Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

Could it be one placed on the 'wrong side' of the track for sighting reasons and so had the arm the opposite way round.

Stionmaster Mike could probably quote some examples if that is the case.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The signal really is “the wrong way round”.

It looks like a real subsidiary signal of some sort, but if it is real, it’s very unusual, isn’t it?

It looks like a bit of a mash-up Kevin. There's no lamp behind the arm and the post looks more like a lamp post than a signal post. With a lower-quadrant arm and spectacle like that I would expect to see the pivot on the left (as it is) and a lamp on the right of the post, with the whole arm and spectacle turned round to suit.

Still, it's not my house and it's not my signal so who am I to say?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

One thing I’m pretty certain of is that the signal is not original to the location, so it might have come from a rare application, but I’m sceptical ........ Mike is indeed the man to ask, so I will.

I'm here - at last!

My word what a bitsa - bitsathis and bitsathat.  I couldn't quite make out if the arm is enamelled steel but if it is then it has been altered as the proportions in respect of the position of the white stripe are rather peculiar (something which generally happened where the arm had been shortened for some reason but that doesn't seem to have happened very often.  The metal casting at the post end is very definitely to the standard Reading pattern (or a very good copy of one).  The spectacle plate is definitely wrong for that arm although the very early enamel arms did use the previous pattern of spectacle formed out of metal strip but the proportions don't look quite right for the Reading design and it probably came from somewhere else.  The finial is a not particularly convincing fake of a GWR finial of any type although it might possibly have come from somewhere else - I tend to think not as it simply doesn't look right to me.

So overall an entertaining bit of fun and I suspect not really intended to be anything more.  Anybody going to the trouble of having what looks like a pretty good reduced scale signalbox in their garden would probably have taken as much care with a signal so I reckon this one might be 'odd' on purpose (to discourage thieves??)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Thank you.

Rather as I suspected.

Today’s signals are a lot better, but the bike is in the guard’s van at the moment.

51F6890E-C7E1-4A09-93E5-EA78C04C3AB8.jpeg

B59D4F66-0529-40D0-BDEF-B69506FF9A36.jpeg

Two photos, five signals and half a loco. You've got your priorities right.

My favourite heritage railway (member since about 1969).

• Like 2

Ditto.

Having grown-up very nearby, I was aware of it almost from the start of preservation, and was a volunteer from the mid-70s until I moved away.

The landscape of The Weald is woven into me too, so the combination of that with railway, and cycling there as I used to do, makes an irresistible combination ....... a giant nostalgiefest really.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Well that was a thoroughly entertaining read and corruption ;)  I've got some of the tinplate trams shown a few pages back and I'm looking for clockwork mechanisms or cheap battery mechs using the Tamiya gearboxes I've used in 16mm. They will go well with the Billerbahn stuff :) 

• Like 2

The calendar here never progresses much beyond about 1955 (although I'm suspicious of the lining on those suburban coaches), so this railway can continue to serve obscure destinations, while making huge operating losses, without the interference of keen-as-mustard outsiders.

Incidentally, the two BL locos never cease to impress me. Clean the wheels, lubricate bearing sparingly, and they will growl into motion and trundle round with a train at c800mA, at 60+ years old, and with three-pole open-framed motors. 

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Well, that's a relief!

You could probably allow a couple more years of "progress" if you want to include the later BR emblem on your locos (and those lined suburban coaches), without having to allow for the Doctor. Get it up to 1959, and you can justify a mini on the overbridge (not that you could see it!).

The only Doctor on my layout lives in a Tardis!

Gordon

• Like 2

Good morning Neverwood can I ask how you got over the problem of insulating your points as i see that Peco dont do isolating fish-plates for their SM32 Track I was going to pursue the SM32 route for my coarse scale stock but as the points are electrofrog couldn't find a way of insulating the frog !

Yet again, not much to do with 0 gauge, although it is extremely old-fashioned ........

Ive long been aware of the plateway that existed 200+ years ago across the top of Blisworth Hill in Northants while the canal tunnel was dug and re-dug, but was interested today to see that the canal museum at Stoke Bruerne now has a better display about the topic ........ I’m still intrigued by what seem to be bits of very early edge-rail gubbins in the display, but the paintings are very good.

Background reading http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/TheHillRailway.htm

23733549-183D-4625-AB91-D9ED31B6D77B.jpeg

FBE7EE89-35AD-4CC2-91A0-BFFF8D79EFA7.jpeg

0DD8C1C9-0096-413C-9FD6-DBBC067301F5.jpeg

F11A9F2B-199F-47EB-BD23-C7AD21BED288.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

Now, this is even less connected with the topic than plateways, but by golly is it old-fashioned cool: a 1940s lunar suit.

Background https://www.bis-space.com/2019/07/18/22738/the-bis-lunar-spacesuit-national-space-centre

Fits In well with the Eagle theme that somehow emerged in Martin’s thread.

Notice Army Surplus camp bed in space ship!

E9CBBBE2-98EC-42D8-B097-1BB12ECD7A70.jpeg

09700763-85B9-45A1-AB89-7329FF021606.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another somewhat random thought (no picture this time, sorry):

I've been reading-up on the subject of milk traffic on railways again, and stumbled upon possibly the most obscure, and evocatively named, timetabled stopping place on a British railway, in the form of Friar Waddon Milk Platform, on the GWR Abbotsbury Branch.

It was probably no more than a wooden staging, set where an unsurfaced farm track crossed the railway on its way between two large dairy barns, but its name seems to say everything about the sort of railways that Betjeman eulogised (can objects be eulogised?).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Probably quite a bit bigger, but yes, that is roughly what I imagined.

In the process, I've learned that the things at the roadside, where churns were collected from farms, are called "churn stands", whereas I could swear they were called "churn banks".

Where in Arcadia is that station?

PS: "Tell him to go to the WC&P." This 'station' certainly has the look of a back-garden convenience https://picclick.co.uk/Walton-Park-Railway-Station-Photo-Weston-Clevedon-264255783931.html#&gid=1&pid=1

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3