Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Farmer's Drove late 70s in the fens

sf315

Have been giving sugar beet some thought on what I could use to represent the sugar beets. Best idea I have come up with as yet is poppy seeds from the spices rack. Wagons wise I intend to use 16 ton mineral wagons. It's another traffic for the yard.

Ideas anyone??

Thanks

Steve.

Have been giving sugar beet some thought on what I could use to represent the sugar beets. Best idea I have come up with as yet is poppy seeds from the spices rack. Wagons wise I intend to use 16 ton mineral wagons. It's another traffic for the yard.

Ideas anyone??

Thanks

Steve.

Is there not any feminine products in your draw you could use? :-).

Don't laugh but my wife suggested these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SODIAL-Fashion-plastic-Manicures-Pedicures/dp/B00A7315Z4/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1490728277&sr=8-5&keywords=nail+beads+caviar

Carl

Thems are bazzing Carl

not really my colours though.

Think I'll have to be having a word with your wife.

I seem to remember a certain class 33 you bought at Milton Keynes show.

The spice rack I spotted the seeds in is the girlfriends spice rack.

Thanks for the idea though

Steve

• Like 1

Hello all

The track arrived yesterday for the fiddle yard. Cannot complain about the service it was only ordered Wednesday at about 6pm and i got it at 1pm on Friday. I already have an idea for a plan for the fiddle on what its going to look like. Will have a look later on to see if it fits and gives me storage for the trains i want to run on the layout. The track in the fiddle is all going to be code 80 using insulfrog points medium radius with a couple of setrack points and the new curved setrack point as well. Looking to get about 4 through loops and 8 dead end roads in the space.

more later thanks

Steve

• Like 1

Hello

I used to load sugar beet into mineral wagons when I was a teenager by hand. That was after we had loaded them by hand in the field onto the trailer to take them to the siding in the farm yard. Always cold as I remember but at least working got you warm . Very muddy as well.. Seeds sounds great for the beet, especially in N. keep up the good work.

Cheers

George

• Like 1

Hello George

Hope all is ok your end and you enjoyed last weekend.

How big then would you say a sugar beet is in diameter as I've only seen them in mounds at a fields edge as I've been driving by never thought I'd need to know how big they actually were.

Since you have firsthand knowledge of loading them how much did they fill the wagons. I would of thought weightwise beet was on par with coal so did they load them pretty much to the top with beets.

Anyway the N version of FSP is coming along nicely.

Thanks

Steve.

• Like 1

Hello

I am fine Steve and hope you are as well. A sugar beet is like a very big Parsnip, though a little bit longer and an awful lot fatter. Diameter across the top a good 9ins. When they are harvested the tops are cut off along with the leaves. We used to load them using root forks which are like large muck fork but with little round lumps on the end of the tines so they don't pierce the roots. I seem to remember that we loaded them levelish with the top of the wagon though after over fifty years my memory may be playing me false. Our crop used to go to Peterborough which is where I imagine your crop would go to. The factory used to be near the station on the way out to Northampton, long gone now, closing in 1991, along with many of the others. The four remaining plants are at Bury St Edmunds, Cantley,(nr Norwich), Whissington and Newark. The railway line we used to load the sugar beet was the industrial iron stone track from the Market Harborough-Northampton line which ran through top of our yard to the ironsone quarry at Pitsford. They would bring two or three wagons up from the exchange sidings in the morning and collect them in the late afternoon so we had to get a move on. This of course could only happen when they weren't moving iron ore trains. My father was the quarry manager. The quarry closed in 1964 along with several others in the area over the next five years they were all restored to agricultural use and very little remains to show where they were. Another local sugar beet grower, Harvey's Farms, built a ramp at Chapel Brampton station gods yard and loaded their beet there. After the closure of the ironstone line we used this as well. The ramp is now where the café coach stands in the yard at the re-opened Chapel Brampton station on the Northampton and Lamport heritage line. Hope this helps.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the comprehensive answer George very much appreciated,did think about putting a loading bank on the siding towards the drain but didn't look right so left it as a hard standing.

I intend to use the poppy seeds and seal them with varnish when made into loads and piles for the yard. They will be finished with brown washes.

Steve

• Like 1

Hello

Steve, the area where the signal box and goods shed used to stand at Middle Drove(Fenchurch St Peter) is now a large concrete pad for cleaning and stacking sugar-beet before transport to wherever. 

Cheers

George

Dead end roads in the fiddle yard laid. There will be when done storage for 13 trains. Certain roads are short but with DMUs working the passenger services they are accommodated. The other roads are generous in length for the trains I want to run.

Only the through loops to lay then think about the electrics for the point operation.

thanks

Steve

Edited by sf315
  • Like 1

Once I'd packed all the tools away I thought I can get another road in so now have got 14 trains. Will post a pic at a later date when all fastened down. Looking forward now to having a full on play with the layout to see if it runs how I want it to.

Thanks

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Beet works were also at King's Lynn and Ely. Ely went a long time before Lynn (early 80s? Although Ely Beet and Social Club still exist) whereas Lynn went in the 90's.

The smell of the campaign was a strange one, and a mark of the season when I was growing up in Lynn. Now I'm in the Fens I still catch it every now and again from Whissington.

A friend moved up from London about ten years ago, and picked up a beet and cooked it, just to see what it tasted like. The result was something along the lines of 'I wouldn't serve that to a dead cow'!

Andy G

Also a works at Bardney in Lincolnshire, which received coal deliveries by rail until the early 80s... don't think they refine sugar there anymore, but they do something to do with sugar in some way.

Also, I believe there was a rail linked works at Foley Park, Kidderminster. ....

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Also a works at Bardney in Lincolnshire, which received coal deliveries by rail until the early 80s... don't think they refine sugar there anymore, but they do something to do with sugar in some way.

Also, I believe there was a rail linked works at Foley Park, Kidderminster. ....

Disgusting of Market Harborough

There were also sugar beet factories at Spalding and Ely in my dim and distant past.

i remember the smell of British Sugar works in Peterborough in the late 80's as Dad used to drive me from Kettering to Peterborough on a Sunday evening to get a direct train back to college in Harrogate,

the site is another housing estate now but the offices are still there