Matching Hornby Malachite Green?

• RMweb Gold

Having acquired a Hornby West Country class, (the Ltd Edition Bude which is going for GBP49.99 from a couple of reputable box shifters!) I have built a replacement tender - a Crownline Bulleid 4500 gallon cut down version.

I am close to starting to paint the tender, but I want to try to match the green to the loco. I have Railwatch Malachite but it looks dark compared to the Hornby treatment?

I was wondering if any RMWebbers have any experience of trying to match the Humbrol, Phoenix or any other version of Malachite green to the original factory finish from Hornby?

Also - any suggestions for the yellow lining would be appreciated - I am thinking HMRS, Modelmaster or Fox would be the best bet as I am not sure my skills with a bow pen would be up to lining the tender!

Many thanks,

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Steve

I am afraid that, as some one who has modified and repainted a number of Hornby Light Pacifics, I have been unable to find a match for the malachite that they use on their locomotives. Even their own acrylic paint RC 409 Malachite is actually a match for the colour used on the BR(s) Maunsell Coaches rather than the malachite locomitives.

I currently repaint using Railmatch Malachite, which requires a coat of Satin Varnish to in my opinion lighten the colour slightly to something that I am happy with.

With respect to the lining the HMRS presfix Bulleid lining sheet is the easiest to use, although I would add that the colour is slightly different to the Hornby lining and also a thinner width which is another reason why I tend to repaint the whole locomotive after I have made modifications.

I hope this helps.

post-243-126916177102_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

Many thanks for your reply - that is what I had feared!

I am thinking I might paint the tender and then decide if I need to paint the engine!

I have a friend in the car spraying business so I might seek his opinion on colour matching.

I'll let the forum know how I get on!

Thanks again,

Steve

• 2 years later...

As far as i'm aware the only match for Hornby malachite was made by GLOY, maybe 30 years ago .My "records" show that an article by Chris Ellis in the SEPTEMBER 1981 edition of MODEL TRAINS re Detailing a Spam Can states that GLOY SR Malachite Green is an exact match to the Hornby paint.

• RMweb Gold

There are a couple of potential pitfalls here, firstly Gloy is no longer available and secondly while it may have been a match for the old Margate built Bulleid Pacific's in 1981 the latest China built version is a slightly different shade again.

Archived