RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, aardvark said:

And there was me thinking it only had a roof vent on one side.

There Is just one for the non-mooing end.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Sorry, another nautical intrusion, but just stumbled across this great pic of an East coast barge a long way from home

s-l1600.jpg

and thought it might be of interest here.

I've not found a dated version, but it must be after 1870 and my gut feel is before 1910. Perhaps someone who knows the place/when the background buildings were erected could narrow it down. The barge has a sprit main but gaff mizzen - archaic, but also indicative of longer coastwise trips - and, of course, bowsprit seen steeved well up. I think the cargo hatch is open and the hatch boards are stacked up on the port side - visible to us. If she arrived laden it's very possible she unloaded directly into horse wagons there on the beach at low tide (the beach and walls look pretty dry, so I think we're looking at the harbour at about half flood rather than half ebb).

Nice chance to compare types not often seen together, too. The barge looks like a big example, as you'd expect, perhaps over 100 GRT (a Register Ton being a unit of volume - 100 cubic feet - Gross meaning all enclosed space. Here we can think of it as a shorthand for hull size). The ketch - the archetypal workhorse of the Western Channel, Celtic and Irish seas - looks a little smaller at perhaps 70-80 GRT, at the skinny end of typical. The two types were the quintessential coasters of East and West c.1880-1920 and it's fun to be able to see them side by side.

Across the quay, a brace of topsail schooners - perhaps 120-150GRT - without which no British pre-War harbour scene would be complete!

The small craft look to be working and fishing boats, not leisure, which also supports an earlyish date.

Newquay primarily traded china clay, iron ore and grain out; coal, manure, salt and limestone in. Has the Londoner, full of sh*t and out of place as a spare prick at a wedding, turned up for a summer Cornwall...?!

Nice to see the big Beetle btw. Very seasonal: we've just been discussing maybugs elsewhere!

Edited by Schooner
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

6 hours ago, Schooner said:

Sorry, another nautical intrusion, but just stumbled across this great pic of an East coast barge a long way from home

s-l1600.jpg

and thought it might be of interest here.

I've not found a dated version, but it must be after 1870 and my gut feel is before 1910. Perhaps someone who knows the place/when the background buildings were erected could narrow it down. The barge has a sprit main but gaff mizzen - archaic, but also indicative of longer coastwise trips - and, of course, bowsprit seen steeved well up. I think the cargo hatch is open and the hatch boards are stacked up on the port side - visible to us. If she arrived laden it's very possible she unloaded directly into horse wagons there on the beach at low tide (the beach and walls look pretty dry, so I think we're looking at the harbour at about half flood rather than half ebb).

Nice chance to compare types not often seen together, too. The barge looks like a big example, as you'd expect, perhaps over 100 GRT (a Register Ton being a unit of volume - 100 cubic feet - Gross meaning all enclosed space. Here we can think of it as a shorthand for hull size). The ketch - the archetypal workhorse of the Western Channel, Celtic and Irish seas - looks a little smaller at perhaps 70-80 GRT, at the skinny end of typical. The two types were the quintessential coasters of East and West c.1880-1920 and it's fun to be able to see them side by side.

Across the quay, a brace of topsail schooners - perhaps 120-150GRT - without which no British pre-War harbour scene would be complete!

The small craft look to be working and fishing boats, not leisure, which also supports an earlyish date.

Newquay primarily traded china clay, iron ore and grain out; coal, manure, salt and limestone in. Has the Londoner, full of sh*t and out of place as a spare prick at a wedding, turned up for a summer Cornwall...?!

Nice to see the big Beetle btw. Very seasonal: we've just been discussing maybugs elsewhere!

Very nice picture and at least makes my one seem not out of place.

My eye was drawn to the beach detail and it looks like I need lots more barrels lying around!

Thanks

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Strange things are happening on this thread, when I click on the photo link on Schooners post, I get the picture above, when I click on the photo link in Kevin's reply I get the picture that should be in Schooners post. Neither of which open as a picture in the thread.

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Strange things are happening on this thread, when I click on the photo link on Schooners post, I get the picture above, when I click on the photo link in Kevin's reply I get the picture that should be in Schooners post. Neither of which open as a picture in the thread.

Someone turned the signpost round after the pub shut last night and you ended up in Much Muddle perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, cliff park said:

Regarding Schooner's picture, the first coloured photos were in the 1920s, and not common before the 50s so unlikely to be very early

I wonder if it is a hand coloured photo as it does look old.  By the time colour photography was well etsablished in the 1950s most harbour photos would show at least one ship/boat with an engine.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Agree 5

19 minutes ago, cliff park said:

the first coloured photos were in the 1920s, and not common before the 50s so unlikely to be very early

A good point, but as @DaveF notes, probably not of use here.

The absolute limits are from 1872 (when the pier opened to traffic) until 1926, when the track was lifted (the pier having closed the previous year due to declining traffic).

Whilst I appreciate in railway modelling terms this half-century of breakneck technological development gets lumped together as 'pre-Grouping', it would be nice to do a little better for our own interest...!

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3