Southern Railway Modelling - Miscellaneous Project work

Jack P

Wow.. It's been a fair wee while since I posted last. 

Winter hit pretty hard and the workshop needs a bit of work to be slightly more habitable + get rid of moisture.

I've been slowly chipping away at the EM converted WD and the Z, with the Z being the focus over the weekend. 

Pipework under the bunker was pretty fiddly and I decided the best option was to attach it to the chassis. 

52175500904_ae3a127aa0_b.jpg

Looks a bit weird with the body off. Not a perfect representation, but fairly close. Sanding gear bent to shape too.

52175251948_1fe213e99b_b.jpg

The next step is to complete the brake gear, and figure out how/where I'm going to re-mount the springs and any other miscellaneous pipework that lurks under there.

You can see the motor cradle here. Some work is still needed, at present the cradle supports the motor when the forces acting on it are pushing it down (reverse) but when they go the other way, the motor tends to hit the backhead. 

52175252013_c160abee1b_b.jpg

Wheels all in place and rods mounted. The first two crankpins are markits threaded examples, and have been serious reduced in size in order to clear the crosshead and connecting rod. Lots of thinning down needed as the clearances are tight!

52175500944_27b1984e68_b.jpg

Here's a quick video of running trials with the thinned down crankpins/crosshead and connecting rod.

Anyways, that's all for now. I hope you are all keeping well!

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

That's really coming on nicely, Jack. Pipework is essential to the character of steam loco models, but it is a right fiddle to do (I like that motor mount, too - very neat).

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Jack P said:

You can see the motor cradle here. Some work is still needed, at present the cradle supports the motor when the forces acting on it are pushing it down (reverse) but when they go the other way, the motor tends to hit the backhead. 

52175252013_c160abee1b_b.jpg

Jack

As you know I am not a great builder of locos, but when I took lessons from a certain Mr Wright, his suggested approach was to fix down the front end of the motor by using a stiff wire to connect one of the terminals directly to the chassis; this acted both as a connection and to prevent the motor from rocking upwards when in forward motion.

See my E5X chassis below:

SJPP520019902210520.jpg.4514dc2da78d6e82a4a83e4b6a65a606.jpg

Tony

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Adam said:

That's really coming on nicely, Jack. Pipework is essential to the character of steam loco models, but it is a right fiddle to do (I like that motor mount, too - very neat).

Adam

Thanks Adam! I'm trying to channel my inner Dave Holt with this one. Lots of the pipework is lifted straight from Nick Dunhill's 7mm Z - I know that you shouldn't model a model, but his is so well researched that I'm putting my qualms aside in this instance. 

14 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I really love that contrast between glossiness and matt finishes on the locos you've weathered, are you able to share how you achieved that please?

Thanks William! Mr Color Super Clear III is my go to gloss varnish. It's a lacquer, and has excellent thinning properties. I also let it fully cure for a few days (in the sun if I can), after which it's a super strong base for my enamel weathering. The Matt is the tried and tested Gunmetal/Tan Leather/Matt black in varying quantities, more brown for the chassis, and less for the smokebox/upper areas. I also gently buff the smokebox with a cotton bud after the paint has dried. I also use powders and don't seal them, which further adds tonal variation and matt effect. 

I hope that helps! 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, RAY NORWOOD said:

Hi Jack. That looks fantastic Jack. Is the motor and gearbox from High levels.

Thanks Ray, the box is. I'm sure it's a Loadhauler+, the motor is very similar to the HLK one, but is from NZ Finescale. 

13 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Interesting that you have taken the O gauge approach with the injector pipework, which does look good and must be less likely to be damaged. 

Yes, I actually copied Nick Dunhill's 7mm Z. In the end it was for the best, plenty of soldered connections to the frames (hopefully) means this tangle won't go going anywhere. 

12 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Jack

As you know I am not a great builder of locos, but when I took lessons from a certain Mr Wright, his suggested approach was to fix down the front end of the motor by using a stiff wire to connect one of the terminals directly to the chassis; this acted both as a connection and to prevent the motor from rocking upwards when in forward motion.

See my E5X chassis below:

Tony

Tony, Hope all is well!

That's an excellent Idea, and one I've used before. However, the chassis is electrically dead and uses Gibson wheels, so no luck there.

The option I will probably solder the motor terminals to wire which connects to PCB inside the chassis, with the pickups branching off this.

