Wanted - Wiking HO VW Passat (1980's style)

TEAMYAKIMA

N or HO?

Many apologies - HO - have now added that to the thread title.

You'd be wanting a Type B2 Passat or Santana, then.

Hello Horsetan

You seem to know much more about this than I do ( I don't even drive and know very little about cars ) and so you might be able to help with the exact description. I model Chinese and I'm told that in the 1990s VW sold the 1980s Passat tooling to China - is that right?

Regards and thanks to you both

Paul

....You seem to know much more about this than I do ( I don't even drive and know very little about cars ) and so you might be able to help with the exact description. I model Chinese and I'm told that in the 1990s VW sold the 1980s Passat tooling to China - is that right?

The B2 tooling (or some of it) did go to China, and I think it was the Shanghai Auto Works that built it for a great many years after it had left the scene in Europe. Unfortunately, at some point during its Chinese production life, the car was "restyled" - for want of a better word - using what appeared to be a B3 Passat front end, and a not particularly convincing new rear.

China also kept the Mk.2 Jetta and its successor, the Vento, in production until relatively recently.

Both the B2 Santana and the Mk.2 Jetta were very popular vehicles with Chinese taxi drivers in the early years, since these were some of the few foreign vehicles available at the time that they could actually buy.

Historically, VW's mid-range cars became China's "People's Car" because it was lucky enough to be given the joint-venture contracts for those particular categories.

The "large car" class was awarded to Audi, producing their 100 / A6 models, which were often the choice of bureaucrats and various Party officials, but it could have been very different because Citroen came very very close to taking the "large car" joint-venture contract. Had Citroen won, then the CX would have continued in production in China, no doubt to be followed by the Xm.

Is this the right sort?  It's Busch rather than Wiking though.

attachicon.gif2017-03-23 15.24.06.jpg

Yes, that's a B2.

Archived