The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Orange Email services ending

antrobuscp

Just a "heads up" for anyone using Freeserve/Orange and related email services.

I received an email today stating that the above services will be ending on 31st May 2017.

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomremail_toplink-2017-01-11

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Just a "heads up" for anyone using Freeserve/Orange and related email services.

I received an email today stating that the above services will be ending on 31st May 2017.

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomremail_toplink-2017-01-11

Colin

Thanks for this. I've not yet seen the email from Orange/Freeserve.

No point in staying with their Broadband/telephone service now then. I wonder how many customers they'll lose over this?

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for this. I've not yet seen the email from Orange/Freeserve.

No point in staying with their Broadband/telephone service now then. I wonder how many customers they'll lose over this?

Rob

Hi

Yep definitely thinking of leaving them as the email was the reason I stayed plus they have just put mine up again.

Cheers

Paul

I must admit, I've now no reason for staying with the EE brand. I expected problems after BT took over. Originally, I stayed with EE for the webspace and email as the way it was set up was very convenient for me. It will be a bit of a hassle reorganising the email as although I only seriously use two or three domain names and their respective email addresses, I need to cover a number of others, and the catchall setup with my new web hosting is playing up at the moment. I can see my email setup becoming rather complex. Still, I may be able to save a little money by rolling my broadband up with something else.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

I've just spent most of today changing my address for over 100 websites that have my old email address. It's amazing how quickly they mount up. Apart from the main ones for utilties, insurance,  and licences, there's all the forums and model shop accounts to do. :no:

Now I've only got to tell all my email contacts too. :O

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

I'm another one caught by this , and I'm busy updating sites  and things. Fortunately I already have three webmail accounts, so I can impose a certain amount of discipline and pre-sorting by allocating certain types of email to a specific email account - although I still regard webmail as a cheap and nasty alternative to a proper email a/c. Those webmail accounts were largely being used as "spam-traps" for when email addresses are required to register things, and were set up as "mandatory log-in accounts" for various bits of hardware

I think one consequence of this round my way will be that a possible tramway project suddenly finds a home . The old desktop computer has been clinging on largely because it carries my Freeserve email account, which I've never got round to moving across to my laptop. The only other thing tied to it is a vintage flatbed scanner. Once the email shuts down it can probably go and the area in the study occupied by the computer desk  can be freed up to take more bookshelves, and a boxed tram diorama

• RMweb Gold

I've just spent most of today changing my address for over 100 websites that have my old email address. It's amazing how quickly they mount up. Apart from the main ones for utilties, insurance, and licences, there's all the forums and model shop accounts to do. :no:

Now I've only got to tell all my email contacts too. :O

Rob

Buy a domain name, have your emails sent to that and then forward them to your ISP mail. Costs only a little bit and you can change ISP anytime you like. Done it for years. You can also set up specific email addresses for some uses if you don't want to give out your main address.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well I've spent about a week or so changing my old Freeserve address over to Gmail, but still getting mail from places I didn't remember, and I've still got to do all the wifes FSmail stuff.

She's had an email from FSmail to say it's closing and what to do, I'm still waiting. So glad the OP raised this topic.

Stiil all my many email contacts to advise. :O

Rob

Buy a domain name, have your emails sent to that and then forward them to your ISP mail. Costs only a little bit and you can change ISP anytime you like. Done it for years. You can also set up specific email addresses for some uses if you don't want to give out your main address.

Roy

I have also done this for many years, but just need to check if there is any residual email coming direct.

Well I've spent about a week or so changing my old Freeserve address over to Gmail, but still getting mail from places I didn't remember, and I've still got to do all the wifes FSmail stuff.

She's had an email from FSmail to say it's closing and what to do, I'm still waiting. So glad the OP raised this topic.

Stiil all my many email contacts to advise. :O

Rob

I have a few Freeserve acccounts, but have only received the termination notice on two. The first one prompting the post was quite some time ago now.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I still haven't had an email about my freeserve account so I am grateful for this thread. I have now transferred most of my accounts over to my new email address and have about two months left to see what I've missed.

Cheers

Paul

Most ISP/ Telcos are desperately shutting down these legacy email platforms -  they generate no income, cost a lot and in real life the churn effect on other services is minimal. 

Most are offering some sort of chargeable upgrade to a proper MS / Google service, cant speak for EE though,  am currently working on disposing of 800k of mailboxes in NZ... amongst others.

• RMweb Premium

Just got my email confirming the closure. Here's a link to advice on how to go about changing, and saving emails, for those not yet advised.

http://ee.co.uk/help/mobile-and-home-connections/broadband-gallery-mobile-broadband/email/email-closure?intcam=ON_EE_E_Orange_email_closure_infomremail_bottomlink-2017-01-11

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Trying to change my primary Alias on Microsoft from my old fsmail address, but timed out before completion. Now they say I've requested too many codes, so try again tomorrow. (They tried to send a code to my landline 'phone, which is marked as not receiving notifications!)

Does anyone know if there is a straightforward way to just 'email' them and does it cost anything to use their on line chat ? ( though I'm too slow typing to keep up with 'chat' operatives).

Any advice will be welcome.

• RMweb Premium

Those haven't been needed since 2015, and Orange give clear instructions for users on switching email provider.

Dropping email is a good reason to swap ISP

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Something I've discovered whilst changing over email addresses.

Most companies have you create an account. That's linked to an email and that is in your "profile" in that account; usually you can change it online and there's no problem.

What I found out is that that email is not necessarily linked to the mail you get from that company, specially marketing mail.

I happened to ring NPower this morning as i'd changed my account email details, a week or so ago, and had recieved, this morning, mail from them to my old email address. I spoke with their technical department and the chap said they ran 3 separate systems and they weren't linked. Apparently this is all to do with data protection. He did check that all their systems were pointed at my new address, but couldn't explain the rogue mail. "If it re-occurs give us another call"

This is a bit worrying as all my utility billing info' comes via email now, and could be sent to a non-existant address, leaving me none the wiser.

So if you've changed details, occasionally check the old account (before it disappears) as you might find stuff in there.

Rob

Only just been informed of this. I have had my Freeserve email address since dial up days and still have it even though I left Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange, EE 2or 3 years ago. Bit of a daunting task now changing my email address after about 15 - 20 years of use!

• RMweb Premium

Only just been informed of this. I have had my Freeserve email address since dial up days and still have it even though I left Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange, EE 2or 3 years ago. Bit of a daunting task now changing my email address after about 15 - 20 years of use!

Hi Nick,

Yes daunting is the word, I've still got a few left to do and odd ones come in I didn't remember I had.

I created a spreadsheet of people and websites I need ed to contact and change my email for, and for my wife too, she was with Fsmail.

Work methodically through the list and any that are difficult to do, come back too. I've a couple who will not accept online changes, only by phone.

There's still over 2 months before the systems are closed, so you should make it. Good luck.

Rob

I've still not had any notification from Orange about my Freeserve email account, so I am really grateful to Colin, the original poster, for bringing this up. Why haven't they got round to e-mailing all their customers, and why haven't they put a prominent notice on the Orange e-mail webpages when you log in?

I have found a lot of websites and organisations send a confirmation link to your old e-mail address when you change your e-mail address, and this link must be clicked on to complete the change, so the old e-mail needs to be still functioning...

I am working through a big list - I have found some cases where there seems to be no way to change the e-mail, for example Bosch Domestic Appliances.