What's New from Legomanbiffo !

charliepetty

Hang onto your hats, two brand new Class 37 sound sets will be available to purchase and listen to at York, based on my recordings of 37674 at the Wensleydale Railway as featured here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1K0lhwlp3k

There will be one suitable for 37/0's and a refurbished one suitable for 37/4, 37/5, 37/6 or 37/7.

Unlike the previous 37's I've recorded, this one has a really nice rolling idle. As before there are four different ways of pulling away, from gentle to full thrash. However, there is a thrash-tastic twist in the tail this time! If you open the throttle wide from stationary the loco tries to do a full thrash take off but slips repeatedly and spools down each time. Eventually it finds its feet and continues at full thrash. Whilst the engine is spooling down each time the speed does not increase, so you see a surging effect just like the real thing. You can stop the slipping at any time by backing off the throttle just slightly from maximum (if you only wanted it to slip once for example). You can still pull away on full thrash without slipping at all by opening the throttle to around 90% rather than all the way. Many of the auxiliary sounds are completely new (horns, sanders and exhausters etc). And if that's not enough to entice you I have also implemented the ESU manual brake function on F5 so you can brake using a button should you wish.

Also available will be my sounds for the Heljan Class 14 Teddy Bear and as Charlie stated above, a demonstration of the new Realtrack 156 with a host of great sound and light features.

Looking forward to catching up with you all again at York.

Bif

Well there goes my spending money earthmovers and sound are you doing reblows with the new 37 sound and functions

Would the F5 brake be able to swapped with F2?   I have an ECoS and the brake on F2 will enable the 4Way toggle to be used as the brake.  I have moved Fn's on LoKsound decoders, but I don't know if this F5 brake is locked or just plain too complicated to move.

Sure sounds interesting.

• RMweb Premium

I received the new Class 37/0 file from Biff and its absolutely brilliant. The engine is crisper and has captured the tractor sound very well. I will be doing a slight fiddle with the F keys but that is so easy with a V4 decoder. 

Reply to Tankdave, yes if you have the means (I have a Lokprogrammer and software plus JMRI Decoderpro) but you will have to move the high horn as its on F2.  

Well Done Biff and Charlie  :sungum:

Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter, my ECoS will me to allow me to swap Function buttons on ESU decoders easily. It loads up profiles, making it able to re-allocate slots to Fn Keys, but sometimes it won't and I'm still trying to understand this?

"this may be stupid but I do not know?" Where do I get a V4 decoder comtaining these new files loaded o to it?  I don't believe my usual source supplies Leggoman files?

I have two Bachmann 37's with 21pin sockets, suitable speakers will also be needed.

Thanks in advance.

Tankdave, you can buy v4 chips loaded with any of my sounds from DC Kits in Leeds. I keep all of the blank chips here and reblow them to order. I also keep a large selection of different speakers which again you can order from DC Kits. We're always happy to advise on which speakers to use for best results. We also offer a range of different sound fitting options on most locos. Hope this helps, Bif

Edited by legomanbiffo

Hi.charlie

My last couple of sound chips from you had a pleasant surprise........the directional lights faded gradually, when changing direction. A very nice touch. Is it possible for me to add this feature using a CV change, or is a reblow necessary ?

cheers

To add this feature to the front and rear lights on one of my projects, change the following CV's, in order;

CV 31 to 16 and CV32 to 0 to set the index pointer

CV 259 to 2 (to change the front lights to slow fade)

CV 267 to 2 (to change the rear lights to slow fade)

Substituting 2 for 0 in CV's 259 and 267 in the above sequence resets them back to instant on / off

Bif

Hi Bif

Just a quick post to say how happy I am with your class 14 sound chip, it sounds superb.

Rob

Having also heard it - all I can say is what he said!!!

Just fitted an EM2 speaker in my O Gauge Class 26 (using your sound chip). Again sounds fantastic. Just need an EM3 for my 37 now, any news on delivery of these?

Rob / Mike, pleased to hear that you like the Class 14 sound, it's one of my favourites. I've yet to hear it in 7mm but if our 4mm demo model with two sugar cubes is anything to go by it should be good.

Charlie has EM1's and 2's in stock and I have 3's here. If you'd like any 3's send me a PM or email. EM3's are only 2W so you need to be very careful with XL's.

Bif

Having also heard it - all I can say is what he said!!!

Just fitted an EM2 speaker in my O Gauge Class 26 (using your sound chip). Again sounds fantastic. Just need an EM3 for my 37 now, any news on delivery of these?

What chip is in your 26? EM1's are only 1W and could only be used on an XL at very low volume settings.

What chip is in your 26? EM1's are only 1W and could only be used on an XL at very low volume settings.

