GE depot at manningtree

Did anyone catch the item on turnip tv the other night about a new servicing depot to be built north of manningtree on the old ici site to service the emu's that will replace the class 90/mk3 sets. Quite thought provoking as to future GE service patterns.

I didn't but it's been mentioned elsewhere. Dad and I were trying to work out exactly where it is meant to be, north bank (Suffolk side) of the Stour? East or west of the mainline?

Given the topography and the Cattawade bridge I'm still having trouble envisaging quite what is proposed!

C6T.

• RMweb Premium

Just like putting your comms systems in the celler in a flood risk area.

Build first and discover later.....

Andy G

(the railway wouldn't do that, would they ;-) )

Here's the lie of the land. Handily, Google Maps' 'plane was waiting for a hauled set to pass allowing you to scale what would be the approximate length of building required to house a train.

I still have trouble seeing the viability myself, for various reasons.

And what's to become of Crown Point whilst we're about it?

Anyone got links to the proposed depot development plans?

post-8937-0-65608100-1487265196_thumb.png

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

That doesn't look like a user friendly depot. And it's going to employ 30 people, wow! I'd have thought most branches of McDonald's employ more than that!

I fail to see how a depot other than a set of carriage sidings could operate with this level of staff

I'm not familiar with maintenance of modern multiple units, but 30 seems low. It does say "stabling and light maintenance", but for that many trains you'd probably need 30 cleaners...

Doesn't say if it's for the Stadler or Bombardier trains, or both.

Another aspect to this is train crew access, XC Trains incurs quite a sizeable taxi bill getting drivers to Central Rivers from New st/Derby depots. As for staff levels Longsight(for example) has far fewer staff for routine stuff than in BR days, cleaners will be an out scourced contract for a start. Anecdotally my guesstimate for a nightshift at Longsight is around 30. Day time the depot is full of suit and tie staff! Alstom employ staff who multi task, rotating around fuel/service checks(4 Voyagers SX), on depot driving of all traction regularly booked on, prep of Voyagers for morning services, all done with about 30 odd staff.

• RMweb Gold

I'm just dreading all this rubbish turning up on the GE they are literally one up from a tram NOT an Inter-city train by any means. There will be absolutely no interesting trains running on former GE lines at all

I did read (I think in a Stadler release) that they were planning on retaining Crown Point as their main maintenance location (makes sense as they are providing the 90 + mk3 replacements and the bi-modes for the branches out of Norwich.)

Probably wrong, but I'd guess this is stabling/over night cleaning for some of the Bombardier emus. I'll check with my contact.

• 2 weeks later...

The depot strategy seems to involve a lesser amount of Ilford (some redevelopment is going on here), enhanced facilities at Crown Point, and the new Cattawade marshes facility, which looks like a headache of industrial proportions when it comes to ground remediation!  :O

Archived