Go for it mate. Best way to get experience is practising  with older less expensive models.  weathered up and Rusted up many an older Triang / Hornby  Mineral wagon or box van that were worn out and otherwise not much use to me as a child so give it a go. If you don't like the result first time try again.

Good luck Trailrage     

• RMweb Gold

If you're looking to practice your painting and weathering skills, does it matter how good (or otherwise) your test models are before you start?

All that really matters is that you use something you're not likely to be too worried about ruining.

Apart from cheap (often rough) secondhand models (available at some model shops and a number of model railway exhibitions), it might also be worth checking RTR manufacturers' stands at some of the larger shows. Some manufacturers have been known to sell "reject" loco, wagon or coach bodies cheaply, precisely for this purpose.

If you were to ask enough members of this site, you'd probably find that a number of people use similar models as "test hacks" for skill building exercises - and definitely not just for painting.

For example, I've got a couple of old German outline Lima EMU sets (very cheap when I got them - and worth even less now, because one of them got "mangled" over the years). They were never rare - and they're not now, decades later. This doesn't worry me, because the damaged one is providing me with a cheap way to experiment with stuff like - rebuilding chassis and interiors - sorting out recessed glazing - and even adding homebrew LED lighting.

I don't know if it'll ever get finished (particularly to any sort of standard) - I don't know if I'm even worried - and I certainly don't know if I'll ever post progress photos on sites like this. What I definitely know is that I'll learn a lot from it - and I'll have an enormous amount of fun in the process.

Isn't that what railway modelling is supposed to be all about?

Huw.

Are the Hornby vans the Kit Kat, Weetabix, Smiths Crisps, etc. type?

If so, then they are a pretty decent model of a Hull & Barnsley Railway van. A bit of work and they can turn out rather good.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66764-Hornby-kitkat-van-and-similar-prototype/

Go for it.

Jason

On 20/03/2017 at 00:44, Steamport Southport said:

Are the Hornby vans the Kit Kat, Weetabix, Smiths Crisps, etc. type?

If so, then they are a pretty decent model of a Hull & Barnsley Railway van. A bit of work and they can turn out rather good.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/66764-Hornby-kitkat-van-and-similar-prototype/

Go for it.

Jason

• Mookie changed the title to .

Archived