Bachmann 158 variations

Every time I think I have got the hang of something, a little more digging reveals the next layer of confusion.

I would like to buy a class 158 DMU (OO gauge) for my pile of plywood that may one day be a layout. Regional Railways livery or perhaps Scotrail, maybe, but not of vital importance. Yet.

I saw some reference around 2012 about retooling/a new model.

There are various apparent bargains on auction websites as well as in model shops. Presumably, these are likely to be the 'old' versions?

With second-hand models, how can I tell whether it is the 'old' variation or the 'new'?

Is there a difference in product codes?

What are the differences between old and new models?

Is there a website/catalogue that explains which version of a product each product code refers to, for future confusion?

Thanks

Every time I think I have got the hang of something, a little more digging reveals the next layer of confusion.

I would like to buy a class 158 DMU (OO gauge) for my pile of plywood that may one day be a layout. Regional Railways livery or perhaps Scotrail, maybe, but not of vital importance. Yet.

I saw some reference around 2012 about retooling/a new model.

There are various apparent bargains on auction websites as well as in model shops. Presumably, these are likely to be the 'old' versions?

With second-hand models, how can I tell whether it is the 'old' variation or the 'new'?

Is there a difference in product codes?

What are the differences between old and new models?

Is there a website/catalogue that explains which version of a product each product code refers to, for future confusion?

Thanks

Hi- all Bachmanns' class 158 models will be the old ones, Bachmann have pretty much covered all class 158 liveries, up until recent, with exception of the new Northern, GWR Liveries, and South West Trains' 158's as well (any im missing?) . The newer models were to be completely redesigned, with an under floor drive system, replacing the slightly over engineered current system, despite it performing adequately, as well as new underframe detail, and lighting, although last updates for the new model were it hadn't left the Drawing stages because of issues trying to get the new drive design finalised (?)

NL

Hi- all Bachmanns' class 158 models will be the old ones, Bachmann have pretty much covered all class 158 liveries, up until recent, with exception of the new Northern, GWR Liveries, and South West Trains' 158's as well (any im missing?) . The newer models were to be completely redesigned, with an under floor drive system, replacing the slightly over engineered current system, despite it performing adequately, as well as new underframe detail, and lighting, although last updates for the new model were it hadn't left the Drawing stages because of issues trying to get the new drive design finalised (?)

NL

Aye and I hate to think what the RRP will be when this re-tooled/revised/soundfitted ?? version "finally" appears....................

• RMweb Premium

Still a way to go with the new model I'm afraid. Andy's recent posting re Bachmann for 2017  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118606-Bachmann-announce-midland-1p-class-203-bep-buffet-car-vea-prestwin-and-carflat/ shows this.

Drawing Office (China)

Class 117 DMU

Class 121 Railcar

Ransomes & Rapier 45T steam crane

J72 Class 0-6-0T (DCC Chassis Upgrade)

Class 90

Class 24/1

Class 158 (all new tooling) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Class B Bitumen TTA tank wagon

HTH

Rob

• RMweb Premium

The old 158 comes in two versions as well! The first ones the side window glazing was part of the bodyshell, later versions the side windows were a separately fitted part.

The old 158 comes in two versions as well! The first ones the side window glazing was part of the bodyshell, later versions the side windows were a separately fitted part.

I think only ref 31-500 (158791 in Regional Railways livery) was like that, I've got one. All the rest have separate window glazing, including 31-500A.

I'm not sure why they re-tooled but I remember it was some time (18 months?) after the first batch that the rest started to arrive. The only problem I had with my early one was that the ends became a bit loose, easily cured with a bit of solvent.

I think only ref 31-500 (158791 in Regional Railways livery) was like that, I've got one. All the rest have separate window glazing, including 31-500A.

I'm not sure why they re-tooled but I remember it was some time (18 months?) after the first batch that the rest started to arrive. The only problem I had with my early one was that the ends became a bit loose, easily cured with a bit of solvent.

One of my friends over here has one of those very first ones too.

I believe that there was a problem with the body shells warping on the production line (no problems with the ones that made it onto the shelves), and there was a fair reject rate, to the point that Bachmann considered the situation untenable, hence the retool and delay.

Archived