RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

4 hours ago, Ashley Bridge said:

What is confusing is that half the clientele of a “petrol station” only go there to buy fags or milk.

B.A. Humbug

At one time I got a bit confused about this as I ran a diesel car - was I in fact visiting a 'diesel station' or a 'fuel station'. My father in law had a better compromise as he called it a petrol garage.

• Friendly/supportive 3

6 hours ago, Brownieinoz said:

I’ve been so inspired by this layout of yours I’ve adapted the main crossover section into my new layout. This thread has been an amazing how-to go-to!

70A10ED2-62D1-4745-838A-CFF6123A596B.jpeg

Many thanks, glad my little old Little Muddle could be of assistance...

• Friendly/supportive 2

22 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I still say, "No". If it's only a railcar then I would describe it as a railcar, not a train. Personal opinion.

For what it's worth (nothing), I'm with Mick.  The definition I have is "a number of vehicles or pack animals moving in a line", and whilst one may reasonably assert that one is a number, you can't have a line with just one.

I'm also with Mick in that no one is interested in my opinion.  My wife certain never is, and therefore, neither am I,

Edit: apologies for posting out of sequence: this thread leapt ahead and disappeared out of sight whilst I was composing my limited thought (singular).

Goodnight.

Edited by aardvark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, aardvark said:

For what it's worth (nothing), I'm with Mick.  The definition I have is "a number of vehicles or pack animals moving in a line", and whilst one may reasonably assert that one is a number, you can't have a line with just one.

I'm also with Mick in that no one is interested in my opinion.  My wife certain never is, and therefore, neither am I,

Edit: apologies for posting out of sequence: this thread leapt ahead and disappeared out of sight whilst I was composing my limited thought (singular).

Goodnight.

That may well be so in general usage but in railway operations a light locomotive is definitely a train.

See BR General Appendix 1972, pages 85/ 86 (extract):

WORKING OF PASSENGER AND FREIGHT TRAINS

Standard classification and code of head lamps or discs

Description of train

Light locomotive, light locomotives coupled, or locomotive with brake tender(s). Locomotive with not more than two brake vans.

There is also no distinction in the classifications of passenger trains between loco-hauled trains, multiple unit trains, push-pull trains, railcars, railbuses or anything else.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Parcel just arrived.

So next project has determined itself...

IMG_1660.jpg.a70f628d7e43f55c005615bf8f92e23b.jpg

I have to say this one seems even older and more battered than my one I found.

All the bits seem OK apart from a broken tie bar which I could remove if I did model W1 though I'm not sure how many would be running in the late 30's

• Like 13

Am I glad I didn't get rid of the box of unbuilt wagon kits nearly twenty years ago when I gave up on the idea of building a layout. (Though I do regret getting rid of the built and finished items, someone probably has an outside frame GW brake van with RW written on the floor!)

It's a real shame that so many of the kit manufacturers have gone. Not all of us want shiny rtr instant collectors items!

I had better get a bit of a production line going to create stock for my layout as I have only built half a dozen so far, or stick them all on eBay and buy myself a yacht / biplane / French villa...

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Lime wash in cattle wagons was ceased in 1927. LM is set in the 1930s.

Question - would Lime wash still be visible on an old, W5 (1902-1911) cattle wagon?  Discuss.

My solitary cattle wagon, a Bachmann ex LMS in BR livery (yes, I know, wrong body length) has bits of straw sticking out of the lower slats, actually the fibres from reed diffuser reeds.  I'm liking the 'slurry' weathering of Kevin's wagon, and might have an attempt at this next time I've got the weathering wash out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

My solitary cattle wagon, a Bachmann ex LMS in BR livery (yes, I know, wrong body length) has bits of straw sticking out of the lower slats, actually the fibres from reed diffuser reeds.  I'm liking the 'slurry' weathering of Kevin's wagon, and might have an attempt at this next time I've got the weathering wash out.

Dry brushing....

I think I must put more paint on the cloth than I do on the model.

Load up the brush then wipe most of it off...…!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, KNP said:

At least it got to the signal leading into the station!

2914.jpg.cfefde92ec58b81b8a6264dccbefdd7f.jpg

There's almost a suggestion of condensation on the inside of the windows on a cold morning.

You can imagine a young lad drawing a "Chad" on the glass with his finger. (Chad was created in 1938 according to Wikipedia - just about within period. Phew!)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

For some reason that picture makes me think of riding on ancient Midland Red buses as a kid. The whole thing shook and rattled when stationary, smelled of stale air, old upholstery, hot motor oil and cigarette smoke.

I avoid travelling on modern buses, (it's cheaper to travel by1961 Cadillac for a start) they smell of plastic, stale air and even staler passengers. Bleh.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Over heard on the Railcar...

Mummy, Mummy, are we there yet?

'Ang on love, I'll ask the Conductor.

'Ere,'scuse me, how long till we get there?

At this rate, madam, about next Thursday.

Next Thursday?! I've got to get my Bert's dinner in the oven.

Who's got one in the oven? Ohh, they are a rum lot in Little Muddle. 

Little Fiddle if you ask me.

Who's on the fiddle? It'll be them Cathcotts if you ask me, shifty looking pair if ever I saw one.

Mummy, Mummy, are we there yet?

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Harlequin said:

(Chad was created in 1938 according to Wikipedia - just about within period. Phew!)

He seems to have dropped off the radar now, though.  He was still very popular on the railway in my time in 70s, at least on my part of it, where I called him 'Wotno' until I was corrected.  I always thought he was a wartime creation to do with rationing, but clearly not; my day has not been wasted and I've learned something!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, KNP said:

P1140310.JPG.0d90059c54c2064bc0ddbac2253dc1ed.JPG

Hang on, what's that in the background!

KNP darling, wh're didst thee obtaineth the gaslight, in the backeth did grind to the right of the cow cart?

• Funny 2