GWR Branch - Castle Down. Mostly GWR with an odd SR working

sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

I've been on holiday for a couple of weeks, but that gives you a little time and space to think about the layout and where it's going. I'd been using an old laptop to drive JMRI, this was ideal as I started out, but had a few issues. It was old and therefore took an AGE to start-up, also it took over some of my workbench, which considering I lost a bit due to the fiddle yard was less than ideal. I've now swapped everything over to using a Rasberrry Pi in headlesss mode. This starts up in about 2mins or less, automatically launching JMRI and all the bits. I then have access to it over either SSH of VNC, should I need to. I've found a little SSH app to shut it down from my phone, so it's easy to turn off too.

The upgrade all lead me to have a tidy and quickly knock up a shelf for the tablet, uncoupler, track cleaner and a cup of tea. It's needs tiding up and painting, but as you can see the layout is now clear of rubbish as I've made loads of space!

post-19113-0-37459000-1517040304_thumb.jpg

I also created myself a small conundrum.. I've acquired a very creamery that is ideal for the layout. The person who built it has even included tanks inside the main building, as you can see here.

post-19113-0-64297500-1517040307_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-45554600-1517040305_thumb.jpg

The full building..

post-19113-0-06565600-1517040306_thumb.jpg

It makes me think that it needs to go with the main door facing 'out' and the canopy towards the back of the layout. The other way around from what I had planned. This means I think I'm going to use the other siding for the creamery, chop down the other one shown here under the building and probably also drop the cattle dock.

post-19113-0-99871100-1517040306_thumb.jpg

I didn't want to loose the cattle dock, but I need a siding of a fair length to enable shutting and it's all getting crowded. With maybe a loading crane on that new shorter siding I think it gives some better stock options.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mark.. The main scenic section is 2200x710 while the fiddle yard is 1300x30. 

The station building is a scale scenes download.. The Medium station, that I've been building very, very, very slowly! I should really get on and finish it!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Charlie.. Thanks, I was quite pleased with how the track came out.. I'll get around to adding to ballast one day!

With my new found space on my workbench I completed a couple of little jobs that just pile up. The Mink needed some couplings and the brakes replaced while the open wagon now has a load of barrels on-route to the brewery. They need a bit of paint, but gave me a chance to run a very corporate GWR local freight!

post-19113-0-97367900-1517040409_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 5

Nice looking Toad. I probably have about 4 (not wishing to boast!), with a fifth due to be pre-ordered from the Hornby 2017 range. If I ever made a lot of success financially I'd love to take a brake van and convert it into a moving real ale bar!

• RMweb Gold

I'd go to a Toad bar.. Sounds like a good plan to me!

I completed the toilet block last night, but surprising for scalescenes I was overly happy on how it went together. Each of the external walls had their own wrap, which left huge lines between the joins. Simple fix, make your own wrap to go all around the outside. 

post-19113-0-29432600-1517040486_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-04005200-1517040487_thumb.jpg

Now I can get the station building completed and the fence all sorted out!

Edited by sjrixon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy..

Yes, the creamery has a working solution, but means cutting some track! Also the track feeds will need moving. I've parked that for the moment as I want to get the station area a little more complete, the creamery will start to get in the way. I'm building a couple of shops to see how it will all fit together.

• RMweb Gold

This morning, after a short chat with the station master I was able to get down onto the track and also into the yard with my SLR. It was handy as there was a Mogul about to depart with Siphon and a couple of coaches. 

post-19113-0-48676000-1517040612_thumb.jpg

A front view as she is ready to depart.

post-19113-0-03779300-1517040613_thumb.jpg

Over from the yard.. Just made this one as I heard them blow the whistle.

post-19113-0-51861100-1517040613_thumb.jpg

She then slowly pulled out of Castle Down past the signal box.

Missing picture?!?

Good SLR, big aperture and a tripod makes all the difference from my normal quick clicks of a camera phone.

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes all.. I thought I'd do something a little different!

Anyone have any idea if pub Gardens were a think in the mid 30s? I've built a nice pub and thinking of a small garden next to it. 

Thanks for the likes all.. I thought I'd do something a little different!

Anyone have any idea if pub Gardens were a think in the mid 30s? I've built a nice pub and thinking of a small garden next to it.

Well a country pub probably would, but pubs in towns and cities probably didn't, and if they were they were probably private and for the use of the landlord.

• RMweb Gold

The area to the rear of the station is starting to come together. I've built one low relief shop and the ground has been built up using wall insulation sheets (Had loads left over). This is actually really easy to do, rip of the foil top layer and then just cut up with a big knife. I used an old plasterboard one.

post-19113-0-05833300-1517043761_thumb.jpg

I've now filled the gaps with crumpled up news paper and then covered with Woodland scenics plaster bandage. I find this stuff so easy to work with, just cut off some small lengths, dip into a tray of water and away you go!

post-19113-0-52147100-1517043761_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress has been slow... But, to try and drag on the coat tails of a couple of other GWR threads, I thought I'd have a change of coaches.. The Prairie hadn't seen much action either. 

post-19113-0-69948200-1517043833_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-14743500-1517043835_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-03252500-1517043836_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-97977100-1517043836_thumb.jpg

Edited by sjrixon
  • Like 6

Ah, clerestories. We don't have them at the SVR (at least not any operational ones) but as far as GW rolling stock is concerned we do have Toplights (see below), Collett bow-ended stock and handful of Hawksworths.

N. B. The first coach, the 'Obbo', isn't a toplight! 

30143533373_dc0dc4769a_b.jpg

• Like 4

Absolutely fantastic layout, really enjoying watching it taking shape!

I'm working on my own little GWR based layout at the moment, so definitely providing me with some inspiration!

Do you mind me asking you what paint you used to paint the baseboard with?

Many thanks, Lorry

• RMweb Gold

It was a cheap burnt sienna from the range. Nothing special, just an easy quick sealing coat and ground cover.

Check out little muddle, Hintock and there is a nice one on youtube called Brockwell Lane for more inspiration.

It was a cheap burnt sienna from the range. Nothing special, just an easy quick sealing coat and ground cover.

Check out little muddle, Hintock and there is a nice one on youtube called Brockwell Lane for more inspiration.

Fantastic, thank you - I'll be sure to check those out!

I know it sounds silly, but obtaining brown paint has been the biggest challenge so far!

Yes, I think that had started to catch on by the 1930s although the tables and chairs were separate, not like today's picnic tables.

Here is a photo of the pub garden of the Surrey Arms in St Helier in the 1930s.

B_Group_Pub_Garden.jpg

• Like 4

I don't know if this is the same as what Scott means, but Dulux do some little pots and the lid doubles up as a paintbrush as a small brush is attached to the inside. I first came across them a few years ago for a raft that I helped decorate for a race. 

Edited by SVRlad