A basic question about making a retaining wall ...

spikey

Well, I seem to be stuck before I've even started my very first bit of scratchbuilding ....

Across one corner of my layout, I need a road to be carried over the track at an angle of about 45°, and for this I need a length of retaining wall thus ...

Scan1.jpg

All I've managed to establish so far is that because I need a lot more practice with DAS before I could use it for this, it's going to be Slaters Stone Courses Medium on either a ply or a Plastikard backing this time. 

That top wall needs to be thick enough to be convincing as a parapet/wall, which I guess means something like 6mm where circled above (this is 00, btw).  But if that thickness is made up of embossed Plastikard on the outer face, then its backing material, then a strip of more backing material to make up the thickness, then embossed Plastikard on the inner side facing the road, what on earth do I do about finishing off the top of it? 

Sorry if the answer's obvious, but right now it isn't to me :scratchhead:

Some of the best walls I saw were made by the late Dave Shakespeare. The top surfaces were made from either a softwood or balsa strip suitably shaped and scribed. Hope these pics give you some ideas....

post-6950-0-17886600-1485536038_thumb.jpg

post-6950-0-46123200-1485536201_thumb.jpg

I tried to follow his lead and tried something similar on ET.

post-6950-0-22379700-1485536229_thumb.jpg

I intend to use these from LCUT to form a retaining wall on my layout, but like you, I think I will need to add a coping stone to the top.  I'll probably adopt one of the ideas here.  I was thinking about either strip timber or potentially plaster - I'm sure that I have some Linka moulds that made coping stones, but I've not used them for years.

Whilst we're on the subject of retaining walls, I was watching this video re a Ferrari 599 and came across this scene with a wonderful piece of walling.  I have often used Slaters 7mm Dressed Stone on 4mm walling and had this nagging doubt that it was over scale, yet the 4mm product appeared to be a bit lightweight.

This is the nearest I have seen to the 7mm stone on 4mm layouts, so feel much happier now.  The car is pretty special too.....

post-6950-0-83821900-1485591478_thumb.jpg

Archived