Southern Class 456

Darius43

• RMweb Gold

Very nice! So I'm assuming they are permanently coupled?

All four cars are connected using Kadee couplers.  For the connection between the units I drilled out and opened up the coupling "recess" in the cab fronts, through which the bogie-mounted Kadees protrude.

IMG_5017_zpsbwkyiyfj.jpg

IMG_5018_zpsezuv9ai5.jpg

Cheers

Darius

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nicely done, Darius. I am still to detail the ends on my NSE 456, but the end details on your units will provide me with further inspiration. I have been debating the best way to do those jumper 'hoods'.

My unit remains a 'dummy' unpowered unit, although, like you, I intend to fit lights. Power for mine comes from a Bratchell class 455/8 unit with a Replica Railways motorised chassis installed.

Bratchell%20NSE%20Classes%20455%20and%20

I do like the Bratchell kits; they make up very easily and quickly, and the basic shells are very robust, but they do require quite a bit of extra detailing to really bring the best out of them. The difficult livery bits are taken care of for the modeller, though. I know I baulk at the thought of painting NSE liveries!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

456?Looks more like a 321 to me!

Both the 456 and 321 units were built at BREL York and have a similar outward appearance. The 321 draws its juice from an overhead AC supply whilst the 456 gets its juice from a DC third rail.

Darius

• RMweb Premium

Both the 456 and 321 units were built at BREL York and have a similar outward appearance. The 321 draws its juice from an overhead AC supply whilst the 456 gets its juice from a DC third rail.

Darius

Am I correct in thinking that the 321 carried a different (fresher) version of NSE livery, mainly without the grey at the bottom, though I think the blue/red stripes were in a slightly different position too?

That's a nice model, I've always fancied a Bratchell kit but their website seems a bit basic and lacking in detail and updates, some of the liveries seem to be missing.  Then again, I'd have to fit catenary...

• RMweb Gold

Am I correct in thinking that the 321 carried a different (fresher) version of NSE livery, mainly without the grey at the bottom, though I think the blue/red stripes were in a slightly different position too?

That's a nice model, I've always fancied a Bratchell kit but their website seems a bit basic and lacking in detail and updates, some of the liveries seem to be missing.  Then again, I'd have to fit catenary...

Looking at Google Images, I think you are correct.  The 321 NSE livery seems to have had the overall body light grey colour below the NSE cheat lines, whilst the NSE class 456's had a darker grey below the NSE cheat lines and wrapping around the cab front.

Cheers

Darius

• RMweb Gold

Very nicely done, Darius. I am still to detail the ends on my NSE 456, but the end details on your units will provide me with further inspiration. I have been debating the best way to do those jumper 'hoods'.

My unit remains a 'dummy' unpowered unit, although, like you, I intend to fit lights. Power for mine comes from a Bratchell class 455/8 unit with a Replica Railways motorised chassis installed.

Bratchell%20NSE%20Classes%20455%20and%20

I do like the Bratchell kits; they make up very easily and quickly, and the basic shells are very robust, but they do require quite a bit of extra detailing to really bring the best out of them. The difficult livery bits are taken care of for the modeller, though. I know I baulk at the thought of painting NSE liveries!

Does the Replica chassis manage 6 coaches OK? Gradients?

Does the Replica chassis manage 6 coaches OK? Gradients?

The Replica chassis has heaps of power. It has no difficulty whatsoever with the five coaches plus itself (4-car class 455 plus 2-car 456). I haven't tried it on any gradients but I really don't think it would have any problems. 

I also don't think it would have any problem with a second 4-car unit (i.e. seven coaches plus itself) - I'll have to try it with a couple of coaches from my Bratchell class 319 unit (which also has one of the Replica chassis powering it). The Replica chassis has a reasonable amount of weight and two motors driving one bogie each, so boasts 8-wheel drive and electrical pickup.

The only fly in the ointment at the moment is that the 64' chassis are unavailable (the 57' ones are in stock). I have asked Replica to advise me when the 64' chassis become available again, with a view to purchasing and powering another Bratchell unit.

I did post a short video of the units running, although it's not of particularly good quality.

With apologies to Darius for hijacking his thread. :)

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With apologies to Darius for hijacking his thread. :)

No apology necessary - its great to see models of EMUs :)

I have a Replica 64' motorised chassis powering an MTK Class 304 EMU that I built last year.  It seems to struggle at times but the MTK units are heavier than the Bratchell Models units.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of some pics?  As you say, its great to see EMUs - modern ones especially - being modelled.  Even if I do say that as a DMU-modelling northerner!  Incidentally, is it just me that thinks the 456 looks odd, a 2-car NSE EMU just seems weird when most of them are 4-car units, it seems too small, like a train set version with the middle coaches missing!

• RMweb Gold

I'll see what I can do. The Class 304 is in a friend's shed on his model railway - he has the shed and I have the rolling stock. I will take some pics when I am next there.

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any chance of some pics?  As you say, its great to see EMUs - modern ones especially - being modelled.  Even if I do say that as a DMU-modelling northerner!  Incidentally, is it just me that thinks the 456 looks odd, a 2-car NSE EMU just seems weird when most of them are 4-car units, it seems too small, like a train set version with the middle coaches missing!

ISTR NSE struggled to obtain authority for the 456s, so it may be that the Board's Investment Adviser - never a fan of NSE's maverick investment policies, which were closely scrutinised, possibly more so than those of the other passenger sectors - agreed with you! That said, the 466s were constructed with fewer impediments, I think. But then they were for the South Eastern, much of which was already a 10-car railway, while the 456s were for the South Central, which was 8-car.

That's interesting about the investment case. I have a vague memory of articles in Modern Railways indicating that the 456s were originally intended for the SWD, and some suitably pithy subsequent opinions from the (then) Sage of Effingham when they were diverted to the Central, leaving the 'long suffering' SWD commuters with no access to any toilets on their 455-only trains (not that they could have accessed the single 456 toilet from the 455s except during station stops). And then to add insult to injury, the toilets on the 456s were locked out of use on the Central anyway.

David

• 2 years later...

Please could I ask.

Which Replica motorised chassis would be best to use for the Bratchell Models Class 456 ? 

The 67' or 57' ? 

If I do get one of the chassis and the kits, does the kit fit easily to the chassis or is there additional (aka fiddly hard) work needed ?

Anyone know of any video or guides that anyone had produced showing the making of one of these kits ?  

55 minutes ago, Lensmeister said:

Please could I ask.

Which Replica motorised chassis would be best to use for the Bratchell Models Class 456 ? 

The 67' or 57' ? 

If I do get one of the chassis and the kits, does the kit fit easily to the chassis or is there additional (aka fiddly hard) work needed ?

Anyone know of any video or guides that anyone had produced showing the making of one of these kits ?  

64', with 12mm wheels.