Dapol Product Catalogues

classy52

Well after 9 months the Dapol Online Catalogue is still sub-par, almost like they can't be bothered.

Wanted to research their previous and current wagon releases and guess what, no OO wagon section, yes I do have their 2012/13 & 2014/15 print catalogues but as there has been nothing since they only help just a bit.

I do wish Dapol get their act together in regards to their catalogue because there nothing more frustrating trying to research and/or buy their products but not knowing the product codes and there is only so much Google can provide when searching, would be nice if Dapol could have an online catalogue of all their products past and present that were released for sale...honestly it is sometimes difficult to know what they have actually released???

Edited by classy52

Dapol were not like "most firms". To quote Pat Hammond in British Model Trains (3rd edition at least) "Stock was stored in various places including Boyle's own house. Form time to time, forgotten boxes of stock emerged...Some...was never advertised making it difficult to record what and when models were released."

..."the haphazard stock control exercised before the present management took over...resulted in stock being uncovered and offered for sale long after...they were sold out". Then there is duplication of Kader own tools that they did not have access to which has resulted in the same basic model seemingly appearing in Mainline, Replica, Dapol, Bachmann and Hornby (after been sold by Dapol) boxes; and the further confusion caused by the seemingly unnecessary duplication of Airfix GMR tools that they did have access to and the production, with either the Airfix GMR tool (later sold to Hornby) or their own copy, of wagons using identical artwork to that of ex Mainline stock they had earlier remarketed as being their own.

Would the Ramsay's British Model Trains books list these?

Good point, I've never owned one of these thus how good is it?

Anyway I would have to pay over 30 quid so I can find out about Dapol models, don't get me wrong it looks like a good catalogue and probably fulfil my requirements but Dapol really need to supply this for their own products without me resorting to a third party...I don't need to do this for either Hornby or Bachmann.

• RMweb Premium

Good point, I've never owned one of these thus how good is it?

Anyway I would have to pay over 30 quid so I can find out about Dapol models, don't get me wrong it looks like a good catalogue and probably fulfil my requirements but Dapol really need to supply this for their own products without me resorting to a third party...I don't need to do this for either Hornby or Bachmann.

Unfortunately I don't have it.

Edited by Tim Dubya

My Ramsays British Model Trains 3rd edition is a 2002 publication. Think the most recent is the ninth edition. You get a history of the firm and listings of the models with a range of prices thought to be the value of each specific version of a model along with a few photos and comments as Pat considers necessary on individual models. I have the first three but IIRC they were all bought at highly reduced prices. Personally I would rather Pat spent more time on his History of Triang/Rovex/Hornby series which seems to ground to a halt in 1996.

Despite the issues outlined by Butler Henderso I still don't understand why Dapol can't issue a catalogue of the items that they know that they have for sale.

Basically what I've been saying, they release an online catalogue to replace their paper version but it's still incomplete which tells me they haven't really had any control over their historical and current inventory or a suitable database in place that allows them transfer that data into a meaningful format for customers to view.

Like I said before I just think they can't be bothered and it's been over 9 months since they introduced the online catalogue...think it's time to move on now and close this off, I'm done now talking about it too be honest.