Seen at Eastleigh - Friday 13 Jan 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

on what seemed like the coldest day since records began ( - even layered up, I had forgotten just how cold railway stations can be!), I took the opportunity of a visit to Southampton yesterday (Dad's taxi!) to spend a few hours on the bridge at Eastleigh station, just watching the trains go by.  Not having been there for the thick end of 25 years, I was horrified - not a Crompton to be seen anywhere and more 'sheds' than B&Q! :-)  However, I did rather enjoy watching the comings and goings, particularly the engineers' trains.  Tacked on the back of a train of autoballasters and pre-formed point sections was this OCA, still turning a useful wheel.  I particularly liked the replacement 'Dutch' door on one side - wonder how long it has been like that?  Very modellable, I thought.  

post-10582-0-04040400-1484431373_thumb.jpg

post-10582-0-57666100-1484431386_thumb.jpg

I also enjoyed watching 66001 shuttling back and forth, moving its train around the virtual quarry, prepping for  the 'off'.

post-10582-0-54756600-1484431580_thumb.jpg

It's easy to forget just how big these locos are sometimes.  I was also intrigued by set of uniform overall (dirty) blue containers on freightliner flats seen heading south behind 66747 at about 1600.  Would they have been gypsum boxes, or perhaps binliners?  

There was also a COLAS 66 in the engineers yard to the north of the bridge, but unfortunately I was unable to identify it, though it had a longish nameplate ( - stupidly forgot to take both binos and long-lense camera).  Does anybody know which one it was, please?  Equally, the identity of the fairly disreputable looking 08 in faded Maroon and Yellow at the same location.  

All in all, a grand day out but I shall wait until summer before going again!

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Premium

Paul,

Great photos. Were they taken from the Bishopstoke Rd bridge? I have just googled streetview to see the scene.

Peter in Oz

Peter,

many thanks: think so.  It was the major road bridge immediately north of the station ( I am not an Eastleigh resident. Originally from Salisbury but currently  call Lincolnshire 'home'.) 

Best wishes, 

Paul

• RMweb Gold

As far as I am aware Bishopstoke Road bridge is only suitable for taking photographs to the south, ie the station side as there is only a footpath on that side of the road, and it's a busy road.

Good day Grampus, glad you had a pleasent couple of ours at one of my local 'spots'! Yes, the bridge is quite exposed and the wind on Friday in this part of the world was 'keen' to say the least!

There's actually 2 road overbridges at Eastleigh: The Bishopstoke Road bridge which,  as PhilH notes overlooks the northen end of the station and carries a busy road across the railway and the Campbell Road bridge which takes a quieter road to the works and what's left of the MPD! The latter allows views both towards the south end of the station and also towards Soton Parkway. It is much quieter traffic wise, however you need to have your wits about you if an artic turns up as it's narrow and has 2 right-angled bends requiring trucks to use all of the road (and occasionally more as the scrapes and bumps to he brickwork testify!).

I've taken some good shots here over the years although the MPD is very quiet now (it may even have closed?).

Cheers Andy

• RMweb Premium

Yes, gypsum boxes. 12.19 Mountfield - Southampton Western Docks running 5 mins early. A very regular runner down the line.

Thanks Peter.  Having seen them at the 'top end' of their trip, it never occurred to me to wonder where they went....doooh! 

Best wishes,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Good day Grampus, glad you had a pleasent couple of ours at one of my local 'spots'! Yes, the bridge is quite exposed and the wind on Friday in this part of the world was 'keen' to say the least!

There's actually 2 road overbridges at Eastleigh: The Bishopstoke Road bridge which,  as PhilH notes overlooks the northen end of the station and carries a busy road across the railway and the Campbell Road bridge which takes a quieter road to the works and what's left of the MPD! The latter allows views both towards the south end of the station and also towards Soton Parkway. It is much quieter traffic wise, however you need to have your wits about you if an artic turns up as it's narrow and has 2 right-angled bends requiring trucks to use all of the road (and occasionally more as the scrapes and bumps to he brickwork testify!).

I've taken some good shots here over the years although the MPD is very quiet now (it may even have closed?).

Cheers Andy

Hi Andy,

I did notice Campbell Road Bridge when doing a little 'Goggle-Fu' before my trip but the lack of a pavement put me off, I must admit.  I would imagine it was 'the place to be' in earlier years when the depot was busier.  I shall look forward to exploring on further visits, though hopefully next time I will remember my 'real' camera!  

