RMweb

Little Muddle

KNP

1 minute ago, John Besley said:

Guess they will all need additional buffers beams and buffers along with couplings?

They fitted buffers at both ends

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Did they just extend the water tank by cutting out the hopper part of the coal space and plating it over?

That’s the assumption I have worked on and is backed up by interpretation of pictures

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 minutes ago, KNP said:

That’s the assumption I have worked on and is backed up by interpretation of pictures

I know you said there isn't much to gone on but is there anything showing how the weedkiller was applied?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I know you said there isn't much to gone on but is there anything showing how the weedkiller was applied?

There are a few photos on Google showing the train in action

gwr-weedkilling-train-sprays-on-1938-12100238.jpg.webp.f29a64aea3ac5da9bce0255b7cddc0a3.webp

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

36 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

There are a few photos on Google showing the train in action

gwr-weedkilling-train-sprays-on-1938-12100238.jpg.webp.f29a64aea3ac5da9bce0255b7cddc0a3.webp

Yes, I have this and a few similar pictures. If memory serves this is the Taunton one and that tender colour does not read as green!!! Still puzzling that one.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Yes, I have this and a few similar pictures. If memory serves this is the Taunton one and that tender colour does not read as green!!! Still puzzling that one.

Could it be ( Departmental ) black ?… I ask tentatively . I’m a bit colour blind (so no authority) and I’ve been caught in that dilemma before in when  interpreting monochrome photograph replicating black or GWR green ? I have a couple of GWR 20 ton Loco coal wagons which I painted black following Jim Russel’s lead , only to find out that should have been left GWR grey .

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, KNP said:

What's the dome behind the two chaps in the middle? Compressed air tank?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Fair enough. Makes sense and a bit of a daft question on my part tbf; I phrased what I was getting at really badly!

I was just surprised that the raised sides of the coal space weren’t cut down level with the top of the water tank.

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

What's the dome behind the two chaps in the middle? Compressed air tank?

Possibly an air vessel for the water pump like the smaller one below?

8fc6fc_10ef6002854a44c6aa717aca2e3f78e1mv2.jpg.3fb7dcbf5824275354f5be64a93768b0.jpg

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly an air vessel for the water pump like the smaller one below?

8fc6fc_10ef6002854a44c6aa717aca2e3f78e1mv2.jpg.3fb7dcbf5824275354f5be64a93768b0.jpg

I don't think it's an air vessel. I think it's a pipe feeding the spray bar - which might not need a pump, just using siphon action.

• Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I don't think it's an air vessel. I think it's a pipe feeding the spray bar - which might not need a pump, just using siphon action.

Looking at other photos of the same train (image search for “GWR weed killing train” on Google, can’t link to relevant photo), there does seem to be a pump with an air vessel like that in @MrWolf’s photo.

It’s a fascinating train (definite shades of Heath Robinson) and an interesting use of redundant/spare tenders. I thought weed killing trains were a relatively recent thing, but obviously not. Sadly a quick search for an LMS version (preparatory work for a future project!) turned up just two images and only in one of these are all the vehicles visible.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Looking at other photos of the same train (image search for “GWR weed killing train” on Google, can’t link to relevant photo), there does seem to be a pump with an air vessel like that in @MrWolf’s photo.

It’s a fascinating train (definite shades of Heath Robinson) and an interesting use of redundant/spare tenders. I thought weed killing trains were a relatively recent thing, but obviously not. Sadly a quick search for an LMS version (preparatory work for a future project!) turned up just two images and only in one of these are all the vehicles visible.

Logically there must have been some kind of pump to get the water from the other tenders through to the sprayer. 

Even the Isle of Wight had it's own weed killing train, made out of a pair of old tank wagons and an antiquated brake van...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

20 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

So will your weed killing train spray real weed-killer or just plain water?

Just water I’m afraid as I’m not licensed for anything else….!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I dread to think what the weed killer would have been- Sodium Chlorate?

I certainly wouldn't have liked to get any on my skin - no protective gear being worn I notice.

Agree

I was amazed how lacking in any type of protection or care for their own safety there was. Spray everywhere in the wind and not a goggle in sight.

Different era…..!!!

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, KNP said:

Agree

I was amazed how lacking in any type of protection or care for their own safety there was. Spray everywhere in the wind and not a goggle in sight.

Different era…..!!!

Definitely not. Always remember being told about a weedkiller salesman who used to demonstrate how safe it was by putting his arm in the sprayer tank to stir it. He was selling to farmers so you can imagine how big the tank must have been. Anyway his arm eventually went a nice shade of yellow due to the repeated dipping. As you say different days.

• Informative/Useful 3

24 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Definitely not. Always remember being told about a weedkiller salesman who used to demonstrate how safe it was by putting his arm in the sprayer tank to stir it. He was selling to farmers so you can imagine how big the tank must have been. Anyway his arm eventually went a nice shade of yellow due to the repeated dipping. As you say different days.

Just think what they must have been inhaling

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

That sounds like good old warm, fluffy, Paraquat.

Lovely stuff.

Not.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1