Oxford Rail 2017 announcement at London Toy Fair (24-26 Jan)

Paul.Uni

just as long as it is a new model, not an improved(????) version of one which has been done before. the Deans goods was a bad choice(unless it was the outsde framed or war department version), as would be many of the ex GWR locos, unless it was something no-one had done before. Definitely not a Terrier.

Everyone has their favourites, so what ever it is many won't be happy. Might be worth while looking at some of the early EMUs and diesel railcars. There is so much choice, how about one of the rail mounted buses as used on Col Stephens' lines. That would suit many people as it is so different. On that theme a change of gauge and some r2r 3ft gauge IOM stuff as they have already dipped their toes with the static loco. Models like these would actually be of more interest to generalpublic, outside the narrow interests of many modellers(collectors?) .

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I thought that argument had been put to bed?

Modern trains are boring and totally lack any sort of character. I'm sure I'm not an anomaly with this view.

Signed, someone born in 1991 modelling 1943.

With the greatest of respect I think you are, for want of a better word, an anomaly. (Please report to your nearest ministry of truth office for "re-education".)

When I first took an interest in what was called modern image, i.e 1970s modelling, in 1977, there were very few layouts out there for inspiration. Ian Futers and Monty Wells were like prophets crying out the good news in the wilderness. You practically never saw diesel layouts in the modelling press, nor at exhibitions. Now things are very different and will continue to change in favour of more modern modelling.

I have stuck pretty much religiously to the 1970s and whilst when I was a kid family and friends would say "why are you bothering with that new rubbish?" I'm now asked "what are you bothering with that old stuff for?!"

By the way, I agree that modern trains are boring and lack character, but anything old enough to have been painted BR blue is far from modern!

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With the greatest of respect I think you are, for want of a better word, an anomaly. (Please report to your nearest ministry of truth office for "re-education".)

When I first took an interest in what was called modern image, i.e 1970s modelling, in 1977, there were very few layouts out there for inspiration. Ian Futers and Monty Wells were like prophets crying out the good news in the wilderness. You practically never saw diesel layouts in the modelling press, nor at exhibitions. Now things are very different and will continue to change in favour of more modern modelling.

I have stuck pretty much religiously to the 1970s and whilst when I was a kid family and friends would say "why are you bothering with that new rubbish?" I'm now asked "what are you bothering with that old stuff for?!"

So, in effect, you are now no different than those of us modelling 1960-62. I follow the latter for (among other things) the sheer variety of appropriate models that are available. For much of "your" decade, all but the "cutting edge" of BR remained firmly rooted in the steam age - just minus the steam and painted different colours. 

I have difficulty with the concept of modelling the up-to-the-minute scene; presumably you have to keep updating it as the prototype develops. You, me, Edwardian and everybody doing anything else are, by definition, Historical Modellers. Personally, I'd rather go out to watch the real thing and devote my modelling time to something I can't.

The other snag is that, on the size of layout most of us have room for, prototypical present-day operation will usually consist of uniform short units making very repetitive movements. This in turn has made MPD layouts popular for exhibition purposes, where one can have the freight locos without needing the space for the long trains that most of them haul these days.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

By the way, I agree that modern trains are boring and lack character, but anything old enough to have been painted BR blue is far from modern!

He is another anomaly. 

To the extent I am influenced by nostalgia, it is (a) Rev. Awdry's Railway Series, and (b) preserved lines and model railways of my youth, which generally represented the Grouping or even Pre-Grouping scene, as this was before both modellers and preservationists switched over to all things BR.

Despite living within sight and sound of the Midland Mainline, blue diseasels left me cold.  Not even the much vaunted roar of a Deltic held any fascination, I'm afraid!  A steam whistle and exhaust beat is the only way a train will give me goose bumps.

Various publications tried to awaken enthusiasm for the 125 and the APTE, but without success.

Further, this was the national system at its depressing nadir and neither we, nor anyone we knew, would ever consider going anywhere on British Rail.  Journeys were car journeys and the only trains upon which I rode were pulled by steam engines.  I remember Rocket 150.  We drove there. 

Still, each to his own.  No doubt there are enthusiasts out there for concrete multi-storey car parks, shopping centres, pre-fab classrooms, the British Leyland Princess, the Three-Day Week, flared trousers, grey school rice pudding, Tuppaware parties, and avocado bathroom suites, and all the rest of the ghastly, tasteless, dullness of that blighted decade, the 1970s.  

I just want to forget!

• Like 2

My era choice is a combination of growing up with Thomas the Tank Engine, and a fascination for WW2 and local history. I've never really considered "What I Remember", what I do remember is very un interesting Connex livery trains...

That is entirely understandable. I love things which worked in the Southeast and grew up there long before Connex came along. But they really ruined things, and I refused to have anything Connex coloured on my layout until Kernow were disposing their last DEMUs in that colour and the new NSE batch were nearly twice that!

You are lucky Connex did not put you off trains altogether!

