GWR CLERESTORY COACHES - drawings

• RMweb Gold

Those Triangs are very well done Phil. That's a cut'n'shut that l haven't seen before!

Thanks very much, John.

Just to be clear - those are the two sides of the same coach. The plural Triangs was because I will have used two or more to get the panels as near as possible to something I had seen - probably in Michael Harris' GW Coaches 1890 - 1954 or G.M.Kichenside's Railway Carriage Album. Although I think that there was a series about GW clerestories in the model mags. around that time. 

Looking at the books now, I think the main areas that weren't too accurate were the toilet panels. I was only in my early twenties at the time. All the lettering and crests were hand painted. The gold was very gloopy Humbrol, so that was a bit of a challenge. Just as well my camera hasn't focussed that well.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

Phil - did you widen them as well, to 8'6"?

I doubt I gave that a thought! Chopping in one dimension was enough. I don't know what other people were doing at the time, but finescale we were not. My PO wagons were either Peco Wonderful (1 or 2) or Triang/Hornby converter wagons, hand-painted by me. They were cheap and had Triang couplings one end and Hornby (Peco-style) at the other. I have always thought that the Peco style couplings were the better. You could lift an item of stock off the track without half the train coming with it.

• Like 1

Plated over or painted over?

Could be either/both. Painted from either 1915 or 1917.

Photo taken from inside C.22 1357 at Didcot showing plating:—

post-26141-0-36949900-1486599749_thumb.jpg

This vehicle is pretty much as it left Departmental service & I suspect the plating dates from then.

This suggests 1915 as a probable date:—

post-26141-0-82185000-1486600232.jpg

And this implies that by 1917 the aerial threat was taken very seriously:—

post-26141-0-89614000-1486600509.jpg

As further evidence, I have a piece of plain glass recovered in 2012 from a clere body near Maidenhead that was withdrawn in 1947. It has a top layer of at least two coats of black tar/bitumen (probably dating from its early days as a residence); beneath that are multiple layers of coach brown (grey undercoat), a layer of Lake (oddly no undercoat) & finally a layer of black paint – which I interpret as WW1 blackout measures.

Pete S.

Edited by K14
  • Like 1

Like this one - 

attachicon.gifGWR ex Cambrian 060 887 Didcot 3 6 38 HJS slip.jpg

Not a slip but some more hacked about Triangs, from circa 1968 - although most of mine went SDJR blue - but as this is a GWR thread - 

attachicon.gifGWR tri-composite clerestory corridor.jpg

Looking at these, would the old triang caledonian coaches fitted with a clerestory roof achieve a similar result? Or are the sides of those too tall to 'match' other clerestory stock? Or the style of them all together too far from anything gwr to ever look right?!

• RMweb Gold

Triang, or more correctly Triang/Hornby, did sell the Caley ones with GWR livery, but they didn't look right at all. The panelling and window proportions were all wrong, as you can see here http://www.vintagemodeltrains.com/contents/en-uk/d28_triangcoaches.html

I think they would have been wider and longer than the non-corridor GWR clerestorys so switching the roofs would have been tricky to say the least. 

I am not sure how long after the GW stock the Caledonians came out, but I think there were several years when only the GW ones were available to hack. I don't remember seeing the Caley ones hacked in the same way - if at all.

Edited by phil_sutters

• 7 months later...

Referring back to the F12/11 again, I believe in later years these were used as brake composites on other services. Can anyone give any more info on that, did it involve much visible alteration (reservoirs I suppose?)

Does this help? From the livery of this F12, it must be the late 1920's onwards.

post-9992-0-01351500-1506538257_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 4

It does help indeed, thank you. Just the period I want.

Have you any idea where that picture was taken, or what sort of service these ex-slips were on?

Just outside Paddington. The building behind is the goods terminus. Nothing definite but it will be one of the slow local suburban services as it is connect to another non corridor clerestory, I would suggest one that goes off the mainline - Paddington to Wycombe via Maidenhead, or a Windsor service - Oxford via Risborough.  I have seen a shot of a County tank at Aylesbury with all non corridor clerestory stock.  The stoppers on the mainline had uniform rakes by this time.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Thanks again.

Several rural branches used non-corridor clerestory stock in the early '30's,  I wonder if they appeared there as well as in the suburbs. It would seem an appropriate use for short brake composites.

I must admit I am tempted by the Roxey kit - has anyone done one?

Edited by johnarcher