Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

18 hours ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Had such a locomotive as this existed in real-life, its main purpose is for heavy shunting and local branchline traffic.

In truth, it’s a huge beast, nearest equivalent probably being some heavy industrial shunters, but even then I think it is too big. It is so big because there was always a clockwork version, and a good spring needs a big space to unwind into.

Design was, I’m pretty certain, by Greenly, and he always liked big and practical over petite and scale.

But, in model railway terms it is very practical, ideal for goods and shunting, and works well on suburban passenger trains. It was a good seller for nearly thirty years, in a multiplicity of black liveries, and the LMR bought a small batch of specially low-geared ones in blue for their signalling training railway.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 04/11/2019 at 22:20, Nearholmer said:

This might help.

The junction between the Paltry Branch and the Main, at the station throat.

The train is routed into Platform 2 (I think I need to make the route indicator bigger!); the arm second from right controls the route Down the Main; and, the signal on the branch gives a route Down the Main, not into the station.

Catalogue pages from two different dates describe the train better than I could.

F4E43505-5769-468F-B9EF-93909F1E4E49.jpeg

7606D322-DC52-4031-9CB2-FCA3EE75FBD0.jpeg

00CC9B46-90E9-4628-9E53-2D7B98D7F2B9.jpeg

I like that 0-6-0 tender engine as it has a Great Central/LNWR/North Eastern/Midland feel to it. I would love to recreate it in 00 Scale.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

In truth, it’s a huge beast, nearest equivalent probably being some heavy industrial shunters, but even then I think it is too big. It is so big because there was always a clockwork version, and a good spring needs a big space to unwind into.

Design was, I’m pretty certain, by Greenly, and he always liked big and practical over petite and scale.

But, in model railway terms it is very practical, ideal for goods and shunting, and works well on suburban passenger trains. It was a good seller for nearly thirty years, in a multiplicity of black liveries, and the LMR bought a small batch of specially low-geared ones in blue for their signalling training railway.

Seeing as you mentioned LMR, would it be in the LMR Blue livery or some other private owner or colliery company?

I must say, that 0-6-0 and the  BR “blood and custard” coaches are very well observed. As generic, representative models of the sort of thing you might see just about anywhere, they are hard to beat. 

It seems to be a typical, Coarse Scale O Gauge “thing”. Look at the models Lionel were making and selling around the same time, and you see a similar approach. 

HO and OO went in a different direction from the beginning. Tri-ang had its generic 0-4-0 shunters, which remain in production to this day, and the Dock Shunter and the oddball 0-6-0ST but the attraction in that scale was always greater realism, or at least the portrayal of identifiable prototypes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Preserved railways have "Diesel Galas", well, they do in normal years, so I'm sure its permissible to have one, even on an old-fashioned format model railway.

The multi-national double-header is rather fun, with coupling rods and fly-cranks doing their bit.

I hope that die-hard steam-o-philes aren't offended; just remember that they're all electric engines in drag, really.

776584C7-5D19-47C1-92EC-B4ECC8CFD56B.jpeg

3577DFE0-7312-40EA-8363-6CD6DAD30123.jpeg

4CA62EDA-515C-4E4C-8415-9F97E59B76F6.jpeg

FC622A4B-127F-400E-AA36-753E5CFC8578.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 16

On 20/04/2020 at 22:25, Nearholmer said:

Preserved railways have "Diesel Galas", well, they do in normal years, so I'm sure its permissible to have one, even on an old-fashioned format model railway.

The multi-national double-header is rather fun, with coupling rods and fly-cranks doing their bit.

I hope that die-hard steam-o-philes aren't offended; just remember that they're all electric engines in drag, really.

Dear Sir, 

I am writing to express my appreciation for your Railway's recent Diesel Gala event, which by all accounts was a resounding success, with possibly a World's First - having Locomotives from the UK, EU & USA all together at the same time. Well done to all involved in such a venture.

I would also just like to say "KNICKERS" to any die-hard Steam-o-Philes who were offended - the clue was in the title "Diesel Gala" so they had ample warning to go forth elsewhere.

Thank you, I feel much better now.

Sincerely,

Lord Hardly-Worthitt

:D

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

Lord Hardly-Whorthitt May be pleased to learn that I am seriously considering creating a portable display layout-thing for these diesels and some other engines, based around the theme of a military railway.

Bar the Class 20 (if you exclude the faux-Russian one in a James Bond Film), they are all military, even the Class 03 given that the MoD bought one of those from BR to use at Long Marston, where it became ‘Western Waggoner’. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/industriallocomotive/h30D113D0.

Add to them a USA Tank, an Austerity that is due soon, and a LMR Austerity owned by a correspondent here, there is quite a fleet.

• Like 6

You could always go for one of Paul's Sentinels to go with them. It would cheer up us steamophiles!

192452243_P1020455Small.JPG.35277286ec3486a1fbfaec4363d2af4e.JPG

Or perhaps one of these.

It's from Lionel Corporation Tinplate (i.e. MTH renting Lionel's name) and is a replica of something Lionel introduced in 1917 (just as the US was belatedly entering World War 1). The two cars are a bit light and thus rather lively, occasionally jumping off the track. I have acquired a couple of Marx military wagons that I run behind them, so they are less likely to leap off the track.

Gordon

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 22:27, TT-Pete said:

A certain Austrian chappie with a funny mustache had thoughts in that direction...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breitspurbahn

Hope this may still be relevant (if only because of old fashioned older children's book)

There is also Robin Barnes's "Broader than Broad"  book with excellent comparative illustrations published by Camden Steam Services  .

One of my kids fave books in the 1970s was Zany Afternoons 

IMG_20200425_124832_resized_20200425_125339558.jpg.5e68cd661abc67dc5800456a19af9880.jpgzigarette.jpg.ec23972a94c5ad0f0ee5ccc357a8ccfa.jpg

Edited by runs as required
picture sizing
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I like the look of that 'Zany Afternoons' book!! :yes:

Eldest found it remaindered in Durham market for around a fiver, virtually as it came out.

Now I see they are about £50 on line ('spose 'cos he's  a Yank) but if you click this link: 

q=bruce+mccall's+zany+afternoons&safe=strict&sxsrf=ALeKk03H7TxqTN8e9n_TRc3_Jl4fapEtVQ:1587826088854&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjpyvaP6YPpAhWqQRUIHbnQAmwQ_AUoAXoECBgQAw&biw=1440&bih=698

you'd only have to buy the other half of the book

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1