It should stop the motor from bucking, but I do still need a little bit of flexibility for the CSB to work. 

Tender locos should be easier, as I plan to adopt the American pickup method there.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jack P said:

Thanks Adam! I'm trying to channel my inner Dave Holt with this one. Lots of the pipework is lifted straight from Nick Dunhill's 7mm Z - I know that you shouldn't model a model, but his is so well researched that I'm putting my qualms aside in this instance. 

Thanks William! Mr Color Super Clear III is my go to gloss varnish. It's a lacquer, and has excellent thinning properties. I also let it fully cure for a few days (in the sun if I can), after which it's a super strong base for my enamel weathering. The Matt is the tried and tested Gunmetal/Tan Leather/Matt black in varying quantities, more brown for the chassis, and less for the smokebox/upper areas. I also gently buff the smokebox with a cotton bud after the paint has dried. I also use powders and don't seal them, which further adds tonal variation and matt effect. 

I hope that helps! 

Thank you! I’m very interested in the transition from gloss to Matt on the boiler cladding- is that a case of applying a wash and buffing it out in the middle of the panels, or are you using powders to dampen the glossiness?

• Like 1

Hi Jack

Looking really good, I like the pipework attached to the chassis, I have attached the sand pipes to the chassis on a couple of builds.

How is the motor support attached to the chassis?

• Like 1

On 28/06/2022 at 19:20, Lacathedrale said:

Thank you! I’m very interested in the transition from gloss to Matt on the boiler cladding- is that a case of applying a wash and buffing it out in the middle of the panels, or are you using powders to dampen the glossiness?

I have developed a bit of a technique, and that usually involves spraying the loco with a mucky colour and then using a damp brush with thinners to wet everything and streak down. Once i've done this and it's dried, i'll buff the panels with a cotton bud, and usually this leaves a bit of grot around the boiler bands. I usually go back in lightly with the airbrush after this just to highlight some areas. 

If I can find the time (and if I remember) I'll film it the next time I do it. But If you have any other questions in the interim, let me know!

On 30/06/2022 at 04:14, gz3xzf said:

Hi Jack

Looking really good, I like the pipework attached to the chassis, I have attached the sand pipes to the chassis on a couple of builds.

How is the motor support attached to the chassis?

Howdy Bryan,

Thank you!

The motor support is soldered to a bit of brass as a baseplate, which has been araldited inside the frame. The front of the support arm was filed flat and is up against a frame spacer, with some more araldite smeared in there. Seems pretty secure, but we shall see!

• Like 3

On 03/07/2022 at 14:19, Lacathedrale said:

Ah, so it's a gloss coat underneath, with a matt wash/streaking that's buffed off the boiler? Lovely!

Jack loves spraying gloss on anything he gets his hands on 😉 From what he has shown me, Jack barely uses any powders, more for very certain parts (@Jack P correct me if I'm wrong)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/07/2022 at 05:59, Lacathedrale said:

While I'm here I may as well also confirm - airbrush for the gloss varnish, and then for the tan/gunmetal/black mixture are you washing that over the parts, or airbrushing for full coverage?

From what he has shown me, on a good chunk of the loco is full coverage, cleaned off, then lightly sprayed back in certain areas, like rivets and edges of tenders. But does depend on the look he going for. *full coverage doesn't mean a heavy spray. 

He really has mastered what he does. 

• Like 2

On 05/07/2022 at 22:59, Lacathedrale said:

While I'm here I may as well also confirm - airbrush for the gloss varnish, and then for the tan/gunmetal/black mixture are you washing that over the parts, or airbrushing for full coverage?

I airbrush the muck on, in a sort of 'general' application, and then re-activate it with thinners to streak it. This also seems to have the added benefit of making the remaining paint very receptive to being cleaned with cotton buds. 

I still don't think I'm doing the description justice. I'll get  a video!

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2022 at 06:08, Tony Teague said:

Hi Jack

Sorry to hear about the damp etc, but congratulations on your engagement!

The work you have done to create a new worshop looks impressive.

Tony

Hey Tony!

That's ok, it's a great learning curve!

Thank you! I managed to keep the ring a surprise so it was a nice little addition to our holiday away!

On 11/10/2022 at 12:18, 313201 said:

Hi Jack P

Hope you are feeling better, I had pneumonia myself back in December 2018 and spent a week in hospital 

Very impressive models with a high level of detail, well done

Much better now thank you! I'm certainly glad we are coming out of winter. 

