BR class 6 "Clan" class 4-6-2 loco

I have the Volume 8 March 1957 issue of the Railway Modeller magazine, in which there's a 4 mm scale drawing of the BR class 6 Clan loco, but can anyone tell me if there are similar drawings available in other magazines please ? 

Thank you.

I have the Volume 8 March 1957 issue of the Railway Modeller magazine, in which there's a 4 mm scale drawing of the BR class 6 Clan loco, but can anyone tell me if there are similar drawings available in other magazines please ? 

Thank you.

There are very good dimensioned front and side elevation drawings in 'A Pictorial Record of British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives' by E Talbot. I can scan and sent if it helps.

There are very good dimensioned front and side elevation drawings in 'A Pictorial Record of British Railways Standard Steam Locomotives' by E Talbot. I can scan and sent if it helps.

Thank you for this information. I will try and get a copy of this book, which sounds very useful.

I remember that I once saw a list of all the loco drawings which had appeared in all the railway and model railway magazines over the years.

Unfortunately I can't recall the details, but it is on the 'net and I've an idea that it was compiled by an Australian guy.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you for this information. I will try and get a copy of this book, which sounds very useful.

I remember that I once saw a list of all the loco drawings which had appeared in all the railway and model railway magazines over the years.

Unfortunately I can't recall the details, but it is on the 'net and I've an idea that it was compiled by an Australian guy.

This isn't the site, nor does it have anything on Clan's (not that I've found anyway), but does have a LOT of info.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/mickssrsource/IndexMagDate.html

Home page isn't working, but the links to various magazines does.

• RMweb Premium

My listing shows drawings in Railway Modeller for Nov 2002 and BRM for Aug 2009. Also illustrated articles in Hornby Mag for Dec 2009 and Model Rail March 2005.

I knew I'd seem it more recently than a 1957 magazine. The Model Rail one would be a Masterclass one. I'm missing that issue, so cannot say.

BR6 BR STD Locos To Scale ISBN 0 85153 390 6.pdfBR6 British Rlys Std Steam Locos ISBN 0 86093 158-7.pdfBR6 Locomotives in Detail 5 ISBN (10)0 7110 3177 0.pdf

Hi,

There's drawings of the BR6 in three books that I'm aware of, I've appended scans below. Unfortunately, there wasn't a GA produced by BR for the 6. If you're interested in the chassis and tender, there's an excellent series of GA of the BR 7 which is available from NRM as a copy from the microfiche or a tracing size Dazo print. The chassis is almost identical to the 6, (obviously the cylinders are different),but I seem to remember that there other are curious very minor changes, can't remember details now, but I think it was things like crank pin sizes. BR Drawing SL/DE/2107, "Diagrams & Data for 4-6-2 Locomotive BR Standard Class 6, Gives a fairly detailed end elevation and an outline side elevation. (The drawing shows weights,  etc.).

Alternatively, you could try the Hengist project, they may have produced a GA as I understand they've done a lot of CAD work for the 6.

Good Luck,

Eric.

PS I'd advise you to ask the library guys at York, they are fantastically helpful. Even better, visit and speak to them in person. Last time I was there, it wasn't possible to get Dazo prints as the tracings were in storage which they couldn't access, but they said that was temporary and prints from the microfiche are always available.

Archived