ESU V4 Sound intermitantly stops working help please

GOING-LOCO

I recently bought a Hornby city of Liverpool loco with a v4 ESU sound chip fitted upon running it I found it would run 3-4 times round the layout without any issue then the sound would go off and back on intermittently any help would be gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

I recently bought a Hornby city of Liverpool loco with a v4 ESU sound chip fitted upon running it I found it would run 3-4 times round the layout without any issue then the sound would go off and back on intermittently any help would be gratefully received.

Not an expert but just a few thoughts, is it new, who fitted it, what speaker are you using.  It may be that the speaker arrangement is overloading the chip and resetting.  but its only a guess.  the chip needs to be put on a tester really.

Doug

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Try turning the volume down using the CV's.

If the volume is on full it can cause the V4 to go into overload/overheat protection mode causing the sound to cut off.

I've found that quite a lot of the V4 chips are set like this from new.

Just turning the volume down by 25% helps avoid this.

Thanks

As suggested  - try turning down the volume using CV 63  the range is 0-192  if it's set to max, try re-setting it to around 120 - 130  

If overheating is the problem then it could cause these symptoms, but a properly installed v4 with a speaker of the correct impedance can be run at full volume for long periods (indefinitely actually) with no adverse effects. We do this all the time at shows. It might be worth checking that there is nothing to impede airflow around the chip as a first step. When the sounds cuts out, does the loco still move and the lights still work, or are they affected as well? If the latter, you probably have a dirty track or poor pickup problem.

If overheating is the problem then it could cause these symptoms, but a properly installed v4 with a speaker of the correct impedance can be run at full volume for long periods (indefinitely actually) with no adverse effects. We do this all the time at shows. It might be worth checking that there is nothing to impede airflow around the chip as a first step. When the sounds cuts out, does the loco still move and the lights still work, or are they affected as well? If the latter, you probably have a dirty track or poor pickup problem.

Now that's what I call 24 hour service ! and no all out charge either !

Above and beyond the call of duty Bif !

Thank you for all your replies, I am really sorry but it is the v3.5 not the v4 I have three Duchess sound loco's two of which are v4.  In reply the loco keeps running fine when the sound goes off, I have re-soldered all of the connections and still the same issue. The one thing that has started to concern me it the controller locked up last night the left side would do nothing and was totally unresponsive until I reset.

Just a thought could a lack of track connections to the bus cause this as I am still fitting the track I have only installed 4-5 droppers on a 32 feet oval of track so far, The bus and dropper wires are the proper size, I decided to also try another sound loco today with a TTS decoder and found it also very rarely stopped the sound but no where near as much or in the same places as the Duchess. I will fit some more droppers tonight and let you know the outcome.

Archived