I am really fascinated by WWII stuff (do reacting, model tanks etc) but most of my railways is  50s/60s simply because I like the BR standards as well. But there is a growing hord of SECR stuff, some southern (I guess these 2 may be influenced by the yearly Bluebell visit) and much 80s NSE and blue grey (the last I did grow up with).

A steam whistle and exhaust beat is the only way a train will give me goose bumps.

Yep! I did used to enjoy seeing the 08 shunter that used to be on shed at Brighton just because it was a bit unusual next to all the passenger services, but I don't think they have one anymore? my old Junior school over looked the sheds, the only time I remember being excited is when a big goods train came through because that was a pretty rare occurrence,  I don't think we get goods trains pass through Brighton at all now? A goods train still might rouse my interests if I travel northwards, but those long oblong characterless passenger services all over the country do nothing for me.

I will be the first to rush to the window / lineside if I spot a steam engine passing through, shoulders jiggling with excitement  just like my Grandfather when he hears the Shoreham Airport based T-6 Harvard fly over  ;)

• Like 2

He is another anomaly.

To the extent I am influenced by nostalgia, it is (a) Rev. Awdry's Railway Series, and (b) preserved lines and model railways of my youth, which generally represented the Grouping or even Pre-Grouping scene, as this was before both modellers and preservationists switched over to all things BR.

Despite living within sight and sound of the Midland Mainline, blue diseasels left me cold. Not even the much vaunted roar of a Deltic held any fascination, I'm afraid! A steam whistle and exhaust beat is the only way a train will give me goose bumps.

Various publications tried to awaken enthusiasm for the 125 and the APTE, but without success.

Further, this was the national system at its depressing nadir and neither we, nor anyone we knew, would ever consider going anywhere on British Rail. Journeys were car journeys and the only trains upon which I rode were pulled by steam engines. I remember Rocket 150. We drove there.

Still, each to his own. No doubt there are enthusiasts out there for concrete multi-storey car parks, shopping centres, pre-fab classrooms, the British Leyland Princess, the Three-Day Week, flared trousers, grey school rice pudding, Tuppaware parties, and avocado bathroom suites, and all the rest of the ghastly, tasteless, dullness of that blighted decade, the 1970s.

I just want to forget!

Some (but by no means all!) of the music was great though

Don't model rail enthusiasts and rail enthusiasts have enough of an image problem with Joe and Joanna Numpty without engaging in civil war as to whether modern or steam trains are best?

I like steam but don't remember it on the mainline in normal service.  I like the blue era.  I like early railways. I like electrics.  I like foreign railways.  Trams.  Sprinters.  Minimum and narrow gauge. Even copper kettles - and buses.  What's more, I like seeing and travelling on current trains.  I'm not nostalgic for the past when I see the current network coping with passenger numbers that far outstrip the number of people travelling when I was a regular commuter, I think it's great and despite the press, I'm convinced we have one of the best rail networks, in terms of passenger service, in Europe.  The fact Fairbourne, population 700, has a two hourly service of air conditioned comfortable trains to Birmingham is the best ever frequency it has ever had and better than many larger towns on the Continent can dream of.

I'm planning two layouts for my shed, an LMS 1929-39 terminus and a 1965-2005 West Midlands overhead electric through station.  So, whilst I understand some lost interest in railways after George Stephenson retired whilst others consider steam only of use to brew tea, by being so partisan and narrow-focussed, you are missing out on a lot, and frankly giving our detractors the ammunition to mock and sneer. 

Broaden your horizons, you might just discover something new that fans a whole new interest.

• Like 3

With the greatest of respect I think you are, for want of a better word, an anomaly.

Well I'm another (at 30, modelling 1958).

'Modern' railways - this side of about the mid 70s - are generally bulk freight and fixed formation passenger rakes.  In terms of 'modelling' I can see how it can all be of interest (livery variation, and the fact you can walk outside and do research for detailing and painting) but in terms of 'operating', it doesnt have anywhere near the same level of interest. All a bit too efficient and block trains.

(No - I'm not trying to start the what is modelling debate, but hopefully my point is clear enough.  Plus yes, this is all my opinion. Everyone is entitled to it ;-) ).

• Like 1

Now that Hornby announced the the Class 87 (I'd be happy if Hornby did the Class 86 too as it is very similar). So how about a Class 91, accompanying Mk4 coaches and the DVT to go along with that?

I can't help thinking once an 86 comes to market a 91 and Mk4s would be an obvious next step, despite being more limited in geographical scope.  It is glamour high speed East Coast train and has run in a number of liveries, some better than others.  Plus Virgin EC plan to keep a few shortened sets after the IEP introduction for semi-fast services so they will probably be round for a while.  Certainly it would be more useful than that perennial wish list fanw**k the Class 89.