Hi Ian.

The decoder is the "standard (OO)" V4 decoder, not the XL. The locos is a Heljan model with one motor removed and has been running fine for the last year with this decoder. Note the speaker is an EM2 not an EM1.

I'll PM you re the EM3.

Edited by mike knowles

Bob,

Dimensions are in one of these threads somewhere. Their two notable merits are very high clarity and a bass response that exceeds any speaker of a comparable size by some margin.

Mike,

Relieved to hear you're using a standard chip, that will be fine with an EM2 even on full volume.

Bif

Just had another listen to it whilst wearing my hearing aid. Even more awesome!

Watch your Wattage on the XL Decoder, on full volume the can pump out 10Watts, the speakers cannot handle 3 Watts by itself, fit another 3 Watt speaker in series IF you want higher outdoors style volume levels.    Charlie

Bif,

My enquiry was about the relative merits of one EM vs another.

Also, I can find questions about the speaker dimensions but can't find the answers.

Bob

The EM2s are 29mm X 65mm X 14.2mm Deep, the Bass reproduction will exceed 'ALL OTHER' speakers available, Honest!!!   Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

IF you like Class 37s, we have introduced our FIFTH different version!!   This all new Class 37 was recorded on the Wensleydale Railway in North Yorkshire some time ago, this vastly upgraded project features:

DriveLock. (Throttle Control)

Wheel Slip (If you drive from starting the loco will slip, drive normally it won't) 

The Wheel Slip feature is brilliant.     See us at the following shows and ask for a demo!

L&Y DCC Show Manchester

RailEx Aylesbury

DEMU Modern Image Show Burton on Trent

Great Central Railway Model Event

Perth Model Railway Show

Midland Railway Centre Model Event

Railex North East, North Shields Newcastle

St Andrews (Scotland) Model Rail Show

See you there.    Charlie, Steve & Biff.

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

IF you like Class 37s, we have introduced our FIFTH different version!!   This all new Class 37 was recorded on the Wensleydale Railway in North Yorkshire some time ago, this vastly upgraded project features:

DriveLock. (Throttle Control)

Wheel Slip (If you drive from starting the loco will slip, drive normally it won't) 

The Wheel Slip feature is brilliant.     See us at the following shows and ask for a demo!

L&Y DCC Show Manchester

RailEx Aylesbury

DEMU Modern Image Show Burton on Trent

Great Central Railway Model Event

Perth Model Railway Show

Midland Railway Centre Model Event

Railex North East, North Shields Newcastle

St Andrews (Scotland) Model Rail Show

See you there.    Charlie, Steve & Biff.

WOW now that is very impressive ! Finally we are getting very close to how a real 37 sounds in a model.....the added weight/depth to sound makes all the difference .....great stuff guys...... :yes:

I'm pleased to hear that you like it. I can't believe I didn't think of it before really. Our recording session at the Wensleydale railway was on a very damp day and when we tried to record the 'full thrash' take-offs on wet rail it took quite a few attempts to get one without slipping. I ended up with a lot of wheelslip recordings and thought hmmm....

It's worth pointing out that you can still thrash away from stationary without slipping if you want to. All I've done is to add a fifth way to depart on top if the four that were already there. If you want to slip, open the throttle wide open and leave it there. Open it almost wide open and you'll get full thrash without slipping. It's also very easy to control how many slip cycles you get (by backing off the throttle slightly when you've had enough). If you leave it fully open you'll get about 5 slip cycles until the loco finds its feet.

Bif

• Like 2

I'm pleased to hear that you like it. I can't believe I didn't think of it before really. Our recording session at the Wensleydale railway was on a very damp day and when we tried to record the 'full thrash' take-offs on wet rail it took quite a few attempts to get one without slipping. I ended up with a lot of wheelslip recordings and thought hmmm....

It's worth pointing out that you can still thrash away from stationary without slipping if you want to. All I've done is to add a fifth way to depart on top if the four that were already there. If you want to slip, open the throttle wide open and leave it there. Open it almost wide open and you'll get full thrash without slipping. It's also very easy to control how many slip cycles you get (by backing off the throttle slightly when you've had enough). If you leave it fully open you'll get about 5 slip cycles until the loco finds its feet.

Bif

Like it !  very much so - gonna need more EM2's also ........... ...................... hopefully re-blows avail at Perth next month ? 

Regards

Ken

Like it !  very much so - gonna need more EM2's also ........... ...................... hopefully re-blows avail at Perth next month ? 

Regards

Ken

Reblow's are available to all at Perth, don't forget the NEW Bachmann sound loco's cannot be Re-Blown!   Charlie