RMweb

Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

Somehow, two hapless detectives from a Belgian story have blundered in, and the engineers are using a French shunting engine, inherited from the German army, and produced in model form by a Czech company. Not much chance of Brexit here!

Oh, I don't know, that machine truck is North Eastern, and, so, we know the way it voted! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Now here's an odd one after recent posts which I felt should be shared, I found it whilst wandering around the web, as you do, ( on a site dedicated to E.L.Moore) its entitled "Rowland Emett settles down for a good nights sleep at the Grizzly Flats Depot":

post-26540-0-58931200-1505940317.jpg

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 4

Don't know if its reached you yet, but there is a programme about Walt Disney going the rounds on PBS over here.  Its about his films and life story with excerpts of his railway interest from his personal narrow gauge trains to the Disneyland Railroad.  Plus, all about his films.  Worth watching!

Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I called in to see a friend at is office in The Ministry of Old Fashionedness earlier today (didn't want to appear in a photo, but happy for his desk to be shown) and he passed to me an envelope containing prints made by the Official Photographer. Apparently, these are from a set about goods transport, but were rejected by The Minister, because they portray overt modernity, in the form of cooperation between railways and "road motors", but I thought readers might find them interesting.

post-26817-0-45997700-1506719394_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-30505700-1506719410_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-91065900-1506719422_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-03749000-1506719437_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-30535300-1506719450_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-46064100-1506719464_thumb.jpg

post-26817-0-19111700-1506719478_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The Corgi Thorneycroft is pretty much spot on 7mm scale, although the version I purchased had wheels that would perhaps have suited a model of a large-engined motorbike (or, more likely, two motorbikes). I prepared something more reasonable...

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Geoffrey tells me that he works on the "shake it all about" principle when it comes to paperwork. From what I could understand, this involves removing papers from his tray, shuffling them into a different order, and putting them back into the tray, thereby avoiding the controversy and confrontation inherent in decision making. He's risen fast, and I think will rise further.

• Like 3

A certain long-departed modeller of some repute in 0 gauge circles took a similar attitude to anything that arrived in an official envelope. Thus the income tax papers were despatched (unsullied by anything remotely like his handwriting) to the electricity board, the rates demand to the gas board, the driving licence to the health service and so on. It's possible that the envelope stuffing involved a bit of random document shuffling. I am informed that this strategy served him well for many years.

I was quite young when I knew him, I asked him why he did it. He replied, ah, if the functionary who opens the envelope gets what he or she is expecting, they have a procedure to deal with it. If they don't get something they expect, they don't have a procedure, so it gets referred to lower management. Who either do, or don't have a procedure. It's unlikely that any of them have a procedure to deal with a response to a tax demand that includes the flyer for the church fete, the second page of an information leaflet on kidney stones, and half a gas bill. And thus it gets elevated to the next level of lower middle management. You can see a pattern developing here.

He figured that he'd be fine until two forms bearing his name got to the desk of the chief secretary to the treasury at the same time.

Best

Simon

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the Waste paper bin has replaced the out tray (even better replacing the in tray!) I had a boss who would circulate anything that looked tedious to read with a list of the teams initials with WPB at the end. He considered it covered his duties of informing the staff, if it contained anything of importance one of us at least would keep a copy and reducing his filing.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had a friend who worked on the railways in the 60s as a civil engineer.  He said a survey would come on around on a regular basis which was dutifully filled in.  It was found after some time that these surveys, when returned were being stored in a locked room.  the person who started the survey had left but it was still being sent out.  After that a memo went out saying that if anything was left in the In Tray in the evening it should be put in the out tray as if it was important it would be returned, or sent out again.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to steal an hour this afternoon to stick some cork down and plonk track loosely down in the fiddle-yard. Uninteresting photo below.

Hopefully, I will get some more time on this tomorrow, because the inability to run trains, other than a bit of shunting, is really annoying me, and it's six weeks or so since I dismantled this side of the layout.

post-26817-0-77739400-1507735887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 9

Pretty good progress in a couple of hours today: fiddle-yard tracks cut to length and laid. No need to be too fussy about sleeper-spacing here, but the curves on the lifting-section are deemed 'scenic', so what you see here is only loose, pending sleeper-threading, underlay etc.

post-26817-0-69455900-1507826451_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Pretty good progress in a couple of hours today: fiddle-yard tracks cut to length and laid. No need to be too fussy about sleeper-spacing here, but the curves on the lifting-section are deemed 'scenic', so what you see here is only loose, pending sleeper-threading, underlay etc.

Good to see rapid progress being made. Are there going to be more fiddle/storage tracks in front of those three? If not do the extended cross members serve some other function?

Northroader - wonderful, as always. Definite look of Hornby tinplate there.

Stephen - the outriggers support the small terminus, Paltry Circus, which I've lifted out of the way while working on the FY. There is a track plan in Post 1, but I need to draw a new one, because a few plans have changed. The main alteration is that I've decided not to put in the big, curved, platforms at Birlstone, because they would swamp what is a small layout, making it look cramped.

Kevin

• Like 1

just as an add on ,just had an update from WJ Vintage ..he is promising another new addition to be revealed at the end of October along with some more 6 wheeled milk tankers ,so perhaps it won't be to sad to say goodbye to October!