Stove R Van Livery

JeremyC

In BR maroon livery would a stove 'R' van be lined out?

My understanding is that they should have been lined out after the change to maroon from 1956.  As time went on fewer and fewer were lined at subsequent repaints.  I went through the Janes/Ian Allan albums looking for examples around 1960/1 (my chosen modelling period)  and most seemed to be unlined by then.  They were very long lived vehicles and several were still in capital stock in the mid 70's but were in unlined blue (and usually sans corridor connections) by this time.

Ray.post-23517-0-61557000-1485543695_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

The Bluebell  have/had one in Pullman livery to run with their Pullman dining train and I think Strathspey once had one in a non-standard livery.  AFAIK none were ever painted Southern region green.  It's a pity that so many have been scrapped in preservation to supply 6wh. underframes for grounded coach bodies but I suppose there is little revenue earning potential for a BGZ. Still, they are about my favourite piece of NPCS.

Ray.

• 2 years later...
10 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Resurrecting this with a similar question: I've seen a few models painted in "bllod and custard2 livery?

Is that an imaginary one, or real?

If there were any then it would be preservation only. They were banned from express trains.

They were crimson in BR days and later maroon. Then blue.

Just remembered the one at Betwys Y Coed is Blood & Custard. but not authentic.

http://www.conwyrailwaymuseum.co.uk/rolling-stock.html

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Informative/Useful 1