Bachmann DCC 66 poorly

Red Baron

Hi all,

My 66702 has  gone disasterously wrong,  it was running fine,  then stopped without being told to.  Then it would olny move in one direction,  all with its factory fitted sound still working.

Took the body off,  found a mass of melted shielding on bogie pickup wires and motor wire - not good.

Cut out the bad wires and replaced,  with some trepidation fired it up.

Sound starts,  but still only moving in one direction ( and illumination wrong in terms of that direction.

tried a decoder reset - still only moves in one direction,  still with incorrect direction on lighting,  sound now doing odd things - horn works but quiet,  no engine sound but some of the effects play at full volume..

Any thoughts?

(apart from cry)

other locos that were running at the same time are fine,  nothing else weird on the layout that i have noticed ( bar lights on a Bachy 85 being somewhat silly  but suspect im not the first to find this)

So it has turned out that the flippant comment on the 85 was quite pointed.

I picked it up today to move it - looked at the "other" side to discover it was very melted,  took the shell of - circuit board totally burned out - copper tracks peeling away  - speaker holder melted. 

:(

Now beginning to think the 85 caused the short that took down the 66. Both had been on the same length of rail.

Interestingly the 21 decoder from the ruined 86 works fine in the 66 ( bar sound as it is just a std decoder)  other than i need to swap the motor wires over on the 66 chassis  as motor runs opposite way to directional lighting...  (or is there a quicker way to do this with CV's ?)  

Need to get the sound decoder tested and possibly reblown now as it does appear functional but corrupt data....

Now if anyone needs a perfectly good 85 chassis with no body or pcb for a project do let me know.

• RMweb Premium

So it has turned out that the flippant comment on the 85 was quite pointed.

I picked it up today to move it - looked at the "other" side to discover it was very melted,  took the shell of - circuit board totally burned out - copper tracks peeling away  - speaker holder melted. 

:(

Now beginning to think the 85 caused the short that took down the 66. Both had been on the same length of rail.

Interestingly the 21 decoder from the ruined 86 works fine in the 66 ( bar sound as it is just a std decoder)  other than i need to swap the motor wires over on the 66 chassis  as motor runs opposite way to directional lighting...  (or is there a quicker way to do this with CV's ?)  

Need to get the sound decoder tested and possibly reblown now as it does appear functional but corrupt data....

Now if anyone needs a perfectly good 85 chassis with no body or pcb for a project do let me know.

A quick check of CV29 should sort your direction out.

I find this quite useful when trying to work out values in CV29

http://www.2mm.org.uk/articles/cv29%20calculator.htm

Incidentally, if the 85 was shorting, shouldn't your DCC controller have protected itself (and other locos on the same circuit)?

What DCC system are you using?

Archived