Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Beautifully painted  figures - especially the yellow oilskins ! Does the milkman have any gold top milk on the float ( will we have a horse drawn milk float one day ?) 

I think its Langley models who do Milk Floats.

21 hours ago, KNP said:

I don’t know as I haven’t painted the tops of the milk bottles yet, so I could paint some gold tops for you!!!!

Regarding the oilskins that was a toned thin yellow painted over the grey of the figure left showing the grey grinning through.

Not finished yet as I have the faces and other details to do

Interesting to see the comments about bottle tops - obviously Red and Green are a recent idea....

But in the 30's would there have been Silver (Pasteurised) and Gold (Creamy version) ?

21 hours ago, KNP said:

I think they are as they seem to be the same design! There is another one holding a broom so they must be triplets….!

I have tried them ou from a firm called Scale 3D, they do a very good range so I expect I shall get some more in the near future.

Thats interesting Kevin, I've not heard of Scale 3D. Obviously there is also Hardy hobbies, perhaps for background characters.

20 hours ago, JustinDean said:

They look great Kevin - I really should pluck up the courage to have a go at figure painting myself!

Jay

Have a go Jay, its very therapeutic - although to fill a carriage you need loads!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Interesting to see the comments about bottle tops - obviously Red and Green are a recent idea....

But in the 30's would there have been Silver (Pasteurised) and Gold (Creamy version) ?

Not 30s but I remember red and green from the 70s.  In the case of the farm around the corner from where we obtained our deliveries of unpasteurised whole milk I think green replaced red at some point.

When did bottled milk first start being delivered?  A quick online search suggests glass milk bottles were in use from late C19th but I recall my grandparents telling me about taking their own jugs to buy milk.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Domestic electric refrigerators came in during the latter half of the 1920s and by the 1930s had a small freezer compartment.

Until the 60s or possibly even later that was known as an ice box rather than a freezer compartment.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, St Enodoc said:

Until the 60s or possibly even later that was known as an ice box rather than a freezer compartment.

Would that be because the term originated in the US and 'freezer compartment' had too many syllables? 😀

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Does the milkman have any gold top milk on the float

21 hours ago, KNP said:

I could paint some gold tops for you

Make sure you get that ghostly look...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

A milk cart and milkman would make a nice little cameo scene, particularly if there was a son or daughter assisting.

It's comming to Newton Regis sometime, not sure when, but it is and I have a lovely little etched brass Trigger powered milk float kit, from, I think, Shirescenes, obtained from a member here when moving up to the Senior Scale.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Neal Ball said:

I think its Langley models who do Milk Floats.

Thats interesting Kevin, I've not heard of Scale 3D. Obviously there is also Hardy hobbies, perhaps for background characters.

Have a go Jay, its very therapeutic - although to fill a carriage you need loads!

No carriages to fill as I’m modelling the Cromford & High Peak! 
Unless I model one of the rail tours and fill brake vans or open wagons with little people. 
Hmmmmm. I’m feeling a distraction coming on. 

Jay

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

A difficult picture to date , it shows urban milk deliveries in glass bottles in pre war Maida Vale ( Mirror.co.uk)

C07ED972-BE1F-438B-B05A-0B6940035450.jpeg

"Free from Preservatives" 😎

Note also the cases / trunks on the roof. Presumably the milkman is doing deliveries to the station as well.

• Like 2

According to Google, gold top milk only came in during the early 1950s, once regular high-cream supplies started arriving from the Channel Islands.  As far as I know, standard milk has always had a silver top, presumably because that was the colour the foil came in by default!

Peter, Sidcup

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

As a kid I did a milk round circa 1960s. We had red - homogenised - and blue - TB tested - as well as silver top. I vaguely remember green top but can't recall what it was. There was also special milk for customers of at least one religion.

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ray H said:

As a kid I did a milk round circa 1960s. We had red - homogenised - and blue - TB tested - as well as silver top. I vaguely remember green top but can't recall what it was. There was also special milk for customers of at least one religion.

Green top was raw milk. One of my biology teachers used to recommend it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I remember when I was at school there was an old 30s Bedford milk lorry dumped on a local farm and the notice boards behind the cab bore the legend "T.T.Milk" meaning tuberculin tested, not dodging telephone poles and tractors at 100mph.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I remember when I was at school there was an old 30s Bedford milk lorry dumped on a local farm and the notice boards behind the cab bore the legend "T.T.Milk" meaning tuberculin tested, not dodging telephone poles and tractors at 100mph.

Farms would proclaim that their herds were "TT attested" well into the 60s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Difficult to get that shot at full size. (Usually because some polite soul steps in front of you with a giant camera) The picture does give the impression of bulk and you could be looking at the real thing. 

Someone post a black and white version with the contrast turned way up please!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Another day ; but the chap in the lorry is annoyed that the newspaper headlines are the same as they were yesterday, it looks as though it’s going to de a quiet day in the goods yard too.. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5