I've really enjoyed looking through this topic, it really reminds me of the local area i saw as a kid in the '60's & '70's, the platform canopy reminds me of Manchester Victoria just as it looked and still was well into the '80's. :)

Glad you've found it interesting Owd Bob. You're right, there is a similarity with Manchester Victoria (as was).

Well, not much has happened in the last two weeks, due to half-term both my wife and daughter have been at home so model-making activities were seriously curtailed! However, I have been thinking hard about the scenic arrangements in the second box and I think that I've got it sorted out, so I've made a start on the tunnel entrance and second retaining wall. This too will have a detachable scenic top section which will sit on the top of the box ends, like the footbridge. There will be a wall, with recessed brick panels above a stone string course, and behind that a narrow cobbled alleyway and the backs of tenement style houses in low relief. These should hide a direct view into the fiddle yard box. Think 'The Ladykillers'!

post-24883-0-91935500-1497109042_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hopefully everything will be finished and running for Padiham in November. I will talk to you then, or maybe at club exhibition before then. Looking for small layouts for our one day show in January.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Hopefully everything will be finished and running for Padiham in November. I will talk to you then, or maybe at club exhibition before then. Looking for small layouts for our one day show in January.

Where is the show and what is the date?

Padiham, I think is first Saturday. I am also organising an exhibition first Saturday in January in Accrington.

I have a small exhibition layout (see Skaleby West thread) which I may be able to bring depending on the date.

I have a small exhibition layout (see Skaleby West thread) which I may be able to bring depending on the date.

For Accrington, I am happy to consider any layout, but can't offer any expenses, which is why I am thinking it might be only ocal layouts. It is a small central location, free entry with donations to local charity, and is as much about bringing exhibitions back into town centres, and promoting the town and market.

I know of a one day show in November that would love to have you.

If it isn't too far from Burnley, and doesn't conflict with either the Padiham show  on the 4th(see post #27 for details), or our club exhibition weekend (25/26th) I'd consider it Andyram.

Accrington's no problem Simon.

Hello. I really like the detail you've put into this, especially the canal edging stones and the canopy.

Thanks, it's turning out rather more detailed than I originally intended! This is a recurring theme, as the same thing happened with my ironing board layout!

Too close to my wife's birthday then I am afraid otherwise I would have happily offered to come.

no problem. it is a long way to travel at that time of year. Reason I chose the weekend is that it was the old Preston exhibiion weekend, and that was always very popular with everyone. Obviously can't guarantee the weather will cooperate, but that can be a problem from December through to March, even April.

Tunnel now lined and drainpipes added. Low relief factory cut down to length and divided at first storey level. The joint is hidden behind some galvanised ducting (thanks for the idea Stubby!), a cable tray and the canopy over the loading doors. Still need to add the roof and copings, and magnetic joiners internally, then to build the loading platform. To the left of the factory will sit the boiler house and chimney, with a yard fenced off from the railway but possibly incorporating a coal unloading platform if I can fit one in. I'd also like to fit in an oil tank and above ground air raid shelter if I can!

post-24883-0-13988600-1497530560_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-92374400-1497530691_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-42294900-1497530780_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Not had much time for this project recently, but finally got back to it. I've realised that the canopy over the goods loading doors on the warehouse/factory is too low, and catches the roof of the van. The way round this is to raise the whole factory building by about 8-9mm which is no problem as I can build this into the loading platform, but it does mean that I'll have to modify the bottom of the doors so there's no step. In the meantime I've finished off the parapet and roof.

I've also found myself waking up in the small hours of the morning thinking about mill chimneys, or at least how I'm going to build one! The Scalescenes kit for the boiler house, which I'm going to use, does include a chimney, but I wanted one that was slightly taller, around 260mm (65ft). I could turn a round one out of wood dowelling on my lathe, but getting brick paper courses to line up horizontally on a tapered former was always going to be tricky, so I went for a square one instead, which gave me problem no. 2. The Scalescenes brick paper only provides a maximum of 176mm without a joint, and joins can be tricky to colour match and hide. This actually worked in my favour, as I need to split the chimney at around 60-70mm so the box lid will close, so I decided to make the bottom, fixed section square and the removable section tapered. With some oversailing corbelling and a brick capuchon around the top, this should get me the height I want. I intend to disguise the joint between the square and tapered sections with a projecting gallery, like the one on the boilerhouse chimney at the place my dad worked. So, the chimney is in production. Once again, the two sections will be held together with a magnet.

Also arrived are the 3D printed yard gates, which I'm very pleased with. A little cleaning up is needed and they can be painted and fitted.

Finally, I've been making some corrugated iron sheets out of some bits of foil I had left over from an Indian meal. These will be used to fence off the boilerhouse yard. Unfortunately (seriousy!?), I didn't have enough, now where's the takeaway telephone number . . . ?

post-24883-0-00258200-1498829150_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-38058900-1498829211_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-58451500-1498829249_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-66584100-1498829277_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-96006000-1498829309_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-18542000-1498829332_thumb.jpg

Edited by Booking Hall
  • Like 4

Here is the boiler house chimney just about finished. It needs weathering of course, next time I fire up the airbrush. I haven't added a lightning conductor, as I'm not sure they were as common in the early 1960's as they would be now. Anyone know more about this subject?

post-24883-0-49202500-1498971471_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-03281300-1498971492_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-82432900-1498971511_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-83145300-1498971524_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

More progress has been made with the second box. The loading bay doors to the factory have been increased in height to take account of the need to raise the building up by 9mm so that goods vans won't hit the canopy, and the boiler house has been built from a Scalescenes download and suitably modified to fit the location. It separates just above the door lintel so the lid will shut. I also added a representative interior so that I could model the door in the open position. We're all ready now to fit the power connector socket and fix the feed wires down, before building up the ground levels and planting the buildings.

Also complete are the struts to hold the box lids in the open, vertical position. These were simply made using some plastic tube epoxyed onto strips of card, which were in turn fixed to the box using double sided foam pads to allow a little 'give'. the struts themselves are pieces of steel rod.

post-24883-0-34342700-1499537550_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-59873100-1499537579_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-48547100-1499537634_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-62673800-1499537697_thumb.jpg

post-24883-0-57822700-1499537763_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Looking good, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to set up for exhibitions.

Those 3D printed gates look good. Did you get them done down the club?

Hi Simon, yes, the club's resident 3D printing expert made them for me on the club's Vellemann printer. Setting up should take around 5 minutes I reckon, everything just slots into place. I'm already thinking about extending on the other side of the fiddle yard box though . . .!! The ultimate modular layout?