Hunslet 4-6-0

PenrithBeacon

Wikipedia says that only one of these is preserved, that in Brazil.

Is Wiki right or are there more elsewhere?

Regards

I'm afraid Wiki's got it wrong again.  Apart from 1215 which was repatriated to the U.K. from Australia and is now well on it's way to running again four more remain in Oz, 1218, 1229?(incorporating parts of 1240/8/50), 1239 and 1317.  1265 (sans boiler and now i/c propelled) survives in Israel and there is/was another at Burma Mines.  There were several post WW1 built 2'6"g. 'cousins' in Nepal that still existed albeit derelict recently.  The full list is here: http://www.wdlr.org.uk/wdlr/hunslet.htm

Ray.

Here is one of the batch that was sent to BAGS (Buenos Aires Great Southern) railway of Argentina, as plinthed at Concordia in 1992.  It is no. 661 (HE 1337/1919).  It is thought that the side tanks of these locos were removed in the UK prior to export.

post-10122-0-70780900-1488297843_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Snap!

But, I've just realised that it is probably at apedale now, so you can see it while hunting down the other loco.

K

I'm pretty sure that the Hunslet has not made it to Apedale yet and is still being restored in a private workshop. I'll have a word with one of the Apedale chaps tomorrow at the Narrow Gauge North exhibition to confirm.

Andy

Archived