Early AC electric sound?

philiprporter

I hope this question hasn't been answered before (I cant find it anywhere, but I apologise if it has been addressed) - what is the almost musical whining sound that early AC electrics (class 81-87) make when on the move arriving or departing from stations and other stops?

The 'note' is constant, so its not the traction motors, as that presumably would rise/fall in tone during acceleration deceleration? I find it an amazingly nostalgic noise as it reminds me of walking down the ramps at Euston when I was a kid, to go and see my cousins in Birmingham.

The noise can be heard on this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlUdHXZewo) at 4:29 and again at 5:36 (and at various other places when AC electrics are arriving and departing). Is it traction motor blowers? I would say it may be, but presumably modern AC electrics also have blowers, but they don't have that nostalgic (to me ears!) musical note?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

It might be the cooling fans for the various types of mercury-arc / early silicon & germanium diode rectifiers originally fitted ??

The clack-cluck-clack-clunk-clacketty-clunketty-clacketty-clunketty of a DB Class 141 tap-changer going through the motions is hard to beat too ...............

• RMweb Gold

It might be the cooling fans for the various types of mercury-arc / early silicon & germanium diode rectifiers originally fitted ??

The clack-cluck-clack-clunk-clacketty-clunketty-clacketty-clunketty of a DB Class 141 tap-changer going through the motions is hard to beat too ...............

Not to mention hard to say quickly...

The sound of the blowers, activated when the reverser is switched into forward or reverse. Hummed in the note of D, while classes AL1 through AL5 hummed in the note B.

Is that concert pitch  A=440 at 20 degrees C?      Only joking but as a Brass player I always think in Eb or Bb never concert pitch.

The sound of the blowers, activated when the reverser is switched into forward or reverse. Hummed in the note of D, while classes AL1 through AL5 hummed in the note B.

Thanks for this but apologies for my ignorance here - what do you mean by blowers? Are these fans that cool traction motors or some other part of the loco?

Best wishes, Phil

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for this but apologies for my ignorance here - what do you mean by blowers? Are these fans that cool traction motors or some other part of the loco?

Best wishes, Phil

Traction motor blowers don't make that much noise, so that is cooling for the control gear upstairs. Similarly the class 50s were called Hoovers due to the fans originally fitted that cooled the rheostatic braking system, far noisier than the traction motor blowers.

Dave

Traction motor blowers don't make that much noise, so that is cooling for the control gear upstairs. Similarly the class 50s were called Hoovers due to the fans originally fitted that cooled the rheostatic braking system, far noisier than the traction motor blowers.

Dave

The noise on most AC locos is the blower motors, these not only cool the traction motors but they also do the smoothing chokes for the motors. You also have a radiator fan that cools the transformer oil.

Archived