Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, KNP said:

Ahhh…. but what if they have 4 wheels?

That's cheaper than having six wheels.

4 hours ago, John Besley said:

Smokebox dart...?

Is completely invisible because it is inside the smokebox.  (sorry but I do get somewhat humpy every time I see the term misused - what you see outside the smokebox are the smokebox door handles one of which rotates the dart through, ideally,,90 degrees in order to help keep the fdoo shut tight and the other handle is then screwed tight to hold it securely closed up to it.

If you look at the photo  linkedbelow you will see an item labelleded 'crssbar' extendinf g across the inside of the smokebox witha horizontal slot in the moddle of it.  The dart is passed through that slot and the handle outside the somokebox is then set to a vertical position (usually downwrds which turn the dart to put it at 90 degrees to the slot.  The other handle is then screwed tight on the handle which turns the dart oin order to prevent it from moving.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tanllan/16356622666

The photo at top left in this advert shows reasonablt typically  what a a smokebox dart really looks lik.

https://www.pnp-railways.co.uk/product/handwheel-lever-dart-smokebox-door-set/ 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 12

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Is completely invisible because it is inside the smokebox.  (sorry but I do get somewhat humpy every time I see the term misused - what you see outside the smokebox are the smokebox door handles one of which rotates the dart through, ideally,,90 degrees in order to help keep the fdoo shut tight and the other handle is then screwed tight to hold it securely closed up to it.

Absolutely correct, I should have known better,  I did mean smokebox door handles - thank you the correction

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, KNP said:

And what on earth would you talk about if I fixed it and....

and...unloaded the crate!!!!

Ehhhh, see I was only thinking of you lot?

The condition of the door, or the crate for that matter doesn't actually matter to me, they're fine as they are.

I just wanted to be the first one to bring it up for a change...😆

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

On 18/02/2023 at 08:02, KNP said:

Back to me today, I'm afraid, Bradley’s gone home.

So I better be on my top game from now on.....!!

OK, lets push the boat out with a high tide....!

5204.gif.ec05dc3bef66ee73177074afa92ceb32.gif

You know that's cheating don't you 🤣🤣🤣 Nice picture 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Chris116 said:
8 hours ago, Ponthir28 said:

Blame the signalman.

The driver took the road to get there so also to blame!

Not sure. I presumed the signal on the end of the viaduct only signalled into the platform, so was the home. But as there is a distant on the same post I guess there should be a signal between the viaduct and the platform, making the signal at the viaduct an outer home. 

I can't see a signal of any description between the viaduct and the platform that gives a signalled route to any other part of LM ? So maybe the autotrailer has to be shunted out of the way to enable the signalled route into the platform to be cleared?

Not that I am a signal engineer  or a signaller btw. . . . 🤔

Edited by Fishplate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1