Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Asking how she can get rid of those bl"'dy awful aphids that some I"*:'t decided to model when he did the roses, and the other is saying stirrup pump and some fairy washing up liquid Mavis.

Aphids  Mmmmm now there’s a modelling challenge

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Now for something completely different.

Can't remember where I saw it on this website but there had been some chat on speed blur.

So I thought I would have a go and it proved rather more difficult than first imagined.

Set the camera on aperture, speed 1/10sec I set the subject off moving along the track.

In this case I used my 48xx which is rather a good runner (must be one of the lucky ones!!), hand held the camera and tracked the loco focusing on the driver.

This was my best shot and I did give up after about 30 odd pictures, mainly trying to work out the correct setting.

Very difficult to keep level, steady and crosshairs in the same place to keep the loco in focus.

This was the best result.

Interesting experiment but not one I'm likely to repeat in a hurry.......

5478.JPG.da1befc57999c5c9fe7d81fe83dc77cf.JPG

I think it’s safer to stick to a steady trundle!

Jay

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Can't remember where I saw it on this website but there had been some chat on speed blur.

So I thought I would have a go and it proved rather more difficult than first imagined.

Set the camera on aperture, speed 1/10sec I set the subject off moving along the track.

In this case I used my 48xx which is rather a good runner (must be one of the lucky ones!!), hand held the camera and tracked the loco focusing on the driver.

This was my best shot and I did give up after about 30 odd pictures, mainly trying to work out the correct setting.

Very difficult to keep level, steady and crosshairs in the same place to keep the loco in focus.

This was the best result.

Interesting experiment but not one I'm likely to repeat in a hurry.......

5478.JPG.da1befc57999c5c9fe7d81fe83dc77cf.JPG

Well done for persevering and achieving the desired result - big tick for that. Photographers like that sort of thing, as it makes a statement about the loco and what it does, but fewer enthusiasts see it that way. We want to count the rivets and spokes! Motor sport elicits the same divergence of opinion about photographs - most petrolheads want to see every detail frozen in time, not arty-farty impressionism. 

I'm with you - pics of moving trains need a fast shutter speed and that's that. Your usual style of photo seems to please a lot of people on here. It ain't broke, so don't fix it. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Well done for persevering and achieving the desired result - big tick for that. Photographers like that sort of thing, as it makes a statement about the loco and what it does, but fewer enthusiasts see it that way. We want to count the rivets and spokes! Motor sport elicits the same divergence of opinion about photographs - most petrolheads want to see every detail frozen in time, not arty-farty impressionism. 

I'm with you - pics of moving trains need a fast shutter speed and that's that. Your usual style of photo seems to please a lot of people on here. It ain't broke, so don't fix it. 

Thanks

I’ll be sticking with my normal style of pictures as they have become second nature now and the layout/lighting is set up for it.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KNP said:

So I thought I would have a go and it proved rather more difficult than first imagined. .....

Some years ago I talked with Chris Vine (Peter's Railway) and the conversation turned to the photo he used to advertise the books (see https://petersrailway.com/how-it-works/ for the current one - usual disclaimer). He said he'd lost track of the number that he'd taken but it was well over a hundred. 

That got me thinking a bit (the ERs are now running for cover!) and after I started using digital cameras, I tried some of that style myself ... and anyone quoting Mr Clarkson ('How hard can it be'?) got a dirty look or an abrupt answer. 

However, one thing I did try which gave promising results was to adapt a filming technique known as tracking. 'Panning' is where you stay in one place and follow the subject with the camera. 'Tracking' is where the camera and you move with the subject - an example being at horse racing, they might have a camera car paralleling the race for tracking shots and several cameras in fixed locations which (may) pan round to provide the director's desired shots. Crews often dislike tracking, as they may have to build a little 'railway' (see the Alamo picture in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracking_shot#:~:text=In cinematography%2C a tracking shot is any shot,shot is referred to as a dolly shot.) over uneven ground for the camera. 

I built myself a little rig from some old Lego railway track and Technic, providing a platform for a small digital camera to sit on (an DSLR would be well out of gauge!) and some hinges meant I could alter the angle of the camera and lens. I didn't try but did wonder about mounting one on the roof of a radio controlled car. Recreating something like Kevin's picture above would be tricky, as I'd have to compensate for the curve, this would at best require a lot of packing and experimentation so the engine stayed in the same place in the lens rather than appearing to move down and up (thus blurring the frame). At worst this might make the shot impossible. I only tried on straight and level track and after a while it sort of worked. Time and events stopped me practising and improving to produce something publishable in a magazine but the results suggested the idea had some merits. I'm not sure where those frames are now (the place is in considerable chaos at the moment) but if I can find them, will post one. 

All of which I guess is a long winded way of saying I thoroughly understand why not many people use this technique. @KNP - if you do try again (ever) then it might be easier to try for one on the viaduct or over the dairy roof and build a temporary Little Muddle Inner Circle elevated line for the camera? 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

15 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

I hope the Squadron Leader is hanging out from an aircraft. Not a tree or he is doing it wrong.

Or got up early and in a sleep daze forgot his plane?

😳

• Funny 4