Securing Micro LEDs

Moggs Eye

Hi,

I'm currently working on some 4mm semaphore signals and have obtained some micro LEDs for the signal lamps.

Considering the fragile nature of the LEDs what glue should I use to secure them in the drilled out lamps?

Thanks for your time.

Ben.

Generally the best is epoxy if the led is to be fitted in a recess or on a flat area, in a hole a dab of Uhu would suffice, but again epoxy is best, it is a good insulator as well.

I am assuming really tiny surface mount type? or are they tiny plastic lens types? With epoxy it can cover the led and still allow light through. it also allows a bit of adjustment during the setting time.

Stephen

Strange this should come up right now as I am currently building two Kibri kits - the plasser and theurer tamper and dynamic rail stabiliser. Both have flashing orange beacons on the roof.

I've drilled 1mm holes beneath the beacon and threaded some 0.5mm nano smds through securing the wires in place with UHU to the cab roofs (very fine wire so once painted you wont even notice them). I killed two of them but at literally pennies imported from China I am not too fussed - the other two are fine.

I have then attached the beacon housing using canopy glue. Once set I tested them yesterday and they look great! Ultimately fitting running lights and powered bogies too and DCC chip. 

Of course I could have used 3mm leds - but that would ruin the look on the roof - another alternative is use the 3mm leds, attach some heat shrink with some optical fibre cable and then use that instead of nano smds.

So basically though is nano smds can cope with canopy glue / pva and/or epoxy I agree that micro leds will be fine too!

The nano leds 'pot' nicely inside a drilled out beacon and the smd type stick underneath once you have made a flat face. Some black paint is then required to prevent light bleed into the cabin.

The important thing is to rig them and check they work before committing to final assembly.

I'm just about to blue light my Coast Guard Landie and boat trailer.

The nano leds 'pot' nicely inside a drilled out beacon and the smd type stick underneath once you have made a flat face. Some black paint is then required to prevent light bleed into the cabin.

The important thing is to rig them and check they work before committing to final assembly.

I'm just about to blue light my Coast Guard Landie and boat trailer.

Yeah definitely - I checked mine for that reason - quick to replace them anyway and all working o can continue the build now.

Archived