The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Thomas Theme

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

When Thomas came to TV, I loved the sets and rolling stock used. Only slight downside was the Tenmille wagons which were too realistic.

Very disappointed to see the other day that the programme no longer uses models but is all CGI animation.

They have also stopped re-runs of the Awdrey story based, Ringo Starr voiced episodes, in favour of politically correct, multi-racial, Disney-esq schmultz. I don't let LJ watch them.

More years ago than I care to recall, I had the opportunity to visit the late lamented David Mitton and see the original model Thomases in production.  The camera technology developed by David Mitton's colleague seemed very advanced for the time with the ability to track the same shot repeatedly.  The sets were, of course, pretty large to accommodate the large scale models and a great amount of work was required to produce them.  I was also a little surprised to learn that there were no points in any of the track schemes.  One run by a train might require moving between several unconnected sets.  In summary, it cannot have been cheap to produce and CGI must be much more cost effective!

Overall, I don't much care for the way in which Britt Allcroft has developed the franchise.  Wikipedia indicates that she is the "creator" of the children's television series of Thomas, which is far from the whole truth.  However, she certainly has proven to have a talent for making money from the deals she has done.  Finally, anyone who dislikes the CGI version should see what the Canadian version (with added magic and fantasy) looks like!!

Archived