RMweb

Renaming Hornby King

• RMweb Gold

A bit of gentle brutality carefully applied; get a small slot-head watchmaker's screwdriver and work it beneath the old plate, and lever it off by twisting the screwdriver head when you've got a bit of purchase behind, taking care not to damage the plastic backing plate.  The hard part is getting the break started; once you've got a bit of a gap there, it's just a matter of working it until the whole thing comes off.

Do not come after me with a baseball bat if you damage your model; with care you shouldn't, but there is always a bit of risk with this sort of butchery.

Attach the new plate with a few tiny dabs of superglue of the sort that takes a minute or two to go off so that there is a bit of leeway for final positioning; push it around with the watchmaker's screwdriver.  Sit back and admire your handiwork, and reward yourself with a cup of tea, For You Are A Railway Modeller, my friend, Mighty And Fearless, Cool, Handsome, and Debonair.  Men want to be you and women want to be with you. 

Is it just me that feels like that when I manage to finish some such job without mucking it up?

• RMweb Gold

I've done 3 now plus a pair of castles with the same type of plates.

In each case I used this superglue and glued the new plate over the top of the Hornby etch. I used modelmasters plates with the splashier carefully cut away leaving just the name.

Should be more details on my blog linked below.

Thanks - plates successfully removed. One broke off quickly, the other needed the pliers to pull it off once I'd got a break. Minor repairs required to reversing lever.

Of the Fox product, with absolute precision, about the only one they don't do, is the one I want.... 6029 King Stephen...

David

• RMweb Premium

Thanks - plates successfully removed. One broke off quickly, the other needed the pliers to pull it off once I'd got a break. Minor repairs required to reversing lever.

Of the Fox product, with absolute precision, about the only one they don't do, is the one I want.... 6029 King Stephen...

David

247 Developments have King Stephen.

247 Developments have King Stephen.

Thanks - so does modelmaster. From other renaming threads, the comments about fox for gwr plates are generally very positive. Whilst More expensive, they seem to be a better product hence my preference to use them

David

Archived