Oxford Rail 2017 announcement at London Toy Fair (24-26 Jan)

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

I was put right on this.  It is all a question of pigment, I gather, so Ultramarine and Prussian blue are derived from different pigments.  GE, I gather, was ultramarine.

Interestingly, there is a reason why it is sometimes thought of as "Royal Blue".  This describes its original use, not the shade as such. 

See https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/information-leaflets/ger-loco-blue, which I quote:

On May 6th, 1882, Queen Victoria travelled by train from Windsor to Chingford for the ceremony dedicating Epping Forest to the public. Her train was hauled from Victoria Park by ‘No. 134 Class’ 0-4-4 tank engine No. 189, which was specially painted blue for the occasion. This livery was subsequently adopted as standard for GER locomotives ...

The blue colour is often referred to as "Royal Blue", which is something of a misnomer, as the actual colour used was a deep, pure ultramarine blue, whereas the colour usually recognised as "Royal Blue" is a lighter tint. The term applied to the GER livery almost certainly is due to the circumstances of its debut on the railway scene.

As regards the N7, the issue is largely academic as No.1001 was the only class member to be painted ultramarine as a grey livery was adopted in 1915.  Interestingly No. 1000 was out-shopped in photographic grey, which it retained until c.1920.

All the others were out-shopped in war-time grey.  The photo on the Oxford site is the post-war version of the grey livery with the large train reporting numbers on the tank side, so if this livery is produced, it is good from c.1921.

I think the numbers on the side of the tanks are actually the engine's running number and not a train number - they're definitely in the same series as the running numbers.

I think the numbers on the side of the tanks are actually the engine's running number and not a train number - they're definitely in the same series as the running numbers.

That is, indeed, what I meant to say. Like the Midland system of 1908. For reporting.

But, it's a post truth era , so I think I get away with it.

• Like 1

Good cast but your bait will get more bites in the well stocked Dean Goods thread :yes:

Odd, though, go to all that trouble to correct the smokebox door, only to hide it with a dirty great snow plough.

BTW, do you get snow in the south?

Learn something every day here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Anyone else notice the slight change to the LNE cattle wagon?

Dave Franks.

You had me going for a bit - I was hoping they'd sorted out the errors on the things. 

I take it you mean the one with an impression of limewash stains on the bodywork, but didn't the abolition of that and the construction of these wagons more-or-less coincide? 

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Odd, though, go to all that trouble to correct the smokebox door, only to hide it with a dirty great snow plough.

BTW, do you get snow in the south?

Learn something every day here.

It is an oddity. I suspect it will generate many sales to collectors but few from modellers, unless of course it encourages folk to model snow scenes.

They get (or should that be got) lots of snow in many areas the Dean Goods operated in.

• RMweb Gold

Strange mix of cars on the 1990s carflat pack? Not all the same make... so you would think Motorail? However there's a police car... no that's an odd vehicle to take on holiday ;)

Maybe he was following one of the others and realised his mistake too late............

• RMweb Premium

Do you think they are teasing by showing an 86 pulling Virgin Mk3s?

No Caley 812 which is a disappointment, although I think Hornsby would make a lovely job of it. ScotRail Mk3s yippee. Prices edging up. The class B tanks a possibility , would have been better at lower cost through.

Strange mix of cars on the 1990s carflat pack? Not all the same make... so you would think Motorail? However there's a police car... no that's an odd vehicle to take on holiday ;)

Maybe he's going to the Policeman's Ball. Or they're all Police cars but the others are CID.

I'm now in a quandary. Have Class A and B Heljan tanks on order and now Oxford are going to do them. Oh well mix and match with different numbers. Oxford are doing the revised suspension version for 2 of the Class B models. Similar issue with the Warwell's, all this doubling up. Still good to have the early 2 axle GWR Toad as well as the later version from Hornby, probably released in the same year.

GER Prussian Blue?? S&D had Prussian blue not the GER, the GER blue is deep dark Ultramarine blue often referred to Royal Blue incorrectly.

I assume Oxford will also at some stage be doing the later round topped LNER/BR versions as the pictures on the website all show the earlier Belpaire firebox version.

Steve

I sincerely hope they plan to produce the round-topped version later. Very few lasted into the BR era with the Belpaire boiler.

But no announcement re reverse blue-grey mark 3s, compatible with the Rapido class 252 power cars. Will anyone do them?

Good move by Oxford, let's hope they can put the Dean goods episode behind them.

Neil

The body shell of the prototype Mk3's is very different from the production Mk3's.

The most visible is the the production ones have window frames where as on the original the windows were inset.

Just painting production ones in the original livery wold be very inaccurate. And Rapido don't do even slightly inaccurate...

Luke

Anyone else notice the slight change to the LNE cattle wagon?

Dave Franks.

You had me going for a bit - I was hoping they'd sorted out the errors on the things. 

I take it you mean the one with an impression of limewash stains on the bodywork, but didn't the abolition of that and the construction of these wagons more-or-less coincide? 

John

Yeah it looks like they have done something about the rack for the partition, the top one has been removed altogether by the looks of all the various pics on the new website, doesn't show other side though.

Dave Franks.

The body shell of the prototype Mk3's is very different from the production Mk3's.

The most visible is the the production ones have window frames where as on the original the windows were inset.

Just painting production ones in the original livery wold be very inaccurate. And Rapido don't do even slightly inaccurate...

Luke

The doors are different too with the recess just the depth of the blue band and the door handle separately recessed. The flush effect of the Firsts and Seconds was done by joggling the edges of the window holes so that the frame sat flush with the side. The slight gap was then filled with stopping to present a smooth finish - I studied the Test Car they had at one time at Peak Rail, where the stopping was starting to crack and flake. The two prototype catering coaches had the 'standard' slightly raised window frames, but still had the prototype style doors.

• Like 1

Did you notice the sound-fitted Dean Goods with plough for £22.95? That has to be the bargain of this century! Obviously a misprint. :D

Speaking of prices, their prices are creeping up to Hornby and Bachmann levels for equivalent items. That's not a complaint, but my observation is that it also means they will have to be a little more careful with featuring correct details and liveries as they will be competing more directly with the big boys rather than selling cheaper but slightly less detailed items.

They must be compensating for the bedford ca minibus they have priced at £5,754.00 

But no announcement re reverse blue-grey mark 3s, compatible with the Rapido class 252 power cars. Will anyone do them?

I'd guess it's a little premature to announce plans for reverse blue-grey, especially as we haven't even seen a pre-production model as yet for Rapido's Class252.  Oxford could probable announce them 12 months from now and likely still have them available before the power cars.  Still, I too hope that they will produce them in the future, I'm sure they will if there is a clear market for them. 

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

It is an oddity. I suspect it will generate many sales to collectors but few from modellers, unless of course it encourages folk to model snow scenes.

They get (or should that be got) lots of snow in many areas the Dean Goods operated in.

I suspect that it will sell like hotcakes - especially as it looks to have the 'long snout' pattern snowplough rather than the more upright type (which lasted to the end of WR steam) and I'm not sure how long that pattern of plough lasted.  I wonder if it will be removable?