The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Orange Email services ending

antrobuscp

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Not had any issues so far. I've been using it since 10th March.

Cheers

Paul

It is one of the better ones. Are you using web mail or the phone app/both?

You can have a shared diary (used by families to avoid clashes).

I use a iMac, MacBook Air and iPhone so did some research and have Airmail 3 on my Mac's and phone. Seems to work fine with Gmail and also my Outlook Mail account. It's a paid for App but seems to come recommended.  

• RMweb Premium

There is an app in the itunes store, free. Get a bong when an email arrives.

Hi

No point in my case as I don't have the iPad with me all the time (I don't have a mobile phone). Its just as easy to sign in to the web mail and check there.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium

Hi

No point in my case as I don't have the iPad with me all the time (I don't have a mobile phone). Its just as easy to sign in to the web mail and check there.

Cheers

Paul

OK might help someone else, comes pre installed on Android devices, just needs setting up.

• RMweb Premium

Here's a link to what's happening and how to import emails and other relavent stuff.If you haven't been notified by mail yet.

https://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_NA_Orange_email_closure_webmaillink-2017-03-16#gmail

I notice there's now a banner, when you logon to email, telling you that the serve is closing. I suspect they didn't realise how many customers they had and individual emails were taking too long.

HTH

Rob

• 1 month later...

Only 9 days left to get a new email address, as the plug is pulled on the 31st.

I expect most, if not all, have changed over.

Yes I changed about 4 weeks ago. It's been fun trying to remember what official, utility and forums to change. I got very few to my Freeserve address now except for junk. At least when it gets turned off the junk will go with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Absent mindedly logged in as a matter of routine this morning and found the fsmail.net email address is still there and has received 2 messages with todays date, both from sources which have been told Orange are closing this service yesterday(31 May).

Has someone at Orange forgotten to pull a plug?

Edit for date clarity

Edited by Brit70053

May just be a time zone thing, it's still the 31st May in some parts of the world and they may only shut it down when everyone is up to date. Although they are closing down I wonder if this is only for new postings and one will still be able to access the old stuff, at least for a short while.

Brian

I received an email on the account at 6 am today, but the one I just sent from another account has failed, so I suspect they had to wait for the IT man to get up and stroll in around 9.30 to switch the server off. There doesn't seem to be any confirmation back that the delivery failed, so I suspect there's a big electronic bin filling up with emails somewhere.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Morning,

I couldn't receive anything from about midday yesterday. It may be thay are phasing different suffixes out gradually.

Mines a Freeserve account. There are several other legacy suffixes, fsmail, etc..

Rob

I couldn't receive anything from about midday yesterday. It may be thay are phasing different suffixes out gradually.

Mines a Freeserve account. There are several other legacy suffixes, fsmail, etc..

My Freeserve email worked last night as I sent a email to my Gmail account just to test it! Not working this morning though, end of a era...

• RMweb Premium

My Freeserve email worked last night as I sent a email to my Gmail account just to test it! Not working this morning though, end of a era...

Yes, got my Freeserve account when I bought my 1st PC way back when.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Morning,

Rob

Hi

My freeserve account was still working at 8am this morning but work block personal email so I can't check if its still available now.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

It appears to have gone the journey now, just an elaborate screen advertising EE products and services from the usual search key.

I'd deleted everything bar the final message from Orange reminding me they were closing it.

All a very long time ago, but I think when Freeserve came along I opened a few accounts, with the intention of leaving Compuserve for which we had to pay. I realised back then the problems related to switching email addresses and bought a few suitable domain names which gradually became the ones carrying all our business and private email. This has made the recent Freeserve closure relatively painless through re-direction of the email away from the Freeserve servers. I stopped using the Freeserve servers over a month ago but checked the accounts regularly finding hardly a handful of people to notify.

Sad to see the service end, it was good while it lasted, but I had anticipated it would happen particularly with the BT takeover, and following on from the loss of the webspace.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

What surprised me was the number of different ways companies/organisations had for changing your email details. Some were very straightforward, others you had to jump through hoops and obstacles to get it done. One company would not do it online, you had to ring them to change email details.

My energy suppliers web site took my new details OK, but my advice of billing and to send a reading was still going to my old address. Another phone call. It seems personal account data and marketing are separated for data protection.

Hopefully my spam levels will drop dramatically as the old email was prone to it. Started after I ordered something from a small cOmpany in the States, many years ago.

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else still been getting emails? - I took my account off my Samsung tablet as it was mucking things up by trying to update, but my wife has just noticed 4 unread emails on her Ipad, one dated 9th June and one dated today, all on the old Wanadoo address. - Strange.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone else still been getting emails? - I took my account off my Samsung tablet as it was mucking things up by trying to update, but my wife has just noticed 4 unread emails on her Ipad, one dated 9th June and one dated today, all on the old Wanadoo address. - Strange.

Peter

No, I left my account for about 10 days then removed it from the PC email client. On the web I couldn't log in anyway after the 31st May.

It may be a phased shutdown with Wanadoo last to go?

Rob

No, I left my account for about 10 days then removed it from the PC email client. On the web I couldn't log in anyway after the 31st May.

It may be a phased shutdown with Wanadoo last to go?

Rob

It's wierder than that, my Wanadoo service stopped early morning of 1st June, and after a couple of days attempting to send an e-mail from my Wanadoo account to the Ipad it confirmed it was unable to deliver, which indicated to me that the service had stopped. It was just a random hunt to discover where the 4 unread emails were that has discovered these 4, two of which are marketing mass sending which nevertheless seem to have been delivered yesterday and today.

P.S. another 5 have just turned up, from Etsy, Apple store, White Stuff etc. all dated 10th and still to the Wanadoo email address, it's freaking us out!

Peter