Thanks for your kind words, I'm reeeally hoping I'll have some updates to the modelling at some point!

• Like 4

Quick update on the workshop:

The floor in the 'new' section was very roughly cut out, and really needed surface finishing. It didn't need to be dead level as the benches will be fixed to the wall, and checked for flatness against them.

Having said that, I was a bit anxious about having a crack myself, because I didn't want the end result to be absolute garbage.

One of my friends runs a flooring business, so a quick call to him, and some bags of self levelling compound (at cost even!) and we were away.

52438342000_2e42e8ca1e_c.jpg

52437378467_097baedff7_c.jpg

52437884566_ccde625807_c.jpg

Came out really nicely. After it dried I hit it with a scraper to remove any bubbles and other little nibs etc. It isn't the prettiest floor (although with a proper polish it would come up nicely), but it doesn't matter because it's going to have carpet tile over the top. 

The next major thing was the door. This has been one of the major hurdles of the job so far. What I really needed was a proper external door, but finding one that fit the existing hole was borderline impossible, as it's not a standard size. 

I managed to pick up a decent timber external door with an Aluminum frame (in this gorgeous red colour). 

The next job was to strip it back, and it was a bit of a mission - but the end result is this very well made door, that is in excellent condition. I've bought a new handle/deadbolt set that are keyed alike, and will go in once the door has been painted. 

52437884566_ccde625807_c.jpg

52437884481_2ca507f246_c.jpg

It will go in on the right hand side of the existing door. It's an internal opening door, so i'll also look at putting an awning in over it. 

One of the unrealised knock on effects of moving the door location is that I will have more internal space for a big L shaped workbench!

52437378497_ac7b45dc4d_c.jpg

I managed to rope my brother in to helping me out with digging around the outside of the shed. The concrete blocks had a little bit of damp creep onto the internal walls. So my intention was to seal them up, and while I'm in there i'll backfill with gravel and put some weedmat down, and pavers around the outside to stop any vegetation ruining my hard work.

52438160734_8b8f7ec565_c.jpg

52437884311_19ca12a3e6_c.jpg

Once the wall had been cleaned and dried I applied a tar based sealer. In the first image you can see what looks like a plumbing pipe. This houses the current incoming power for the shed. The next step will be to take this out, and run new 6mm cable + data out to the shed, and re-locate it into a much more accessible spot. Once this is done, I'll cut the pipe away and fill the hole, before finally filling the trench in. There's no massive rush for this - which is great.. because the sealer takes 30 days to cure fully!

The final major exterior job is the cladding. Unfortunately the cladding is a bit worse for wear, and above the section i've dug out, the exterior wall has clearly had some serious moisture ingress. Thankfully none of the internal framework is damaged, but i'll need to re-clad most of the 'old' side. Even worse, I'll need to lose the windows. The frames are absolutely rotten through and very leaky. I might see if I can find some second hand/reclaimed double glazed windows, but worst case I'll just need a really good internal lighting setup. All the internal ply will be screwed on, so if it's really dire, I could fit something later on. 

I've done some measurements of what's needed (excuse the crude drawings). Standard sheets are 1200 x 2400 and I've done some measurements/further crude drawings to really minimize waste. I can get the odd shaped bit, Long thin bit and the short angled bit out of a single sheet. and then I think with some careful planning i'll only need 4 more sheets to get the rest. 

52438342425_a33c017ccd_c.jpg

52437884071_3e2ca46881_c.jpg

I feel like progress is being made. The list is definitely getting much shorter. Once all the exterior work is done, it should be (relatively) quick progress getting cables run internally, insulation strapped in and interior ply cut to size and fixed in place. My Partner's dad is going to help me make a false floor for the 'old' side. Which will make the finishing work a bit easier as there's less battening/attaching wood to concrete.

That's all for now. Apologies that this isn't train related. But we are getting much close to train related content resuming!

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

More progress over the weekend. 

Joists in place for the new floor.

There's still a concrete lip at the front, where you go from the new to the old. Better planning on my part would have meant we had raised the joists up and had the new floor go out over the lip. There's still time to do that, we will just need to add strips to the tops of the joists. Otherwise i'll just add some grip tape and call it a day. 

52465127762_696a3983c1_c.jpg

52466092330_b5a7c6f40a_c.jpg

It was absolutely bucketing down on Saturday, so we had to work inside to do all of the cutting and measuring etc. 

