Deliberately Old-Fashioned 0 Scale - Chapter 1

Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Donw said:

At some point te diesel came back to life and the pannier was seen running at speed with the rods flying round although the diesel was probably taking all the load by then

16 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I thought that tale featured a 28xx, on a down train to Bristol.

I thought it was Thomas.

• Agree 2

Can anyone here identify what these chassis parts are from?  The driver axles are connected by spur gears in the frame.  There is a loco trailing bogie and 2 tender bogies.  I am not aware of 4-6-2 locos with bogie tenders.  Excuse me if I ever put this up here before.

20200301_131710.jpg

I am fairly sure that this is not American, since it was labeled British Coarse Scale.  To me, it looks like some sort of chassis engineered to fit under a particular body.  Somewhere out there is someone who will look at this, and immediately say "oh, that is by so-and-so for ..."  The motor casting has JFJ , A50, nr. 320.

These are Fournereau (from France) parts; I assume for a Fournereau Pacific like this (well this is my Marescot version, but Fournereau took over Marescot). The Fournereau motor is a later version, introduced in 1949. See the book on Fournereau: https://www.amazon.fr/Fournereau-générations-passion-modélisme-ferroviaire/dp/2375360001

P1010200.JPG.d01b822d0746aa5ebc04fc5087e729c8.JPG

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

One of the members of the Classic 0 forum has posted a link to this French equivalent forum area http://forum-cfe.forumactif.org/f8-transformations-ameliorations

I'm repeating it here, because it is so fascinating; lots of high creativity and models of what we would call pre-grouping trains being made now in old-fashioned 0 format by hobbyists ......... Northroader will love this!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Very true, Kevin, there’s some lovely modelling in there and thank you for sticking the link in, as I was unaware of its existence. There’s a thread going on similar stuff in finescale, although modesty forbids me saying more.

V

V

V

V

• Like 1

Guilty- secret outbreak of Pullman decadence among the early-nationalisation Puritanism.

These Bing vehicles do groan and rattle, and really prefer tinplate track, but look jolly splendid.

1E5B7163-3824-4672-B167-6D5BF52383D5.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 15

Mine was green and and on carpet and had a GW grey guard's van, and was an unusually quiet-running engine.

I'll see if I can dig out a pic of the engine after I subjected it to early-teenage experiments. 

class_r1_2207.jpg.d68d67fc26480f9b3404f394b152c898.jpg

They don't make 'em like that any more...  :)

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 6

My first one was also subjected to early teenage experiments, in that case a repaint into SECR livery, which looked good to me at the time, but would probably make me weep now.

Good locos by the standards of the time, but very growly (except Rob's).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gave a blue ‘Prince Charles’ a spin the other day, so here is a photo. Very smooth engine for its age this one.

840441F3-F46D-44A0-8F1B-6917C6BDCA35.jpeg.c0af9289c7c0f2cb70c4dda5ad0e42a7.jpeg

We are cooped-up as suspected contagion-bearers, following youngest having a high temperature at the weekend, which thankfully, and with fingers crossed, seems to have simply been ‘one of those passing things’. It all feels very surreal.

Now that schools are to close, we and many others are in this boat for the foreseeable, which is going to take some getting used to. Two usually very sporty children, and both my good lady and I trying to work from home, each part-time, isn’t going splendidly so far!

Attempts to create a ‘home school’ haven’t really worked very well (the pupils sort of went on strike), and it’s mighty challenging trying to carve-out a meaningful routine.

We can go out for a walk as long as we avoid people, and youngest actually wanted to walk past her school today, and look at it from a distance, because she is missing her pals so much ...... it’s very hard on children not being with those of their own age (there is an important four years between our two).

Standby to see parents all over the country forging HGV licenses, so that they can enrol as key-workers in food distribution. And, children sneaking-off to meet their pals, whatever social-distancing advice might be.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Is that what you call "Half an engine to spare"? - Looks very good and glad you managed a few minutes of sanity in this panicking world.

Regarding your last paragraph I was rather (Blackly) amused at the amount of social contact going on between young teenagers, at the GL Centre bus-stop this morning - while they were waiting for the bus to St Pauls school. If one had the virus another 30 have now! - I was at least 50 ft away and trying to stay up-wind!

That reminds me of the interesting pair of comparative satellite pictures of Europe in yesterday's Times, supposedly showing the marked reduction of NO2 pollution between early January and this week. Very interesting to note that the real high spot, then and now, is northern Italy east from Milan across to Venice - it is lower now, but still much the highest level in the whole of Europe.

Keep playing trains. See you on the other side.

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Playing trains is very calming. I've just spent a hour 'running the service', and there is definitely something positive in such an apparently pointless activity ........ I used to find the same when I commuted every day, to work for a railway: that after a stressful day a 1:43 scale busman's holiday was ideal.

As for trying to achieve social-distancing between teenagers, especially teenagers of opposite genders, it simply isn't going to happen, is it? I'm sure Shakespeare wasn't the first to spot that.

• Agree 3