All the best, 

Paul

Good day Paul, Yes, the bridge is rather narrow, however, due to the bends traffic passes over slowly and all vehicles are either going to Eastleigh Works (or the MPD) or local residents so take it slowly. It does get 'interesting' if a large vehicle crosses and anyone 'observing' has to move well clear (there is space to do this at the Works side of the bridge!).

Couple of snaps looking either way noting that you cannot really observe trains heading for Botley, Fareham etc. which come from the station as they branch off to the right passing north of the works as seen on the pic of 66541. Apologies for both being of Class 66's! Andy

post-3043-0-57141900-1484580624.jpg

post-3043-0-29418100-1484580628.jpg

Good day Paul, Yes, the bridge is rather narrow, however, due to the bends traffic passes over slowly and all vehicles are either going to Eastleigh Works (or the MPD) or local residents so take it slowly. It does get 'interesting' if a large vehicle crosses and anyone 'observing' has to move well clear (there is space to do this at the Works side of the bridge!).

Couple of snaps looking either way noting that you cannot really observe trains heading for Botley, Fareham etc. which come from the station as they branch off to the right passing north of the works as seen on the pic of 66541. Apologies for both being of Class 66's! Andy

Hi Andy,

Like you,I've taken stacks of pictures from this bridge over the years,not so much recently.The northbound view has been ruined by the extension to the Swan Centre.

For how long has the third running line been in place?

Cheers,

Neil

The new bit of line was supposedly installed primarily to accommodate longer northbound container trains stopping at Eastleigh for a crew change, without blocking the up fast.

They can sit with the loco unoccupied by the ticket office for several minutes at a time, and previously the tail end of the train could be seen trailing back across the points at the south end of the station approach effectively blocking both up lines through the station.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, some nice pictures ( - I rather like sheds; not quite so sure about '70s though - think I prefer GEs with an American 'comfort cab', which would play havoc with our loading gauge!   :no:) . I shall certainly bring my camera next time.  The view south looks remarkably rural in the circumstances.  Just need to hope younger daughter gets the right university 'offer' now to justify the occasional trip back down.

Best wishes, 

Paul 

Afternoon all, manged to get a 'pass out' for a couple of hours - sun is shining and Eastleigh topic prompted me to take a swing by  Campbell Road for an hour or so! Many thanks for comments  about 'new' loop - I took a bit more interest in this today although photos were straight into the sun! One bonus was a 'between the clutter' snap of the resident woks shunter - often seen, never before photted!

Paul; good luck with Uni. visits! We made plenty of trips to Exeter when our lad studied there! We now have to go to London to see him so I have tried to visit a couple of the capitals terminals when the 'Domestic Management' allows!! Whilst the traffic is less interesting, the actual stations are much cleaner and welcoming - at least for passengers!!

post-3043-0-15627900-1484666562.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all, manged to get a 'pass out' for a couple of hours - sun is shining and Eastleigh topic prompted me to take a swing by  Campbell Road for an hour or so! Many thanks for comments  about 'new' loop - I took a bit more interest in this today although photos were straight into the sun! One bonus was a 'between the clutter' snap of the resident woks shunter - often seen, never before photted!

Paul; good luck with Uni. visits! We made plenty of trips to Exeter when our lad studied there! We now have to go to London to see him so I have tried to visit a couple of the capitals terminals when the 'Domestic Management' allows!! Whilst the traffic is less interesting, the actual stations are much cleaner and welcoming - at least for passengers!!

Hi Andy,

loving the 07 photo - very nice indeed: funny how the loco still doesn't look dated or out of place, despite the Network Rail 'gondolas' ( - can't remember the TOPS code!)  in the background.  

The Uni thing is quite useful: it  got me to Leicester today, so whilst no 2 daughter was off doing clever stuff, I went spotting.  Got one of my last required 56s and managed a bonus phot of a 47 on the move as well (see the Class 47 photos thread).  She is off to Manchester tomorrow, but sadly the day job beckons.....

Best wishes,

Paul

Hello Paul, just had a look at the Class 47 thread - looks like there are still plenty of locos in that part of the world! Not sure how many are serviceable though?! As you note, apart from the occasional 47 'insurance policy' on steam charters it's a while since I've seen one on the 'Big Railway'.

Eastleigh used to be a good location for the Class with them used as 'staples' on Intermodals (I always knew them as 'Freightliners' back in the day!) and always a good few on shed. 

I'm lucky enough to choose when I go spotting now (apart from when I get given a worklist from SWMBO!) - retirement: "best job I've ever had"!

Andy

Archived