I think what everyone is missing is that Oxford is in many respects coming from left of field in selecting models and don't necessarily think the way many modellers think.  They go for what they perceive as gaps in the market

But beyond that they also seem to go for simplicity of research picking subjects where at least enough information, or 'scanability' is available to allow very cost effective development which can also be potentially quick.  So what they pick will probably come as a complete and unexpected surprise, will have been relatively straightforward to research, ideally could be scanned

This then?

post-25673-0-31066300-1484922760.jpg

• Like 3

Looks like what I would end up with if I tried to solder a white metal kit together.

Frankly, it resembles most things I turn my hand to in any medium!

(except if I was actually trying to build rustic playground equipment, it wouldn't look nearly so good as that)

Edited by Edwardian

Don't model rail enthusiasts and rail enthusiasts have enough of an image problem with Joe and Joanna Numpty without engaging in civil war as to whether modern or steam trains are best?

I think these days, there are very few debating whether modern or steam is best. In fact, I think it is the first time I see it on here.

Back in the 80s and 90s however, there was plenty of mail in the monthly magazines telling manufacturers that there were "too many kettles and they should do diesels" or "boxes on wheels were dominating the model railway shops and steam was being neglected". Some finished their letters with phrases like "they can keep their boxes on wheels for all I care...".

When I worked in the Signal Box, we often had all sorts of advice telling us what we should or should not stock, like as if our pre-order book was a poor source of such information. In some eyes you "were not a proper model shop unless you stock almost every form of etched and whitemetal kit out there plus stocked the 1000s of separate white, cast, etched parts" in existence. All this on the off chance that a local modeler needed to buy a whistle for some obscure prototype which operated at the opposite end of the country. The fact that we could order such a part for them was not enough....  (and we did carry several boxes of these bits, plus suitable kits for the local area concerned - which hardly anyone ever wanted).

Likewise Hornby & Lima were toy trains and Bachmann did not meet the national railway clubs standards for wheel profiles while Dapol was too expensive.

Ah.... those were the days.

• Like 1

I think these days, there are very few debating whether modern or steam is best. In fact, I think it is the first time I see it on here.

Back in the 80s and 90s however, there was plenty of mail in the monthly magazines telling manufacturers that there were "too many kettles and they should do diesels" or "boxes on wheels were dominating the model railway shops and steam was being neglected". Some finished their letters with phrases like "they can keep their boxes on wheels for all I care...".

When I worked in the Signal Box, we often had all sorts of advice telling us what we should or should not stock, like as if our pre-order book was a poor source of such information. In some eyes you "were not a proper model shop unless you stock almost every form of etched and whitemetal kit out there plus stocked the 1000s of separate white, cast, etched parts" in existence. All this on the off chance that a local modeler needed to buy a whistle for some obscure prototype which operated at the opposite end of the country. The fact that we could order such a part for them was not enough....  (and we did carry several boxes of these bits, plus suitable kits for the local area concerned - which hardly anyone ever wanted).

Likewise Hornby & Lima were toy trains and Bachmann did not meet the national railway clubs standards for wheel profiles while Dapol was too expensive.

Ah.... those were the days.

Oh don't mind me, I just have issues!

And my tongue is invariably lingering somewhere within reasonable proximity of my cheek.

Genuinely, I find that, at exhibitions and in magazine articles, it is seldom that I will not find something of virtue in a layout, regardless of era, scale or gauge, and that I learn at least one thing from each.  That includes blue diesel era layouts too!

It's just that I was so bl**dy relieved to escape from the '70s the first time round .... !

• Like 2

Oh don't mind me, I just have issues!

And my tongue is invariably lingering somewhere within reasonable proximity of my cheek.

Genuinely, I find that, at exhibitions and in magazine articles, it is seldom that I will not find something of virtue in a layout, regardless of era, scale or gauge, and that I learn at least one thing from each. That includes blue diesel era layouts too!

It's just that I was so bl**dy relieved to escape from the '70s the first time round .... !

But surely that meant you escaped into the era of a certain Iron Lady, and the music was rubbish......

But surely that meant you escaped into the era of a certain Iron Lady, and the music was rubbish......

Some of the music was rubbish!

Our family has a knack for being persistently badly off regardless of whether there is a boom (which always fails to reach us) or bust (which keeps us down), so much of what the '80s represented passed us by, but at least the bins were emptied and the lights stayed on!

The '80s ultimately meant the relative freedom of teenage years followed by a 3-year subsidised drinking holiday.  What's not to like?

Still didn't travel on British Rail, though!

I don't mean to start a which is best argument. Basically none is better than the other. We all have our particular idiosyncrasies and likes and dislikes and to the average non train fan we are all a bit strange anyway! My point is simply that as the generation of modeller changes, diesels and electrics will become and are becoming more popular. Yes there will still be steam modellers who never saw steam, just like there are gwr modellers who never saw the gwr. But as in my original post I'm still adamant that by and large (with some notable exceptions) we model what we know, hence the market for electrics will grow and....... to get back on topic finally, Oxford could make an electric as the market will be there for a quality model!

Having said all that, and having started a right old fuss over nothing, they'll probably do nothing of the sort and make a range of victorian 2-2-2's instead.

• Like 2