting" in 1948. In those days it was and still is on the double track main line between Ipswich and Cambridge. Prior to closure circa 1960 (actual dates can be Googled ) there was a single line to Thetford and a single line to Sudbury/Marks Tey by way of a junction east of the station controlled by the Bury St. Edmunds Jct. signal box.  I can agree the "fairly rural " notation but not the  "single track branch" notation.  

Whilst well before your intended period the station was a terminus from the Ipswich direction , thus the attractive towers at the east end of the station which remain to this day.

I look forward to seeing your final choice of location and subsequent model..........assuming it is the GER (my RMweb user name) of course !    

Your locomotive stud isn't North Eastern it is Great Eastern except for the J50 which was Great Northern.

An East Anglian layout would lend itself to the space available to you, i don't have any suggested stations though.

In case you have already purchased a J50 locomotive then all may not be lost as a few were allocated to the GER !

68899 (32A);68905 (32A); 68924 (32A); 68950 (30A); 68963 (30A);68965 (30A); 68967 (30A); 68977 (30A) @ 19th July 1952 per Ian Allan Locoshed Book.

68899 (30A);68905 (30A); 68924 (30A); @ 21st May 1960 per Ian Allan Locoshed Book Summer 1960.

Slight variants on these dates can be seen in "BR STEAM MOTIVE POWER DEPOTS ER" by Paul Bolger.

I really like Mildenhall - it's a bit different, although as previously noted quite sprawling. The vital elements of the trackplan could be retained however with some selective compression.

Peter Paye's book on the branch is a smashing volume too, inspirational and covered in incredible detail. I'd highly recommend it!

If you do need some inspiration, highly recommended reading... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mildenhall-Branch-Peter-Paye/dp/0906867681

"Trains split at Thorpe-le-soken for Walton and Clacton so a three coach train pulled by a B12, D16 (LNER era) or a B1, B17 (BR era) are perfectly suitable for Liverpool st Trains. J15 on local services and goods. An N2 could be used in lieu of a N7 as station pilot Ivatt 2mt or L1 could also be suitable depending on timeframe. Walton-on-the-Naze also includes a turntable so it is well suited to 4-6-0s."

This confirms it!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=49UgGlR4DkA

Trains did indeed split at Thorpe-le-Soken but the main part with the train engine went on to Clacton. This even applied in EMU days.

Looking at Norfolk, another one that might fit is Hunstanton.  I was recently researching the line between Kings Lynn and Sunny Hunny as we are moving to a house right beside the line in a couple of weeks. I did find a video on youtube by John Betjeman although the bit I was looking for did not feature.

Hunstanton was huuuuge. You'd need about 30 feet by 5 to fit that in even with a modicum of compression. Definitely isn't going to fit on an 8x2. Ever thought of Z gauge?

Hunstanton was huuuuge. You'd need about 30 feet by 5 to fit that in even with a modicum of compression. Definitely isn't going to fit on an 8x2. Ever thought of Z gauge?

Ditto for most East Anglian termini to be honest. 8' is only going to allow a flavour of any example, or maybe a better an amalgam/picture of various locations to be developed

Archived