Devon Freemo Meet

Glorious NSE

Hi all, hope you've had a great Christmas and New Year. Time to start getting the planning underway for Christow modular meet 2017.

Dates this year are 6th/7th May, this does clash with Derby show for any of the midlands guys, we'll try and miss that in future years but it wasn't possible in this one. Location is the same as last year, in Christow, Devon, near Exeter.

For those that didn't make it - here's some pics from last year:

If you've been to any of the Uk Freemo modular meets before it'll be similar, a chance for a bunch of like-minded folk to get together and have fun running a layout that's far larger than any of us usually get to work, in what's hopefully a friendly and unstressed environment. Not to mention the chance to chat with other modellers.

Plan for the weekend will be very similar, i'm envisaging a similar cost per head, not more than £20 covering the venue, some basic insurance and with food included. 

It'll be a Sat AM setup, a Sunday afternoon knock-down, and we'll have space again for the ever popular bring and buy tables for unloading that stuff you never use (and going home with more of it!)

I know last year we didn't use it, but as we do have the keys a Sat Evening session is possible if folk want it, let me know.

As the RPM table wasn't that well used last year that we leave it out on this one, unless there are folk out there that really really want it. Let me know if that's the case?

Any questions, please come back to me.

If you could shoot me a reply asap to confirm if you are attending (or let me know if not) that would be great.

Module providers, if you could let me know what you're planning to bring that would be great and I can start getting a layout plan sorted out. Thanks to those who have already sent me info. If it helps, i'm going to try and get down to Western Union in Jan to have a chat.

As usual, modules need to be in working order, but don't need to be 'finished' - so if you're still working on something (or about to start even!) that's fine.

Timescale:

Module info by Early Feb please. Will be asking for freightcar details by early April to get the data-entry done.

Will be asking for your payments in Mid March, to be in by early April please.

All the best!

Edited by Glorious NSE
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's only one bit that would require a zigzag to get out, not ideal, but when an average person walking at average speed can walk all the way around the hall in about 50 seconds, i'm not sure the time to evacuate from there would be excessive in reality. Certainly less time than it would take a crowd of 200 at a concert to clear the room (we're likely to have no more than 40). How do the Fremo guys deal with that, as you guys end up with designs far more convoluted than this is?

The gaps at the stage (the small bit) ought to be larger than drawn in reality, as the measured width drawn is the width of the gap, it's wider behind the gap, and those tables are likely to be set up differently on the day...

Ref 'follow the snake' - that's the downside of flat crossings, but they are a highlight of the chosen prototype, so needs must...

• RMweb Gold

To be honest as you'd only need to slack off two clamps it would be faster to get straight out that way in an emergency, it'd take seconds. Even Mel recovering from serious illness was assembling the layout on his knees at Armitage the year before last so I don't think getting under would be an issue for many ;)

Looks good Martyn, shame I can't make it. Dan's meet will have to do and hope Armitage is a possible weekend too.

Martyn, under normal circumstances I'd agree, but people do the strangest things in emergencies!

Having had a closer look at the design (I hadn't clicked it yet :punish: ), how many storage yards and Ridgeley modules are there? :dontknow:

Well spotted! Luckily it's correct that there are two of each in play. :D

The storage yards are the two end halves (there's also an unused 4' from the middle, but having one end 4' bigger than the other is a bit pointless!) of what used to be a huge through staging yard from their roundy layout, so there's two of them, working as an 'East' and a 'West' end of the main line.

Pete who owns Ridgeley reminded me that his is designed to work either as one 8' module (8' single track one end, double track the other), or two 4' ones (1x 4', single track one end, double track the other - and 1x 4' double track) - in this case splitting them lets me use the double track one to extend a passing siding, so the main line has 3 passing sidings which will take any train that'll fit in staging.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That looks like a very nice layout chaps. Pity some of the photo's are 'a little' unclear :(

( :punish: shut up D_M, a lot of your photo's look even worse :nono: )

:sorry:

Just done a cull of the worst, now I can see them on the computer. :)

Looks really good! Great to see so many scenicked modules too. Looking forward to Armitage :-)

It was commented on several times that the standard of scenery was very good this year, several modules are works of art in their own right - great work by all involved.

Thanks to all involved for making it what it is. 

That looks damn good, the food in the kitchen, and the layout's impressive too :)

Ah well I'll just play with the big British trains instead!

You would have liked the cake selection - top work from Yvonne and Paula in the kitchen.  :locomotive:

• 10 months later...