'Catherine's Wharf'

georgeT

l have decided to build a small layout after all,  l really love building locos and stock and thought it would give me something different to work on as l will retire in a few months and will have the time to build it. l have always loved the dock industrial scene and that's where 'Catherine's Wharf' is coming from with plenty of warehouse's etc etc, l haven't come up with a track plan as yet but l will be using Peco track as l have just got a bargain from a good friend of mine, and as l have quite a bit of flexi track it was a no brainer....the base boards are all made now so here we go again....

post-7716-0-05229900-1487356857_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-59126900-1487356864_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-88336600-1487356872_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-70174300-1487356880_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-91288400-1487356887_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-65186000-1487356895_thumb.jpg

That looks good mate, I've started my new thread this evening as well, North Kingsford, in the Layouts section.

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of Track Plan you come up with for the Quay.

What size is it and where will you cut it away for the Quayside / Harbour Wall?

Good question Guys, l am thinking somewhere around the London docks area from 1940 -1960 with loads of warehouse activity an plenty of different stock, but nothing is set yet so things could change, still looking for inspiration and a track plan...all in my head at the moment ?

Ooh, lovely. East Lunnun. Lots of interest there.

Might be worth having a dig in Western Thunder. There's a chap doing something in S7

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/bow-creek-wharf-33-challenge.2202/

And of course, Dock Green, Chaz' outstanding model of a goods depot. That's on RMWeb.

Bet there's loads more out there

Good luck with the project!

Simon

Good question Guys, l am thinking somewhere around the London docks area from 1940 -1960 with loads of warehouse activity an plenty of different stock, but nothing is set yet so things could change, still looking for inspiration and a track plan...all in my head at the moment ?

So all set in Cobbles then George?

• RMweb Gold

Might be worth having a dig in Western Thunder. There's a chap doing something in S7

http://westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/bow-creek-wharf-33-challenge.2202/

Simon

The link takes you off in to lots of areas including the lack of drawings for lighters. That may have been resolved as I haven't ploughed through the whole thread/blog. There are however plenty of lighters still around including a large group just east of Tower Bridge, including houseboat conversions, a bike park and this garden! If you wanted a trip to London with a tape measure .... - a costly exercise from Cheshire I appreciate, 

post-14351-0-81108600-1487439767_thumb.jpg

The Loads look good George.

Re the Harbour, I did an add on with Porth Merryn, (see next Month's / April edition of Railway Modeller for full article).

post-9335-0-12206000-1487440898_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-13403500-1487441008_thumb.jpg

Click on image for a better view.

Looking forward to seeing how this one comes out mate.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that little gem, Phil.

Cheers

Simon

Glad you liked it, Simon. I haven't a clue what the sound track said, as I detached my speakers from my p.c. to use at a family Christmas party and haven't got round to fitting the cables back through their trunking.

I find I spend far too much time following leads from people's queries and not enough time modelling. This one has been useful as I am modelling a quayside, albeit on the other side of the country and thirty miles from the nearest big city! Things like loading techniques and mooring are useful to know.

Although mine is in 4mm scale and the prototype could be regarded as an insignificant back water, I worked out that if I did the whole wharf area it would be over 10metres by 1metre - without the watery bit. So even a portion of London docks in 7mm will be a challenge in the space George is using, but get the atmosphere right and it could be good. I look forward to seeing it's development.

Regards

Phil

Well l have done some homework and perhaps a slice of London docks was a bit over the top, (wishful thinking) l just don't have the room you would need about 60' a least, so having a major re-think still going for a wharf though.. 

• 1 month later...

Well l have made another re-start on 'CW' and have ditched the silly idea of trying to build anything like London docks in such a small space, this time its a small part of a wharf side off the Thames somewhere where a little shunting would take place around the warehouses goods would come in via rail or small boats, so l have started to cut the wharf into one of the baseboards... 

post-7716-0-91102100-1491739980_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-06991700-1491740021_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-65863300-1491740061_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-86795300-1491740100_thumb.jpg

Hi George, looking forward to seeing how this develops. How far away is a track plan do you think? My thread Midland in London was intended to be (funnily enough from the title) in London somewhere around Poplar but it may end up in Birmingham on the canals around there. Long story! Will watch with interest.

Richard

Hello Richard, l will try and place some track down soon as l have just bought a load of Peco track from Bodgit (Andrew P), it will be a lot quicker than building my track as originally planned, (life's too short) l don't think there will be lots of track more cobble stones and warehouses, we'll see ?...

Archived