Difference between Collett and Modified Halls

• RMweb Gold

Given the issues with the front end of the Bachmann modified hall, along with its poor design from the perspective of DCC conversion, I am starting to think about an alternative approach working from the Hornby original / Collett Hall.

My logic is that the steam pipes need replacing no matter what, so that is one difference sorted.

So the remaining work needed is the chimney, does anyone actually make a modified hall chimney? It's the only part I haven't been able to find.

Front bogie - again not sure of a replacement, but fairly sure I have two suitable bogies in my county project box.

Fire iron tunnel - scratch build from plastic

Hawksworth tender - Hornby ex Wellington

Front end - plastic for the extended frame along with the brassmasters conversion bits for the smokebox saddle and squared buffer beam

I think that is everything, unless I've missed any other details? It sounds pretty feasible?

The footplate drop is further forward on a Mod. Hall, so there is a sizeable gap between that and the cylinders when viewed broadside. It also means the lower section of footplate above the buffer beam is correspondingly shorter.

The cylinder wrappers have a short vertical upper section that appears almost flush with the valencing.

Motion bracket is different too.

Unlike the Collett Hall, the cab front is not recessed with the front edge of the cabsides but flush, and I think the rivets may be visible.

Not as easy as it looks - I looked at doing a similar conversion for the Finney Hall, with help from the Brassmasters parts. I remember seeing that the late John Hayes had managed a conversion many years ago, and he hadn't enjoyed doing it either.

Chimneys: Falcon Brass certainly made one (I have it), and Chris Parrish at Perseverance may still have it in his list.

The footplate drop is further forward on a Mod. Hall, so there is a sizeable gap between that and the cylinders when viewed broadside. It also means the lower section of footplate above the buffer beam is correspondingly shorter.

The cylinder wrappers have a short vertical upper section that appears almost flush with the valencing.

Motion bracket is different too.

Unlike the Collett Hall, the cab front is not recessed with the front edge of the cabsides but flush, and I think the rivets may be visible.

Not as easy as it looks - I looked at doing a similar conversion for the Finney Hall, with help from the Brassmasters parts. I remember seeing that the late John Hayes had managed a conversion many years ago, and he hadn't enjoyed doing it either.

Chimneys: Falcon Brass certainly made one (I have it), and Chris Parrish at Perseverance may still have it in his list.

Hello Horsetan.

While you're focused on 6959s, can I ask what your views are on the chassis for the Nu-Cast Modified Hall please? You've said before that you thought the Nu-Cast kit was the best representation of the type so far but on another forum Ian Rice described the chassis as 'execrable'. 

Hello Horsetan.

While you're focused on 6959s, can I ask what your views are on the chassis for the Nu-Cast Modified Hall please? You've said before that you thought the Nu-Cast kit was the best representation of the type so far but on another forum Ian Rice described the chassis as 'execrable'.

The body looked like a Modified Hall alright, but the chassis has long been superseded: Perseverance and Comet both produce chassis that are better suited since they don't rely on machined blocks!

Archived