Sunday was nicer. Windy but sunny, so we made a start on getting the door in place. 

Had to cut a whopping great hole in the side of the shed, put up some new studs, and then get the framing in place. 

52466092335_4fc5574766_c.jpg

52465125647_6e017be164_c.jpg

52465625146_172fc8a466_c.jpg

Bad news, the door is upside down in the frame. or more accurately, the door is the correct way up, the frame is upside down. This means the frame and door will need to come out again. 

It's not so bad though, it's only been tacked in place.

There's also a gap around the bottom of the door where it isn't sealing properly. I'm a bit confused about this, as the door appears to be straight, and so does the frame. But the frame is metal, so maybe it's warped somehow? I'll have an expert come and have a look and see what can be done. The door isn't a standard size either, so if the frame is poked, my options are a new, custom made frame, or a new door and the associated work to get it to fit in the gap. 

The weather-proof tape is temporary, The lowest part of the building where it meets the tile was not raised when the shed was built, so we are going to need to figure out a belt and braces approach to water tightness in that area to stop any leaking/damp creep/etc.

Slowly slowly, but this photo shows the space I will have available for a big L shaped workbench.

52466175673_ed63bf2e35_c.jpg

Reeeeeeeally hoping to get things sorted before the end of the year, It's been a long time without the ability to do any modelling, and with all the new arrivals (both on their way and imminent) I have plenty to be getting on with. Not to mention my unfinished projects. The Z is getting on for 2 years WIP.

• Like 17

• 2 weeks later...

There is something modelling related that I haven't posted about in a while, and that's the EM conversion of the Bachy WD.

Honestly the more I look at it, the more I think I should've just tackled the Bradwell kit. Ah well!

Looking back, I'm not sure i've actually posted about this before??

Lanarkshire models Tender chassis and heavily modified brassmasters LMS pony truck. Both are sprung, the tender is CSB and the Pony is just some springy wire bearing against the axle as per the instructions.

52492423067_c53dc28d9d_c.jpg

52493189204_2bf6d58855_c.jpg

52493459563_987e054e36_c.jpg

Gibson wheels with harvested Bachman gear wheel. Testing the return cranks for positioning.

52492423062_0a9f6b0b7f_c.jpg

Miscellaneous details added + repaired brake column

52492894211_b149fa945f_c.jpg

52493176149_f59d82ca77_c.jpg

52493446068_0b3afa9d6d_c.jpg

Current state of play

52493360305_322504df31_c.jpg

52493176144_a99e7508e8_c.jpg

52493360295_260bba17be_c.jpg

I ended up making spacers for the connecting rods big ends by turning down some Markits crankpin washers, a fiddley exercise but worth the effort. Of course I then found some washers that would have been a perfect fit - no matter.

52493485833_870de0dbb5_c.jpg

I managed to fernagle the loco tender connection, so that it still connects in the regular way. Once it's done, it will effectively be permanently coupled. 

Still plenty to do, the motion needs fettling + blackening, and the crankpins all need attention. I also need to make a few other detail bits that southern locos seemed to have. 

It certainly won't be the most accurate WD out there, but the end product should be ok!

That's all for now

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

Ooooh, another model project update.

I've long been wanting a large gauge display loco. I've toyed with the idea of a 7mm kit, but I fear that will be a slippery slope - Wanting to add motor/gearbox, then i'll need some track to test it on, etc, etc.

So my thoughts then turned to Gauge 1 European locomotives. Really my first exposure to model railways was playing with my grandad's Marklin sets, I never met him, but tinkering in his workshop and playing with his trains obviously impacted me fairly significantly.

Next issue, cost, can I justify a fairly large bill for a loco that is (incredible, but) static? No.

So what other options do I have?

52492909267_27fdaee892_b.jpg

A 1/35th scale plastic kit (nearly G1) of a German Kriegslok. A Hattons bargain, and just the ticket. 

The plan is to finish it in the black and red colourscheme, and while it's unlikely to be perfect, or even vaguely accurate, it will scratch the itch and pay homage in one.

Obviously I won't be building it out of the box, so I ordered some extras:

52493672159_443f08217d_b.jpg

Sprung, turned buffers, photoetch detail sets, and some transfers from Archers. I've also got a wealth of photographic material to hand.

I'll post a link to the build when it happens, as it probably won't be here.

Something different eh!

• Like 13