New Locos Compromised on DC to Favour DCC?

28XX

On this forum

DC topics 1127, replies 11796

DCC topics 5858 replies 56886

N gauge forum

DC topics 392, replies 4920

DCC topics 1142, replies 11789

G scale central

DC topics 174, replies 2120

DCC topics 1057, replies 11790

And there are endless books and magazine articles on DCC

On my layouts, i drive a train into a storage siding, just push one button to change the points and I immediately have control of the train in the selected siding. No need to select the loco on the control device - isn't that brilliant!

On this forum

N gauge forum

G scale central

On my layouts, i drive a train into a storage siding, just push one button to change the points and I immediately have control of the train in the selected siding. No need to select the loco on the control device - isn't that brilliant!

Good for you.

This was not intended to be yet another thread for DC users to boast how rubbish DCC is.

• RMweb Gold

I like switches!

I'm going to build a whole lever frame of them - 32 levers wide - that will be both dc and dcc.

I'm in both camps and when, I turn my attention to BPRC, I will be in three camps as my layout will be controllable/compatible with all three!

Kev.

(Of course the huge great welephant in the room is "when"!)

In my opinion, DC, DCC and radio-control are just tools available to control a layout.  It isn't worth getting too hung-up over what other people should or shouldn't be using.  I use DC for my layout, because I don't think that DCC would provide enough added value for the extra money I would have to spend, or for the extra work, for instance in fitting DCC chips.  (At least 4 of my locomotives are not DCC ready and so don't have sockets; at least 2 do have sockets for DCC chips but would need adaption or very careful choice of chips to fit the available space.)  I can only control one locomotive at a time on my end-to-end layout.  On the other hand, if I had a more complicated layout then I would happily consider using DCC.  If I changed what trains I ran to those modeled on diesel or electric prototypes then perhaps the light and sound facilities offered by DCC would be of more interest to me.

What I would really like to see is for battery-powered radio-control to become more mainstream, and thus easier and probably cheaper to implement.  I believe that this is happening, although I think it will be a little while before it would be feasible to convert my Hornby Terriers.

I wondered what BPRC was until the last post. Now I know I have realised that I am very up to date as I have 6 BPRC locos. I can confirm that this is a brilliant way to control locos, especially small ones. No worries about track cleaning or dead frogs. This gives superbly reliable slow running. I can control all these locos from one Tx but limit myself to no more than two running on the same track at the same time. One downside to BPRC is that if a loco derails or hits another train it doesn't stop and this can cause damage.

My BPRC locos are all G scale where BPRC has been common for years. There really is something great about the loco carrying its own power source, possibly because you know it won't stall which makes it more realistic to drive. It will be interesting to see how this develops in the smaller scales; it will be a great development if it can be made easily adoptable. My other layouts are N gauge so I expect it will be some time before I am converting these to battery power.

Good for you.

This was not intended to be yet another thread for DC users to boast how rubbish DCC is.

Hmm...post #28, once the debate about whether DCC is favoured over DC in modern loco design had more or less petered out, we have:

as to why anyone would prefer DC over DCC , now thats beyond me , certainly for new layouts , why would anyone subject themselves to all the DC baseboard wiring and section switching and unprototypical running ?

Pot & kettle...

Feeling a bit guilty I have reignited the DC vs DCC conflict, it was not my intention.

Personally, I embrace the digital / IT age at work or in other hobbies, but it seemes an anathema to operate trains depicting a pre electronics era with the look and feel of 21st century gadgets.

Meanwhile, I also firmly believe that DCC is just a step along the road, and BPRC will be the next big thing. I considered being an early adopter, but decided to leave it to those with greater knowledge and inventiveness to mature the technology, get on with building Stourhampton, my layout, and jump ship at some point in the future.

rather selective ,

I mean we have electric point motors, electronics DC controllers with feedback , driving a model of a steam engine( with a modern electric motor )  that didnt see past 1940 etc .

Hmm...post #28, once the debate about whether DCC is favoured over DC in modern loco design had more or less petered out, we have:

Pot & kettle...

the thread is essentially about DC and DCC, because the contention advanced by posters was that loco were compromised by DCC wiring and several advanced views on DCC. anyway a good humoured debate is always interesting

On this forum

N gauge forum

G scale central

OK so DC layouts are in the minority

I like switches!

I'm going to build a whole lever frame of them - 32 levers wide - that will be both dc and dcc.

I'm in both camps and when, I turn my attention to BPRC, I will be in three camps as my layout will be controllable/compatible with all three!

Kev.

(Of course the huge great welephant in the room is "when"!)

Im building a 80 lever frame , that uses CBUS as a layout busses, I have no problem with switches, I have a huge issue with all the resultant wiring :onthequiet:  in plain DC layouts ( i.e. not using DCC for accessories or a layout bus ) 

2. Is not true, there are lots of questions on RMweb, on the line of 'How do I wire a simple layout for DC'? If DC was easier, this question wouldn't need to be asked.

I'm actually assisting a friend to wire a large layout for DC. He won't have a bar of DCC because of the usual story of 'I have too many locos, to buy decoders for'. He does indeed have a LOT and they still keep getting delivered!

He has no clue about wiring at all, whether its for DCC or DC, so complexity of either one, isn't the issue. I've tried to show him how to solder droppers, to at least speed up the process, but to no avail. The projects just going to take longer...

For his layout, undoubtedly DCC would be MUCH easier, to wire up for train control only and for the return loop. The latter is something he's panicking over, despite my assurances that it won't be a major issue (we have yet to start wiring that portion of the layout and indeed the track plan, still isn't finalised).

I can see why some people enjoy wiring a layout for DC and certainly they need to properly understand the principles and know what a relay does.

For me, I'm over wiring for DC & any future layout of mine will be DCC.

My experience of helping wiring layouts for others, If you have someone with little or no knowledge of electrics, then DC layouts of any complexity is like looking into a forest. DCC ( as it pertains to layout wiring) is easier , but " the fear of the unknown " is what puts people of

My cars a Rolls Royce therefore should I argue that its better than another make? (It isn't a RR anyway!)

Come on guys.... DC or DCC its a personal choice.  Both offer different control methods and a means to the same end.

Time to put this never ending argument to bed I feel - Mods???

Archived